Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Rookie 33" and 35" Tire Question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
Rookie 33" and 35" Tire Question

I was talking to a guy at a tire shop a few days ago about lifting my Tacoma and getting larger wheels. He was saying that if I put 33's or 35's on my Tacoma it would accelerate very slow or "dog down" (as he put it) because my Tacoma is 6 Cylinder.

Is this correct, or is he just being an old pessimistic man? I donít put my foot on the floor all that often, but I do like the get up and go that the Tacoma has when I need it.

I have a '06 Doublecab
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, the old man is right. Unless you re-gear to a lower ratio to compensate for the larger diameter tires, your Tacoma will be more sluggish.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
biggers tires will be more work to turn no matter what because of the larger circumference, but the weight of the tire will be another factor, if you are planning on running a heavy duty mud tire in a 35 that weighs in at 80lbs that's a lot of extra rotational mass to turn. if you are planning on running more of a street tire, that is a lighter load range and much lighter overall then this tire will turn easier than a heavy off road tire. tons of ppl run 33's and have not regeared and do not need to. i woudn't let one guy change your mind just because he thinks your truck will be to slow. you will still have more get up and go then ppl running the 4cyl!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
35's for 60k miles here. Not slow at all. Not what it was stock but the truck still runs just fine
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
biggers tires will be more work to turn no matter what because of the larger circumference, but the weight of the tire will be another factor, if you are planning on running a heavy duty mud tire in a 35 that weighs in at 80lbs that's a lot of extra rotational mass to turn. if you are planning on running more of a street tire, that is a lighter load range and much lighter overall then this tire will turn easier than a heavy off road tire. tons of ppl run 33's and have not regeared and do not need to. i woudn't let one guy change your mind just because he thinks your truck will be to slow. you will still have more get up and go then ppl running the 4cyl!
x2 for this. You will notice a small difference on 33's. 35's I would definitely re gear for mileage sake. Then you need to think about what type of driving you will be doing. More street driving I would say just use a 33 or even a 32. Then the re gear isn't really necessary. If you plan on doing a lot of wheeling then a re gear may be in your future with 33's and def 35's. Tire weight will play a big factor in it as well. Hope all the replys help ya out.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nope
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Nope
You should. 4.88s. I think youd fall way in love.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed a huge difference going from 31s straight to 35s. Extremely sluggish especially in the high gears. I can't be in 6th gear on the highway doing 75 I have to be in 5th to maintain speed. Definitely regear if you are going for 35s.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
You should. 4.88s. I think youd fall way in love.
hmmm..i was thinking in the 4.30 range since its my DD and i do go on the highway for trips and stuff?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know of any 4.30 gears for our front diffs... I love my 4.88's for my 33's. Would be overkill for the manual tranny though. Basically every thread I have seen on this ends with, 4.88's for the auto tranny and 4.56's for the manual tranny. 4.10's and 3.90's aren't worth the cost of a regear and there are no other options for our front diffs. Check out eastcoastgearsupply.com, they can send you pre-assembled diffs that are pretty easy to swap yourself.

I am running 55lb 255/85/16 KM2's (33x10) and it was a little sluggish on stock gears. Would rarely run in Overdrive at 75 unless I was going downhill. With the 4.88's it takes a pretty steep hill to make it shift down and I lost less than 1 mpg with the higher rpm.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
hmmm..i was thinking in the 4.30 range since its my DD and i do go on the highway for trips and stuff?
4.56 puts you at stock-like gearing with 35s. I run 4.56 with 33s, slight overgear, and I wish Toyota had done it this way from factory. Truck has so much more balls now.

Advice for you: give up on gas mileage. Lift, armor, larger tires etc a slight undergear wont do a damn thing for MPG but leave the truck sluggish. Go to 4.88s and your MPG will still be bad but at least your truck will shit n get when you want it to.

The advantage offroad is also phenomenal.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
If you want close to stock gearing and maximal fuel efficiency you want 4.10 for 33" and 4.56 for 35" tires. There are no 4.27 for our truck.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Shoot. This whole re gearing thing that everyone is talking about means I'm going to be spending a lot more time on this website in the coming days trying to figure it all out. haha

So if I plan on just doing a lift (I'm still trying to figure out how high) and I'm mostly just going to be driving in the city 33's would be recommended? With the 33's I wont notice a whole lot of power loss I would assume?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 33.3" tires on my 4Banger with stock gears.
Did I loose a little get up & go? Yes.
Will I regear? No.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I'm running 33.3" tires on my 4Banger with stock gears.
Did I loose a little get up & go? Yes.
Will I regear? No.
Thanks Man!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed a difference with 33's
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
You need to consider more than just the circumference when calculating optimal gearing. While the gearing ratios for the 4.56 with 35's are close to stock, you really want to over gear to also make up for all the added un-sprung weight of the tires/wheels. 4.56 is perfect for the larger 33 and added weight. It would probably be slightly underpowered with 35's vs. stock gearing.