Notices

BFG KM2 Ride Quality

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
tr0gd0r is on a distinguished road
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tr0gd0r
BFG KM2 Ride Quality

So I broke down and ordered 4 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2 mostly for looks and because the Rugged Trails absolutely sucked for anything except dry pavement.

The KM2s only come in Load Range E. Am I for a huge difference in ride quality from stock? Should I have gone with a different tire?

I understand I am in a truck and therefore it should ride rougher than a car, but I don't want something that's going to be unbearable.

Its too late to cancel now, but I thought I'd get some opinions. I know there are quite a few members of TW that have KM2s. Can you chime in?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
At's ko's would have probably been a better choice .
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
The AT KOs are also only available in Load Range E so I felt the ride would be just as bad. Not to mention that the KOs are 1 lb heavier according to Tire Rack.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Ko's would have been quieter and smoother and could get twice the milage . The e rating won't make much of a difference . Mt's are still a good tire just not sure if you're going to like them on the street after 7k miles or so .
Old 12-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same tires as you. Just expect them to ride like a mud terrain, they're fairly loud. The best way I can describe them to you (don't know if you've ever had mud tires before), is that coming from the Rugged Trails, they feel like they're kind of flat all the time. They're knobby and not exactly smooth, but I've gotten used to them after a couple thousand miles. They are awesome offroad, I've gone to places where I would've gotten stuck in my Rugged Trails in 4LO, and I drive right through in 2HI with my KM2's.

Matt
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
So I broke down and ordered 4 265/75/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2 mostly for looks and because the Rugged Trails absolutely sucked for anything except dry pavement.

The KM2s only come in Load Range E. Am I for a huge difference in ride quality from stock? Should I have gone with a different tire?

I understand I am in a truck and therefore it should ride rougher than a car, but I don't want something that's going to be unbearable.

Its too late to cancel now, but I thought I'd get some opinions. I know there are quite a few members of TW that have KM2s. Can you chime in?

better off just reading a thread on the same exact topic just different size

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post3143870

90% of us in there are running KM2's.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
I had KM2s on my Nissan. They will be the next tire on the Tacoma. They are the quietest M/T I have ever had, they last forever.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post

Am I for a huge difference in ride quality from stock?
Yes
Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Yes
Ok Whippersnapper...

Matt
Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
No complaints about mine. Way more quiet on the road compared to other MT's I've had but still have a slight rumble. You'll notice the lugs causing some slight bumpiness to the ride at lower speeds but anything over 50mph & smoothes out.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Ok Whippersnapper...

Matt
wut

To say there won't be a difference in ride between the E rated KM2's and the P rated stockers is simply not reasonable
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #12

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
wut

To say there won't be a difference in ride between the E rated KM2's and the P rated stockers is simply not reasonable
I understand that, I'm saying, people come on this forum to get real answers, not just a "yes" or "no".

Matt
Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
they have a much different ride than the rugged trails the KM2's are the quietest m/t i have driven in alongside the hankook m/t you'll like the tires i got 50k+ out of my two sets
Old 12-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdaddy View Post
they have a much different ride than the rugged trails the KM2's are the quietest m/t i have driven in alongside the hankook m/t you'll like the tires i got 50k+ out of my two sets
That's good to hear.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
My KM2's ride much better then my Duratracs ON ROAD and OFF. I have yet to sink the KM2's into a foot of snow, but this winter should be the first test.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
My KM2's ride much better then my Duratracs ON ROAD and OFF. I have yet to sink the KM2's into a foot of snow, but this winter should be the first test.
Love to hear that as my second choice was the Duratracs. It will be interesting to see how my KM2s do. We have a couple of inches of snow here.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Sorry to threadjack OP, but Skip were your Duratracs C or E?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Sorry to threadjack OP, but Skip were your Duratracs C or E?
C for my Duratracs. I put about 30k on them and they are currently my "winter" tires. Still have tons of tread left. Duratracs are much better in deep sugar sand. All other applications I feel the KM2's are better for though...well except snow. I have yet to test the KM2's in snow. If they are horrible Ill sipe the inner tread blocks.

For some reason I really like the firm ride of the KM2's E load on and off road. Maybe it's because I have my suspension set up with minimal lift so it's a little spongy
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
Used to have a Jeep Rubicon, traded it in on new Tacoma, it came with the Bfg M/T KM1. Went from those stock tires to the slightly taller KM2 255/80/17 and there was definitely a noticeable change in ride. It wasn't a huge difference but it was noticeably more stiff. The 2dr Rubicons certainly aren't known for their great ride and the KM2's did not help. In everything but ice they were great but when it's icey slick, they flat suck! Airing them down to 22ish lbs helps and I'm sure having them siped would help as well.