Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

A Little Help - General Grabber Info

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
60% of the time it works every time
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hollywood22's Tacoma Gallery
A Little Help - General Grabber Info

My stock Dunlops AT20's are at 90,000km's and I have been doing some research in the Wheels and Tires section for a tire replacement.

I'm looking at going up in size to a 265/70R17's and something that has more of an aggressive look, but won't crush my mpg's.

I've narrowed it down to a few tires but the General Grabber AT2's are on sale right now for a good price. $172.49each.

Any feedback from the guys/gals who are running this tire would be greatly appreciated. ride/change in mpg's/durability etc.

I did try and do a search but with no luck.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
they are great
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump
Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #4

Bump
Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood22 View Post
My stock Dunlops AT20's are at 90,000km's and I have been doing some research in the Wheels and Tires section for a tire replacement.

I'm looking at going up in size to a 265/70R17's and something that has more of an aggressive look, but won't crush my mpg's.

I've narrowed it down to a few tires but the General Grabber AT2's are on sale right now for a good price. $172.49each.

Any feedback from the guys/gals who are running this tire would be greatly appreciated. ride/change in mpg's/durability etc.

I did try and do a search but with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try Discount Tires direct website for reviews ??? or any other on-line tire stores site for the same.???

I have Grabber 2's BUT this is their 1st storm...so out of 8-10" of wet snow to move for the plow..just fine..out to the mailbox and back just fine... Now for real life ..my Michelin's LTX are the "Balls"...pulled my Ridgeline through blizzard conditions without a problem...

My advice, find a dealer you trust that will service all 3; tires ,vehicle and CUSTOMER for the life of the tires and make the purchase..

For the snow flakes...1) Nitto Terra Grapplers, 2) Grabber 2's or if $$$ is no problem MICHELIN's- these LTX's wear like iron ,no road noise and have traveled I-95 corridor for 50k...
Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
1500 mile review

I've had the Grabber AT2's on for about 2000 miles (~1 month). I use 265R16 on a TRD OR. My initial observations:

About .4 less mpg then the OEM tires (this may fluctuate slightly as I get more miles on)

During the recent storm I drove 85 miles on the highway in poor road conditions a few inches of snow/slush/ice. There were a few accidents the the traffic varied from people doing 15mph to semis trying to do 60. I was able to hold the reduced speed limit of 45mph without any problem (where conditions permitted). The Tacoma felt sure footed but you are still subject to those around you.

Road noise is slightly greater, grip is great, wet performance is good.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
Did you try Discount Tires direct website for reviews ??? or any other on-line tire stores site for the same.???

I have Grabber 2's BUT this is their 1st storm...so out of 8-10" of wet snow to move for the plow..just fine..out to the mailbox and back just fine... Now for real life ..my Michelin's LTX are the "Balls"...pulled my Ridgeline through blizzard conditions without a problem...

My advice, find a dealer you trust that will service all 3; tires ,vehicle and CUSTOMER for the life of the tires and make the purchase..

For the snow flakes...1) Nitto Terra Grapplers, 2) Grabber 2's or if $$$ is no problem MICHELIN's- these LTX's wear like iron ,no road noise and have traveled I-95 corridor for 50k...
Thanks for the input. Ya I've been looking at a couple of different sites for reviews but the ones I have been on haven't really covered fuel efficiency. I will definitely take a look at those michelins. Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadippides View Post
I've had the Grabber AT2's on for about 2000 miles (~1 month). I use 265R16 on a TRD OR. My initial observations:

About .4 less mpg then the OEM tires (this may fluctuate slightly as I get more miles on)

During the recent storm I drove 85 miles on the highway in poor road conditions a few inches of snow/slush/ice. There were a few accidents the the traffic varied from people doing 15mph to semis trying to do 60. I was able to hold the reduced speed limit of 45mph without any problem (where conditions permitted). The Tacoma felt sure footed but you are still subject to those around you.

Road noise is slightly greater, grip is great, wet performance is good.
Thanks for the info man. That gives me a good idea what to expect if I end up pulling the trigger on these tires. That doesn't seem like that much of a change from the OEM tires. Are your tires 265/70r16 or 265/75r16?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood22 View Post
Thanks for the info man. That gives me a good idea what to expect if I end up pulling the trigger on these tires. That doesn't seem like that much of a change from the OEM tires. Are your tires 265/70r16 or 265/75r16?
265/70r16 same as stock
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Also, the majority of my miles is highway, I would expect the mpg to be worse with a more city bias as the tires are heavier than stock.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #11

I want to bump up a size from stock and go with the 265/70R17's. I drive mostly on the highway but I'm sure with the bigger size my mileage will suffer. Something I can except as long as its not too drastic.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Yeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really niceYeti75 is just really nice
Yeti75's Tacoma Gallery
Love my Grabber AT2's! I am no tire expert, but I think the big hit in gas mileage comes in width changes rather than height. I am sure it will be affected some, but not near as much as if you were going from 265 to 285. Could be wrong though? I went from 265/65/16 Michelin LTX MS2 to 285/60/18 AT2's and I did take a hit in mpg. You will definitely notice the ride quality difference going from the C load range to the E. Its not as smooth as the highway tires, obviously, and is a little bit noisier. As most people say though, it feels more like a truck. Neither are bad enough to make me want to go back, nor would I want to buy any other tire. These are wearing great, look friggin awesome, and get the job done in all weather. I do live in TX, so I dont have much experience with snow, but other than that.... good stuff! For prices on these, I would check out tirebuyer.com. I was going to purchase from here but found a user on here that had a slightly used set for sale and grabbed those instead so I cant give them a good rating, but their prices were better than anyone else I could find. Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti75 View Post
Love my Grabber AT2's! I am no tire expert, but I think the big hit in gas mileage comes in width changes rather than height. I am sure it will be affected some, but not near as much as if you were going from 265 to 285. Could be wrong though? I went from 265/65/16 Michelin LTX MS2 to 285/60/18 AT2's and I did take a hit in mpg. You will definitely notice the ride quality difference going from the C load range to the E. Its not as smooth as the highway tires, obviously, and is a little bit noisier. As most people say though, it feels more like a truck. Neither are bad enough to make me want to go back, nor would I want to buy any other tire. These are wearing great, look friggin awesome, and get the job done in all weather. I do live in TX, so I dont have much experience with snow, but other than that.... good stuff! For prices on these, I would check out tirebuyer.com. I was going to purchase from here but found a user on here that had a slightly used set for sale and grabbed those instead so I cant give them a good rating, but their prices were better than anyone else I could find. Hope this helps!
Helps a lot....thanks for your feedback.