1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Fit

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by hopper344, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    hopper344

hopper344 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Double Cab
    I just lifted my 2007 double cab with 885 up front with 1/2" top plate, belstien 5100s all around set at 0, and 2" add leaf in the rear. My tire shop is putting on my BFG KOs 285-70-17 with my new Eagle Alloy 17 4.65BS -11offset.

My shop just called and said the tires will not fit due to rubbing when it turns! My guy seems pretty concerned and doesn't want to procede mounting the tires without me seeing it first. What should I do? Do you think it will just take some trimming of the plastic wheel wells? Anyone experienced with this setup put my mind at ease just telling him to go ahead? I am at work 45minutes away to see it, I will have to wait till I leave at the end of the day. So they won't be able to finish my truck today at that time. Another day without my truck is killer ha. Help and thanks ahead of time.

2. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    I'm sure other more experienced members will chime in but from what I've read on here 285/70/17's won't fit without some trimming of plastics and a cab mount chop. without the trimming and chop I think they'll fit but you just won't be able to hit full lock when turning.

here's another similar thread about this same thing however he's using aftermarket wheels:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/256585-what-your-thoughts-fitting-285-70-17-a.html

and here's a tutorial on the cab mount chop:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/256842-cab-mount-chop-tut.html

3. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    TacoLife08

TacoLife08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD Rugged Trail SR5
    Camburg 4' Spindles, top plate spacers, 2" AAL, 285/75R/16 Terra Grapplers, Tinted Windows, Black Riveted Grille, Black Spyder Halo Healights/Tailights, FlowMaster 40 Exhaust, NFab Side Steps, Blacked out Skid Plate.
    Trimming of plastics yes .. however you should not require a cab mount chop for 33's, I didn't.

4. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    Hey Hopper, am running 285's with 18" wheels and an -12 offset, as well as toytechs ultimate lift kit. required shedding the oem mudflaps(though now running custom flaps that work.),minor trimming of the plastic wheelwells and a small portion of the oem fender-area as well (completely doable and without notice). no cabmount chop necessary, though the need for such can be determined by however often you off-road, if at all. hope this helps :D

5. Jan 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    they will fit. i would tell them to go ahead and put them on and take a good sharp knife when you go to the tire shop

6. Jan 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    hopper344

hopper344 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Double Cab
    Thank you will do with the go ahead. I tried searching, but anyone know of a thread with pictures of trimming? I have found many describing without pictures or really old where pictures don't work.

Products Discussed in

To Top