Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Load range E tires for a Tacoma overkill?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Marcoc has a spectacular aura aboutMarcoc has a spectacular aura about

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
Load range E tires for a Tacoma overkill?

I am looking to purchase tires in a few months and was looking at various tires. I like the Falken Wildpeaks AT and General Grabber AT but in a 265/75/16 they only come in a load E tire, overkill for my truck. I talked to a tire guy and he said just run normal pressures such as 35psi and they work fine plus I know many guys run this load range for overall strength of the tire. I dont care about ride I came from a Ram 2500HD before. Would these tire kill my mpgs? they falkens are 50lbs so 5 lbs more than the GoodYear silent Armors I have now. The Generals are 57lbs! kinda heavy. Also looking at the Federal Courigia MT which has grea reviews for an "all Season" MT with sipes for winter and weighs 48 lbs and they are priced right. another tire is the Cooper discoverer AT3 but they are not really aggressive looking but come in a load C. My truck sees moderate trail use, rocks, mud, snow, sleet, rain, and mostly street use. So pretty much are guys out there running E tires also just because they like the tire design? and will it kill mpgs?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Wheels With Moose.
NMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Walt
NMW 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be surprised how many member on here are running E's. I used to run a set of Cooper Discoverer's in E.

I had mine inflated to 65 PSI, as 90% of my truck's miles are on gravel. In my experience, running the tires at a high PSI will offset the increased weight in the MPG department, as a harder tire has much less rolling resistance.

You may find this thread helpful: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...o-you-run.html
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man,
I have the BFG AT E rated in a 265/75/16. I honestly didn't see a mpg change from the stock rugged trails. I have the fronts aired to 48psi and the rears are 40 psi. They ride and handle better than the rugged trails i think. Plus lots more traction off road. Depends on what size tire you get too. If you go really big, say a 35, then a re gear is going to be needed.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
For on road use or light off roading, a load E tire is way overkill for the Tacoma. A lot of people run them because it's the only load range offered for the tire they want in a particular size or they want the heavy duty tire to withstand sidewall cuts. If you do a lot of city driving, your MPGs will suffer. On the highway, you likely won't really notice much of a difference.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
DoubleTake is on a distinguished road
DoubleTake's Tacoma Gallery
I bought some used load range E Fierce Attitudes. It is hard to find used 265/75/16 local for some reason. these were the only ones I could find. I like the tires (wish they were load range C). The ride is horrible, I think I can feel every bump in the road. I would never get them on a Tacoma again. I do drive a lot of city and I have noticed my MPGs suffering. I also went from street slicks to these.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
With a full load the taco don't get much above 6k lbs, so if an C rated tire gives you 2400lbs a tire, and a E gives you 3500, the E is overly stiff. That can lead to a poor ride.

And I think it is overkill since you can lose things like traction and overheat tires if they are too low in pressure...

However, the decision is yours.

Also remember that your rims might not be rated to the pressure that E rated tires require to give full load.

Howard
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
A lot of people run them because it's the only load range offered for the tire they want in a particular size
Bingo
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #9

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
Yea my truck sees alot of city stop and go so mpgs would take a hit. I dont want P rated tires again the tread depth for off road driving, mud, etc is not enough. I would prefer C or D rated tires but not too many choices. I see many run E tires probably due to tire choice not load. Tire decisions are a PITA. want a fairly aggressive tire for looks but want it to perform well in New England weather and trails, so the perfect tire .
Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX AT2

I love these tires! Have 285s load range e on my powerstroke, first set I got 80,000 miles! A friend of mine had Michelin lts load range e on her 98 Toyota and got 105,000 miles on them.
Michelin makes same tire in load range c, that's what I'll be installing on taco when rugged fails wear out. I drove straight to discount from dealer when I bought the taco, hoping to trade rugged fails for Michelin AT2's, but discount would only give me $75 per tire, and the AT2's were around $200 per tire, so I decide to wait until I wear these down.
I've never had a problem with michelins.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
UPS man is bringing by some BFG AT 265/75/16's in a few hours...don't even make me think I will regret getting E (altho yea..im with OZ and others...there is no other option than E..i think the 245 is D LOL )
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
durability comes to mind when putting tires on a 4x4 truck, the e load will be a tougher tire than a c load, if you never leave pavement c is probably good, but i prefer a beefier tire for peace of mind. also if you notice the stock tires on these trucks are p rated, not lt, p to me is a car tire, not a truck tire. i run e rated on my reg cab with 36psi up front and 33 out back, truck rides like a truck, but not jarring or rough.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
I love these tires! Have 285s load range e on my powerstroke, first set I got 80,000 miles! A friend of mine had Michelin lts load range e on her 98 Toyota and got 105,000 miles on them.
Michelin makes same tire in load range c, that's what I'll be installing on taco when rugged fails wear out. I drove straight to discount from dealer when I bought the taco, hoping to trade rugged fails for Michelin AT2's, but discount would only give me $75 per tire, and the AT2's were around $200 per tire, so I decide to wait until I wear these down.

I'm running the same tires on my Tahoe in E. I'm average 18mpg mixed driving and my ride is smooth as silk! 65psi all the way around.

Best highway tire, period.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
My E load 255/85/16's MT's seem to drive better on road then my 265/70/17 AT's in C load.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin AT2s

search this "Love new Michelin LTX AT2 Tires" on tacoma world, sorry i dont know how to link this thread, but it has nothing but positives about the AT2s.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
I purchased a set of Grabber AT2's -265/75/16's and they are everything you see posted....

Only "played" in the snow for a little bit BUT ...hooked up and pulled me through all of it so far...I have not noticed any MPG changes BUT I only drive 20-50 miles a week...

THEY DO GET ATTENTION......E series have that wide-look......

Pulled up to the service door at the dealer this AM and had all kinds of questions ...and with them sitting around '09 TRD wheels the ?? just flowing...

The best advice offered when I purchased these was to keep them maintained;air them up and keep them rotated...works for me....
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #17

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I probably won't run a MT anymore, those days with the Jeep are gone but I want the truck to perform good in all terrains so AT it is. A load E tire may be the only way to go for the looks I want. Worried about wear and tear on truck, wonder if the heavier tires are going to effect anything
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Im rolling on 265/75/16 Wild Peaks Load Range E @35psi. I love them. Hopefully they last a little longer the D's would but Im not sure Im not a Doctor....
Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #19
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
LTX AT2's are a great all around tire. Best I've had on the truck all-around.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #20
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
firestone destination AT "load range C" LT265/75/16