LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Options for Multiple Wheel Sets (I.e., Winter/Summer, Street/Off-Road, etc.)

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #41
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt719 View Post
Do factory alloy tpms generally fit aftermarket rims?
I don't know the answer for sure since I've never tried putting OEM sensors in aftermarket wheels, but I'm pretty sure the sensors will work. After all, it's highly likely that Toyota doesn't actually manufacturer the wheels anyway and so there really isn't much that is special about them.

I don't think you can use the sensors from steel wheels on aluminum wheels, due to a difference in the angle that the valve stem mounts to the sensor, but I think that a sensor on an aluminum wheel should fit any other aluminum wheel.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #42
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt719 View Post
Do factory alloy tpms generally fit aftermarket rims?
Yes, generally. Keep in mind there's always a small chance of failure when re-using a sensor. This is true even if you are moving a sensor from one set of factory wheels to another. To improve your chances, the mechanic should always use a sensor service kit and torque the sensor to spec with a micro torque wrench.

One of the OEM sensors started leaking when transferred to my Konig Countersteers. To avoid problems later, I bought four new sensors. Others here reported no problems transferring the OEM sensors to the Konigs.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #43
jokerj80 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
jokerj80's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question....i bought some trail teams trd wheels for my sr5 and im swapping tires. Does the original tpms go into the trd wheels? The dealership says yes.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #44
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^The dealership is correct, with the same caveats as I mentioned above.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #45
jokerj80 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
jokerj80's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. I feel better now. Lol
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #46
Cobalt719 will become famous soon enoughCobalt719 will become famous soon enough

Cobalt719's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to you both
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #47
m32 is on a distinguished road

Name: Edwin
m32's Tacoma Gallery
Guys,

I just wanted to chime in here. I bought a set of the BFD FN wheels and am planning on mounting the tires soon. I originally sourced a set of '13 steel take-offs with TPMS from a local craigslist and was planning on taking those off, putting them into my new wheels and having them reprogrammed at Discount Tire. My plan was to have the ability to switch back and forth from BFDs to stock whenever I took the truck back to Toyota. However, I found out two things... 1) the TPMS sensors on the steel wheels are at a 40 degree angle so the only way to mount it is "upside down" (ie. 180 degree turn) which is fine until a shop dismounts the tire and would then break off the sensor. 2. Once the new sensors are reprogrammed, the original sensors in the OEM wheels are rendered useless and you will STILL have the TPMS light come on after you swap back to stock.

I spoke with Dustin @ FN wheels from whom I bought the BFDs from about my dilemna and he told me to check out Schrader international who makes programmable TPMS sensors. I gave my local schrader office a call and he will try to "replicate" my stock sensors and will see if that works. I will prob have all this done next week so I will report back

Edwin
Old 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #48
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m32 View Post
My plan was to have the ability to switch back and forth from BFDs to stock whenever I took the truck back to Toyota.
Why?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #49

m32's Tacoma Gallery
I try not to give the dealer a chance to mess up my mods. Been there done that too many times

Edwin
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #50
paxman is on a distinguished road

paxman's Tacoma Gallery
New to this forum. A lot of good info. thanks for sharing.
I have a 2008 tacoma access cab, 5 Lug

Need some clarification HOT Taco:

If you get new wheels, you need to get new TPMS sensors. Tire Rack sells the sensors and will install them if purchased.

My question is if I do go through Tire Rack, I will need to provide them with the factory code so that they can program the new sensor?

Next question: The reset button under my steering column is for the TPMS. Will that reset the new TPMS sensors when i install them on my truck?

Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge with us

paxman
Old 03-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #51
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
My question is if I do go through Tire Rack, I will need to provide them with the factory code so that they can program the new sensor?
That is what I was told in my email correspondence with the Tire Rack. I have not purchased wheels with them recently, so I haven't gone through the process yet myself. This obviously means that you need to know the TPMS sensor IDs which means a trip to the dealer or a local tire shop that has a tool to read the codes (provided that you don't own such a tool.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
Next question: The reset button under my steering column is for the TPMS. Will that reset the new TPMS sensors when i install them on my truck?
Hmmm... never heard of such a button. My truck is much older and has no such button. Can anyone else with a newer truck chime in?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #52

m32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Taco View Post
That is what I was told in my email correspondence with the Tire Rack. I have not purchased wheels with them recently, so I haven't gone through the process yet myself. This obviously means that you need to know the TPMS sensor IDs which means a trip to the dealer or a local tire shop that has a tool to read the codes (provided that you don't own such a tool.)

Hmmm... never heard of such a button. My truck is much older and has no such button. Can anyone else with a newer truck chime in?
On my 13, there is a reset button but I haven't read up on how it works

Edwin
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #53
Is the reset button like the one in this article?

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=85735

If so, it doesn't help us in our quest to get two sets of wheels working with our vehicles TPMS...

Quote:
When you press the button, the system is looking for the sensor IDs that are already stored in the memory.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #54
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m32 View Post
On my 13, there is a reset button but I haven't read up on how it works

Edwin
I think that button is used when you want to run a different pressure than what it is originaly set for. Say the tires are originaly set for 35 PSI and you want to run 25 PSI. After adjusting the tires to the new pressure, you press the reset to store the new pressure so the system isn't warning of low pressure, it just resets itself to the new pressure.

Another solution to the TPMS light problems with a different set of tires and wheels, is to carry the TPMS equiped tires in the bed of the truck when the other wheels are on. You will always then have 5 spares if needed.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #55
paxman is on a distinguished road

paxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Taco View Post
Is the reset button like the one in this article?

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issu...ontentid=85735

If so, it doesn't help us in our quest to get two sets of wheels working with our vehicles TPMS...
This is exactly what the button looks like and is located. Thanks taco for the clarification. So I still would need to get the code from the dealer for the new tpms.

Thanks for the info
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #56
choyt is on a distinguished road
Name: wayne
choyt's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe someone can help me out, first off I have a 2012 base 4x4 with steel wheels and just changed them to 2013 TRD OR wheels and my tpms light DIDN'T come on , is this ok?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by choyt View Post
Maybe someone can help me out, first off I have a 2012 base 4x4 with steel wheels and just changed them to 2013 TRD OR wheels and my tpms light DIDN'T come on , is this ok?
Do you still have the old wheels? Are they sitting near where your truck is parked? If so, your ECU *may* be reading the signal off the old wheels. However, if you got rid of your old wheels and your TPMS light isn't coming on, I'm guessing it will eventually. If it never does come on, then I'm stumped, too!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #58
choyt is on a distinguished road
Name: wayne
choyt's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ I sure hope it doesn't come on
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #59
60% of the time it works every time
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hollywood22's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write up.....thanks for taking the time.....cheers.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #60
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Yes, generally. Keep in mind there's always a small chance of failure when re-using a sensor. This is true even if you are moving a sensor from one set of factory wheels to another. To improve your chances, the mechanic should always use a sensor service kit and torque the sensor to spec with a micro torque wrench.

One of the OEM sensors started leaking when transferred to my Konig Countersteers. To avoid problems later, I bought four new sensors. Others here reported no problems transferring the OEM sensors to the Konigs.
I ordered a set of these same wheels (love the style!) but they are still sitting in my garage next to a stack of for new DuraTrac tires because this TPMS nightmare. I sure wish Toyota had designed thier TPMS like Volkswagen (I have two sets of wheels/tires and it recognizes either set without a trip to the dealer).

Which TPMS wheel sensorsdid you purchase? I have to do this soon, hate seeing new wheels and tires just sitting there and my ugly stockers for the word to see on my lifted truck...