Notices

Noob needs tire help

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
dreeves1110 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
dreeves1110's Tacoma Gallery
Noob needs tire help

I always hated the kid in class that would raise his hand and go "I dont get it" Well not being exactly auto savy i am still on a learning Curve, i have researched and viewed pictures and have tried to find people in the same situation I am but still have too many questions, i thought i would throw this out there and ask for help. A few months ago i picked up my first truck, a taco, a 2012 doublecab TRD sport to be exact, love it!! i would like to add some tires that look a little more aggresive. Something that can handle themselves off road but are mainly going to be driven on a freeway for a 60 mile round trip commute 3-4 times a week. My current tire specs are stock 265/65/17. I would love to do a bit of a lift but want to keep it on the economical side. I was thinking the 5100 billys with an AAL in the back. I know this wont give me a true 3" so i dont believe 285/70/17s would work for me because i am scared of cutting anything off a new vehicle. I was wondering in everybodies honest opinion what kind of tires would you go with if you want to keep decent gas milage but still want to be able to do a little off roading now and then. I am looking for size and brand suggestions. I thank you for the help in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Noob needs tire help-321044_10101230459596060_571443591_n.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
If you stick with 17s, I'd go 265/70r17. There are a lot of good tires out there, it sounds like you would benefit from all-terrains. This size will look aggressive on both a stock truck and one with mild lift. 285s may push you into rubbing issues.

My quick off the top of the head suggestions:
Cooper AT3s <---what I chose
BFGoodrich A/T KOs
Bridgestone Dueler REVO IIs
Yokohama Geolander AT/S
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs <---more aggressive A/T
General Grabber AT2
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
With your commuting, I would stick with the same size tire (or the size adrstout recommended). You will lose gas mileage going with a much larger tire. You can go with an All-Terrain tire to have a little more aggressive tire.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Day Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDay Cowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Veteran
Name: Day Cowboy
Day Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
A good looking aggressive tire would be General Grabber AT2
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Duratrac 265/75/16 (265/70/17) would be the same size in diameter, just more wheel, less rubber than what I have)
5100 set at 1.75 in the front.
Aftermaket wheels will also give you the aggressive off-road look you seek.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
255/75/17 Hankook ATm
X2
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
haha...

OZ, what do you think?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
haha...

OZ, what do you think?
I think 255/75/17 Hankook ATm's would be a good choice
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Yokohama Geolander ATS. Fairly aggressive looking tire, rides just as good and quiet as the factory Dunlops did. I've heard they weren't good in snow though, which isn't much of an issue for me.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
YotaComa22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
YotaComa22's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a leveling kit on my truck and was told I could fit 265/70R17 on it instead of factory 265/65R17. I had rubbing issues with the control arm when I turn hard. Should I go with a 4.5" backspace to make the bigger tires work?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
focotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedfocotacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

focotacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin AT2 super good traction super good ride.....dont look all that aggressive but are good in snow and off road!