1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Load range E tires for a Tacoma overkill?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Marcoc, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Marcoc

Marcoc [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    I am looking to purchase tires in a few months and was looking at various tires. I like the Falken Wildpeaks AT and General Grabber AT but in a 265/75/16 they only come in a load E tire, overkill for my truck. I talked to a tire guy and he said just run normal pressures such as 35psi and they work fine plus I know many guys run this load range for overall strength of the tire. I dont care about ride I came from a Ram 2500HD before. Would these tire kill my mpgs? they falkens are 50lbs so 5 lbs more than the GoodYear silent Armors I have now. The Generals are 57lbs! kinda heavy. Also looking at the Federal Courigia MT which has grea reviews for an "all Season" MT with sipes for winter and weighs 48 lbs and they are priced right. another tire is the Cooper discoverer AT3 but they are not really aggressive looking but come in a load C. My truck sees moderate trail use, rocks, mud, snow, sleet, rain, and mostly street use. So pretty much are guys out there running E tires also just because they like the tire design? and will it kill mpgs?

2. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    NMW 4x4

NMW 4x4 Wheels With Moose.

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Nine Mile, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    OME 885's w/5100's, Wheeler's HD Progressive, Firestone Riderite's.
    You'll be surprised how many member on here are running E's. I used to run a set of Cooper Discoverer's in E.

I had mine inflated to 65 PSI, as 90% of my truck's miles are on gravel. In my experience, running the tires at a high PSI will offset the increased weight in the MPG department, as a harder tire has much less rolling resistance.

You may find this thread helpful: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/241091-what-load-range-do-you-run.html

3. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    Hey man,
    I have the BFG AT E rated in a 265/75/16. I honestly didn't see a mpg change from the stock rugged trails. I have the fronts aired to 48psi and the rears are 40 psi. They ride and handle better than the rugged trails i think. Plus lots more traction off road. Depends on what size tire you get too. If you go really big, say a 35, then a re gear is going to be needed.

4. Jan 4, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    For on road use or light off roading, a load E tire is way overkill for the Tacoma. A lot of people run them because it's the only load range offered for the tire they want in a particular size or they want the heavy duty tire to withstand sidewall cuts. If you do a lot of city driving, your MPGs will suffer. On the highway, you likely won't really notice much of a difference.

5. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    DoubleTake

DoubleTake Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought some used load range E Fierce Attitudes. It is hard to find used 265/75/16 local for some reason. these were the only ones I could find. I like the tires (wish they were load range C). The ride is horrible, I think I can feel every bump in the road. I would never get them on a Tacoma again. I do drive a lot of city and I have noticed my MPGs suffering. I also went from street slicks to these.

6. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Overkill ? Yes

I have them though

7. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    With a full load the taco don't get much above 6k lbs, so if an C rated tire gives you 2400lbs a tire, and a E gives you 3500, the E is overly stiff. That can lead to a poor ride.

And I think it is overkill since you can lose things like traction and overheat tires if they are too low in pressure...

However, the decision is yours.

Also remember that your rims might not be rated to the pressure that E rated tires require to give full load.

Howard

8. Jan 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Bingo

9. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Marcoc

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Yea my truck sees alot of city stop and go so mpgs would take a hit. I dont want P rated tires again the tread depth for off road driving, mud, etc is not enough. I would prefer C or D rated tires but not too many choices. I see many run E tires probably due to tire choice not load. Tire decisions are a PITA. want a fairly aggressive tire for looks but want it to perform well in New England weather and trails, so the perfect tire :D.

10. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    I love these tires! Have 285s load range e on my powerstroke, first set I got 80,000 miles! A friend of mine had Michelin lts load range e on her 98 Toyota and got 105,000 miles on them.
    Michelin makes same tire in load range c, that's what I'll be installing on taco when rugged fails wear out. I drove straight to discount from dealer when I bought the taco, hoping to trade rugged fails for Michelin AT2's, but discount would only give me $75 per tire, and the AT2's were around $200 per tire, so I decide to wait until I wear these down.
    I've never had a problem with michelins.

11. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    neonlazer

neonlazer Mechanically Goofy

Member:
    Lafayette, LA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB 4x4 SR5
    UPS man is bringing by some BFG AT 265/75/16's in a few hours...don't even make me think I will regret getting E :p (altho yea..im with OZ and others...there is no other option than E..i think the 245 is D LOL )

12. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    durability comes to mind when putting tires on a 4x4 truck, the e load will be a tougher tire than a c load, if you never leave pavement c is probably good, but i prefer a beefier tire for peace of mind. also if you notice the stock tires on these trucks are p rated, not lt, p to me is a car tire, not a truck tire. i run e rated on my reg cab with 36psi up front and 33 out back, truck rides like a truck, but not jarring or rough.

13. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    My E load 255/85/16's MT's seem to drive better on road then my 265/70/17 AT's in C load.

14. Jan 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    search this "Love new Michelin LTX AT2 Tires" on tacoma world, sorry i dont know how to link this thread, but it has nothing but positives about the AT2s.

15. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    I purchased a set of Grabber AT2's -265/75/16's and they are everything you see posted...:).

Only "played" in the snow for a little bit BUT :D...hooked up and pulled me through all of it so far...I have not noticed any MPG changes BUT I only drive 20-50 miles a week...

THEY DO GET ATTENTION....:eek:..E series have that wide-look...:wink:...

Pulled up to the service door at the dealer this AM and had all kinds of questions :D...and with them sitting around '09 TRD wheels the ?? just flowing...:cool:

The best advice offered when I purchased these was to keep them maintained;air them up and keep them rotated...works for me....

16. Jan 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    Marcoc

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    Yea I probably won't run a MT anymore, those days with the Jeep are gone but I want the truck to perform good in all terrains so AT it is. A load E tire may be the only way to go for the looks I want. Worried about wear and tear on truck, wonder if the heavier tires are going to effect anything:confused:

17. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco IG: Swannybruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    Im rolling on 265/75/16 Wild Peaks Load Range E @35psi. I love them. Hopefully they last a little longer the D's would but Im not sure Im not a Doctor....

18. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    LTX AT2's are a great all around tire. Best I've had on the truck all-around.

19. Jan 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    firestone destination AT "load range C" LT265/75/16

20. Jan 5, 2013 at 5:18 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    The load range isn't necessarily what makes the tire stiff. The wildpeaks have a 3 ply sidewall. That has more to do with it. Most 3 ply's are E's, and some are D's. my E rated Duratracs (2 ply) rode softer than my D rated Wildpeaks. However, the Wildpeaks are all around much more comfortable, and very capable off road.

Biggest misconception I see here is folks thinking they should run more PSI in the E load tires. This is completely wrong! You only increase the pressure if the load on the vehicle requires it. On a Tacoma, you would never get within half of the capable load of the tires in E. you would run an E tire at the same PSI as a D or C if the weight and load on the truck is the same. Over inflating will cause more of a rough ride than anything else IMO. And the effect of over inflating will only last until the center tread wears down even with the outer tread.

Products Discussed in

To Top