1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Load range E tires for a Tacoma overkill?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Marcoc, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    Marcoc

Marcoc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    How are they? Are they pretty aggressive looking for an AT? Pictures don't do justice. How do load E handle in that tire? Deep tread?

2. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    Marcoc

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    So looks like if I run E load tires and run " normal" pressures it will still ride a bit stiff but not bone jarring. What about tire wear at low pressures? Do heavier tires cause more wear on parts or is it negligible.

3. Jan 5, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    x2 I saw a noticeable gain in gas mileage by bumping up the pressure in my E's. on my KM2's it says max pressure is 85psi I am running about 50 psi right now and its a comfortable street ride. I may go higher soon.

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I would have to disagree with many of these points...A higher load rating requires a stiffer sidewall since they hold more pressure, and if you run them a too low a pressure, you get uneven wear.

On the other hand, if you want to run a certain size that is only available in a D or E tire, then you have to lose something to make it work, as in tire life or comfort.

Howard

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    I'm running E's (Toyo Open Country M/T 265/70/17) at 35 psi and get 16-17 mpg highway which is 85-90% of my driving. No uneven wear issues whatsoever after 20K miles on them. I bought them primarily for the triple-ply sidewalls and aggressive tread for going to remote places with ugly terrain.

6. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    i would say its a bad idea OP. it will run fine but because it load range E(10ply) its a much heavier tire than what is intended for your truck. If anything some toyota trucks can handle up to load range c(6ply). The reason i say its a bad idea is because through time,your gears will start to have a whining noise or your differential will start to chip from having to work harder to spin those heavier tires and that damage is unrepairable. Just my .02 cents,this is what i was told from my regional michelin/bfgoodrich rep

7. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I have bfg a/t k/o's load range e. With no weight in the bed i run them at 38 psi front and 36 in the rear (per the chalk test.) The tire shop where i got them said 36 psi was the best pressure for a light truck like ours. I've been most impressed with the ride quality. The stock oem pos tires had a tendency to follow the deep ruts in the roads around here. Since going to the e rated tires the ruts are no longer and issue. Also, while cornering the truck doesn't feel like it's leaning anymore... feels like i'm riding on rails and more steady. The ride is a little rough but not bad... feels more like a truck now. :)

8. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    I have E load DuraTracs. Won't do it the next time around. MPG is bad. C load will be enough for my needs. Got a good deal on these and DT didn't have C load at the time.

9. Jan 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not true

10. Jan 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    E load tires do not need to be pumped up to crazy pressure to wear even. They just have the ability to hold more pressure should they need to carry more weight. If you don't have the weight you don't need the pressure.

For approx every 10# of weight added to the wheel it equates to carrying a additional load of approx 100#. So 4 tires at 10# = 400# load. If you are driving around all "heavy" parts could wear quicker.

Ex.
    A) 265/70/17 Duratracs in C load on OE aluminum Sport Wheels (72#)
    B) 255/85/16 KM2's in E load on OE steel SR5 wheels (80#)

B) is 8# more per wheel/tire for additional load of 320#.

So for a little bigger tire you just have to ride around with a fat friend all the time :D

I have never ran a tire past 40psi in a Tacoma. I like a cushy ride :D

I'm running 40 up front and 38 in the rear. Same as my C load duratracs.

11. Jan 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    the e rating or size you want isn't gonna hurt your truck at all, it's not gonna cause rear end problems either. when you get the tires do the chalk test for tread contact, decide how much you like the ride and adjust accordingly to where you are good with things. just buy the ones that you want to look at everyday and be happy. everybody has an opinion.

12. Jan 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i’m running 265/75R16 load E terra grapplers and love them. was going to with load D but discount tire was all out and it was going to take a few weeks they said. i did se a small drop in MPG but not bad. i’m running like 34 PSI or something, i’m going to do a chalk test this week and see if i need to add air and how much air.

13. Jan 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    I'm not stating my opinion. This is information directly from several tire manufacturers load inflation charts. You add more air to a tire to compensate for more load. A 'C' load tire at 35 psi will carry the same load as an 'E' rated tire at '35' psi (a few small variances that could make them a few psi different at most).

That said, a smaller LT tire will need more air than a larger tire to carry the same load.

14. Jan 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    Marcoc

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    When I had my Ram 2500HD truck it had a dash button that was for light load setting so therefore the low tire pressure light would not light up unless pressures went below 50 psi. on normal load it was 80 psi. this was a heavy truck and even at 50 psi the tires saw normal wear and rode stiff but I didnt mind. So with that said i believe the pressures are directly associated with load lbs. running 38, 40, 45, or whatever on a load E tire should be OK as long as wear is being monitored and they are rotated. With that said I know its overkill but alot of Tire Companies only make a Load E in a 265/75/16 so may be my only choice. I am worried about wear on the truck suspension, brakes etc. and of course MPG though. Right now I average about 16 mpg mostly city. My current tires are 45lbs so jumping to lets say a 50lbs tire isnt crazy. I have been checking tire weight as part of my decision. :confused::confused::confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top