Notices

different sized rear and front tires.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
ekapec is on a distinguished road
Name: Erik
ekapec's Tacoma Gallery
different sized rear and front tires.

So I just got studded tires put on my prerunner, but only on the back. I currently have 245/75/r16 on the front but 235/75/r16 on the back.

I just did a 3.5 hour drive and noticed signifigant loss on gas....did I make a poor choice? Anyone know of any other drawbacks for my choice?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I think the Tacoma is geared too low to begin with so going with smaller tires would just make the engine scream at highway speeds. If you're looking at this soley from the perspective of highway MPGs, then yes, you made a poor choice. If you're looking at it overall, you'll get slightly better acceleration in the snow/ice and might notice some better in town MPG. Personally, I'd have gone with studded snows all around. Putting them just on the back isn't the best idea. You need the front end to have grip for steering and stopping.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
ekapec is on a distinguished road
Name: Erik
ekapec's Tacoma Gallery
tires

thanks, they weren't too bad on the highways but I didn't have the money for all four. They were used and I got them for trading in my old snow tires from my nissan xe. Im planning on getting all seasons, 265's come april when studs are illegal to have.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Tire size affects effective gearing ratio of the differentials and transmission. With a manual tranny you can compensate some by altering your shift points. If it's an automatic you're going to see your highway mileage drop off a bit by having smaller tires on the driven axle.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekapec View Post
thanks, they weren't too bad on the highways but I didn't have the money for all four. They were used and I got them for trading in my old snow tires from my nissan xe. Im planning on getting all seasons, 265's come april when studs are illegal to have.
Just be careful in MA only having studs on the rear. The issue you can have is having too much traction in the rear and having the rear tires drive you through a corner (meaning they just push the front end straight forward instead of turning).
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Just be careful in MA only having studs on the rear. The issue you can have is having too much traction in the rear and having the rear tires drive you through a corner (meaning they just push the front end straight forward instead of turning).
If that happens, you are going too fast for conditions. Matching tires are the best bet. The best tires should be on the rear, if you can't match them.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
If that happens, you are going too fast for conditions. Matching tires are the best bet. The best tires should be on the rear, if you can't match them.
I've heard that one other time but I really disagree. I can at least somewhat follow the logic for a front-drive car but not for a rear drive pickup. I know they say put the better tires on the rear so the back end doesn't step out but I firmly believe that you're better off being able to stop and steer vs. being able to accelerate.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've heard that one other time but I really disagree. I can at least somewhat follow the logic for a front-drive car but not for a rear drive pickup. I know they say put the better tires on the rear so the back end doesn't step out but I firmly believe that you're better off being able to stop and steer vs. being able to accelerate.
I'm with Dave. If you can't stop or steer because it's slippery out, which set of tires you have on the front doesn't make a shit. You're drivin' to hairball for the weather.