Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Do wheels and tires make anyone else go crazy?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
Do wheels and tires make anyone else go crazy?

I'm hoping to get new tires within a couple months and I have been looking for weeks and weeks researching the right tire for me and every time a finally pick a tire it seems like I look at another tire and start all over again. On top of that, I have been wanting some new black wheels just as bad but have a pretty tight budget right now so I drool at wheels while I'm looking at tires. Does anyone else do this?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, I spent months debating and weighing the pros and cons of my setup. Just take your time and make sure you weigh your options to ensure you are happy with your purchase. Also, craigslist is your friend for finding good deals, I spent months looking for the Mickey Thompson wheels I wanted, and then the day before I was going to buy them, found a pair on CL for less than half of what I was about to spend.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Well that's good to hear. Yeah i check craigslist daily.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
You really need to be honest with yourself on what you need vs. what you want in a tire. If you are a serious off roader, you need to shop for a serious off road tire, if you are a "mall crawler" and only want to look like an off roader, there are some inexpensive knock off tires out there.
For me, 98% of my driving is highway, I live in So California so snow is not an issue. For this reason I picked up Michelin LTX A/T2, great highway tire, I have had them in light snow and slush and they work great. I have run some really fun fire roads and I could not be happier.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug55210 View Post
I'm hoping to get new tires within a couple months and I have been looking for weeks and weeks researching the right tire for me and every time a finally pick a tire it seems like I look at another tire and start all over again. On top of that, I have been wanting some new black wheels just as bad but have a pretty tight budget right now so I drool at wheels while I'm looking at tires. Does anyone else do this?
I do this with some accessories, but certainly not wheels and tires. These are probably the only two things I have been sure about from the beginning. 285 BFG ATs and the obvious choice, stock wheels. Not a fan of black wheels and also not a fan of spending hundreds of dollars for absolutely no reason. Wheels are wheels. Id rather spend the money improving performance, rather than looks. Besides, I think stock O/R or Sport wheels look the best. Toyota pays people good money to design wheels that look best on the truck.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
You really need to be honest with yourself on what you need vs. what you want in a tire. If you are a serious off roader, you need to shop for a serious off road tire, if you are a "mall crawler" and only want to look like an off roader, there are some inexpensive knock off tires out there.
For me, 98% of my driving is highway, I live in So California so snow is not an issue. For this reason I picked up Michelin LTX A/T2, great highway tire, I have had them in light snow and slush and they work great. I have run some really fun fire roads and I could not be happier.
Yeah I'm mainly a mall crawler but during hunting season I'm in a few nasty situations so I'm looking at some all terrains
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowinhz View Post
Check wheelers off road for some cheap black wheels.
Don't they only offer steel wheels? I'm looking for light weight wheels
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerTaco View Post
I do this with some accessories, but certainly not wheels and tires. These are probably the only two things I have been sure about from the beginning. 285 BFG ATs and the obvious choice, stock wheels. Not a fan of black wheels and also not a fan of spending hundreds of dollars for absolutely no reason. Wheels are wheels. Id rather spend the money improving performance, rather than looks. Besides, I think stock O/R or Sport wheels look the best. Toyota pays people good money to design wheels that look best on the truck.
I lobe the look of my stock sport wheels but I'm trying to get a black theme going with my mgm and just don't feel comfortable painting them.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
rtrudel35 is a name known to allrtrudel35 is a name known to allrtrudel35 is a name known to allrtrudel35 is a name known to allrtrudel35 is a name known to allrtrudel35 is a name known to all

Name: Becky
rtrudel35's Tacoma Gallery
These:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-17x8-5-a.html

or these:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...eels-16x8.html

Depends what size you want. I'm going with the SCS 5's in matte bronze once I get my tax returns. Not sure what tire I will run on it. I'm leaning toward General Grabber AT2s.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. I go kinda crazy when it comes time for new meats. I enjoy seeing what all is out there and shopping around.

As for wheels, I kinda settled since I got a good deal. I do kinda wish I had held out but it is what it is. These weren't my first choice. I liked my stock sport wheels and considered powder coating them black or gunmetal. But I wanted something to sit out a bit more and I'm not a fan of spacers. Plus between the cost of the two would have been more than what I spent.

As for tires it was tough for me. I love the look of a mud tire but don't do much off road so I knew that would be too noisy and rough riding just for the look. I tried to pick something a bit aggressive looking without the noise and rough ride. Kinda wish I would have went with the Nitto's there but got scared away from many telling me they didn't last.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrudel35 View Post
These:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-17x8-5-a.html

or these:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...eels-16x8.html

Depends what size you want. I'm going with the SCS 5's in matte bronze once I get my tax returns. Not sure what tire I will run on it. I'm leaning toward General Grabber AT2s.
I sure would like to have those but I'm going to have to wait. Sucks but i can't afford both tires and wheels right now
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Yes. I go kinda crazy when it comes time for new meats. I enjoy seeing what all is out there and shopping around.

As for wheels, I kinda settled since I got a good deal. I do kinda wish I had held out but it is what it is. These weren't my first choice. I liked my stock sport wheels and considered powder coating them black or gunmetal. But I wanted something to sit out a bit more and I'm not a fan of spacers. Plus between the cost of the two would have been more than what I spent.

As for tires it was tough for me. I love the look of a mud tire but don't do much off road so I knew that would be too noisy and rough riding just for the look. I tried to pick something a bit aggressive looking without the noise and rough ride. Kinda wish I would have went with the Nitto's there but got scared away from many telling me they didn't last.
What tire and wheel did you end up going with?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
It took me forever to finally land on a combo that I was happy with. That being said im likely gonna buy new tires this spring as I spend most of my time on the highway and mud tires really dont play nice there
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
RedTacomaTy is on a distinguished road
RedTacomaTy's Tacoma Gallery
Took a couple months for me to just pick out a wheel I liked. There are just soo many different wheels out there and the worst part is all of the wheels look good. Picking out tires was even harder because they were the ones that were for performance, not looks. So I really had to look into reviews and others' experiences with them. Which can make it difficult becuase everyone has a different opinion and only you know what you really need.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #16
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug55210 View Post
What tire and wheel did you end up going with?
Moto Metal 951 16x8 with Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/70/16

Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #17
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Moto Metal 951's also on my first gen w/ Cooper AT/3's. Got 4 wheels brand new on craigslist for $325. Not my first choice either but for price couldnt be happier.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Moto Metal 951 16x8 with Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/70/16

Looks good
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
greyeyezz is on a distinguished road
greyeyezz's Tacoma Gallery
I gave myself a headache researching tires, I finally went with Michelin LTX A/T2. More than I wanted to spend but had enough and was running out of time. So far so good.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
2011 TRD Sport 4x4

Right now I'm leaning towards the Mickey Thompson STZ. But I'm still not %100 sure.