1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Spacer Problems

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by EvanHimself, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:31 AM
    EvanHimself

EvanHimself [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Speed-Way Blue PreRunner
    K&N intake and filter, Alpine stereo with compact sub box, Borla catback exhaust, Toy Tec 1/4" front shock spacers, Weather tech black digital fit floor mats
    Hello, I'm new to this forum. Not too seem rude, but let me give y'all alittle background about me really quick. I've been in the auto industry all my life, built cars and trucks before. I own a hotrod mustang, and just recently was given my dads 05 pre-runner. I am currently going to UTI on the auto and diesel plan. I know what I'm talking about, but am willing to learn more.

Now onto my question. I recently leveled the frame on my tacoma, took the running boards off and put some 1.25" wheel spacers with stock rims. My dad put falcon rocky mountain all terrains on the truck before giving it to me. I've been having wheel shake problems with these tires before the spacers. They've been balanced 5 times already. However without the spacers the steering wheel shimmys barely enough to notice. Now with the spacers in its almost unbareable to drive past 50 mph. I've checked ball joints and outer tie rods and shocks. Nothing seems to be wore out enough to need to be replaced. I've rotated the tires to the point that all 4 have been on the front on both sides and got nothing. Is there anything I've possibly over looked? Otherwise I'm going to replace the tires and try another set. I'm aligning it today at work for my lunch break. Oh, and my truck has 64,200 miles on it, and is unfortunately only a 2 wheel drive.

I appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

2. Dec 31, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    - Make sure the wheel spacers are hubcentric and not lugcentric. Hubcentric spacers have a lip that registers with the wheel's centerbore to keep the wheel centered.
    Hubcentric spacer: Lugcentric spacer: - Did you get an alignment after leveling the truck (basically lifting the front)? What are your caster numbers?

3. Jan 1, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    EvanHimself

EvanHimself [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Speed-Way Blue PreRunner
    K&N intake and filter, Alpine stereo with compact sub box, Borla catback exhaust, Toy Tec 1/4" front shock spacers, Weather tech black digital fit floor mats
    They are lug centric spacers. I was under the impression I could get them to work. Not only that but the company I bought them from said the were hubcentric, I didnt even think about the differnece when I got them in the mail.

After taking some measurements I've found Thee hub on the truck to be 106MM OD, and the spacer is 108MM ID. I know there are hud rings for aftermarket wheels, in fact I found a pair in the size I need, do you think I could get them and use those to center the spacer? Also, would I then run into wheel centering issues without having the lip on the spacer?

Products Discussed in

To Top