Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Options for Multiple Wheel Sets (I.e., Winter/Summer, Street/Off-Road, etc.)

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #61
willee51 is on a distinguished road

Navy: 2nd Class PO
willee51's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
I ordered a set of these same wheels (love the style!) but they are still sitting in my garage next to a stack of for new DuraTrac tires because this TPMS nightmare. I sure wish Toyota had designed thier TPMS like Volkswagen (I have two sets of wheels/tires and it recognizes either set without a trip to the dealer).

Which TPMS wheel sensorsdid you purchase? I have to do this soon, hate seeing new wheels and tires just sitting there and my ugly stockers for the word to see on my lifted truck...
We are both in the same boat! I have stel wheels and want to go to ALLOY!

The cheapest thing for both of us is to go with the PVC-bomb!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #64
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Which TPMS wheel sensorsdid you purchase? I have to do this soon, hate seeing new wheels and tires just sitting there and my ugly stockers for the word to see on my lifted truck...
My invoice says "21620 - Multi Fit Tpms Sensor"

Googling the P/N found this page which shows it to be a Schrader EZ Sensor:
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...systems?Page=6
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #65
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice guys. I want to get the Schrarer TPMS.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #66
2010 double cab TRD Sport
El Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Tano is one of the sharper tools in the shed

El Tano's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question. I have a set of original wheels and tires off my 2010 17" trd sport for sale. A member that has stellies wants to buy my wheels and tires and use his tpms. Dealership told him that the tpms that come in the steel wheels won't fit on the TRD 17" wheels.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #68
hoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Life Support, VFA
Name: Shay
hoarder23's Tacoma Gallery
After dealing with getting a set of EZ Sensors for my new wheels I would say before you get these do some research on which shops locally can program them. I got the wheels mounted and balanced at Firestone where I have a lifetime alignment, but they were unable to program the sensors. After going to the dealership and a few other local places and making some calls I was unable to find a shop with the equipment to clone the stock set. I went on Bartec's website and emailed them, within a day I got a call from Michael, their product manager. After explaining what I was trying to do he told me to go to WhyTPMS to find a local dealer and call him back if I had any more issues. The website led me to a local shop that was able to clone the sensors with no issues.

Bottom Line: If you are going to clone your TPMS with a programmable set, find a local shop that is capable of programming them prior to buying and if possible get the serial numbers of your current sensors prior to purchase and have the sensors programmed by the seller.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #69
CJBro is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
CJBro's Tacoma Gallery
A few things I'd like to add as an employee of a tire shop in montana. I'd pretty sure it's illegal to tamper with the TPMS system in any way, including removing the TPMS light bulb on the dash, and it just recently became illegal for tire shops (at least here) to mount up a set of tires to wheels without TPMS sensors AND put them on a vehicle that has a TPMS system.

That being said, depending on the OEM wheels and the second set of wheels, we can often swap the TPMS sensors over, and we can certainly reprogram your vehicle's ECU to read new sensors, provided they are compatible. We provide the latter service for free and only takes a couple of minutes.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #70
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Do the sensors have fit problems with some wheels or valve stems? When I swapped my rims, the guy told me there was a possibility that the sensors might not fit the new wheels. I have the original stems in the new wheels right now.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #71
Butl3rM0nk3y is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
Butl3rM0nk3y's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered some new wheels from Discount Tire and while speaking to the service writer, he told me they have a new tool for doing the programmable TPMS sensors in which they dont need to read the codes from the inside of the old rim first, he can read them with the tool. That allows them to reprogram the EZ-Sensors on the fly during the install of my new wheels with my summer tires on them and not have to disrupt the stock set that already has the snow tires.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #72
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It's been about 5 months since I wrote the original post regarding TPMS sensors and last week I finally got some new summer wheels that needed tires. I ordered tires from Discount Tire Direct, which is about an hour from my house, specifically because I was told they can "clone" sensors. (I was told this by one of their online reps.) Unfortunately, that isn't the case... at least not for the store I visited in Waukesha, WI.

To make a long store short, neither the manager nor the two technicians that installed my tires knew what cloning is. Although everyone was very nice, they seemed to treat me like I was just another customer that read something on the Internet and didn't know what I was talking about.

Instead of the Schrader EZ-Sensors I asked for, they installed VDO Redi-Sensors. The VDO sensors are not programmable. I didn't realize what they had done until after they had already mounted the tires and I asked the technician to show me the tool he used to clone the sensors (at which point he was clearly confused about what I was asking because he didn't understand.) Feeling like I wasn't getting through to them, I pretty much had no choice but to go home with sensors I didn't want and a sensor issue I was trying hard to avoid.

I called Discount Tire's help line a few minutes ago and they're going to have a regional manager call me to discuss the issue. Being late in the day on Saturday, it probably won't be until Monday that I hear from them.

Sensor issue aside, the rest of my experience at the Discount Tire location I went to was good. The shop was very clean, service was fast and friendly, and the prices seem competitive. I'm just miffed that now I still need to figure-out a solution for keeping my TPMS light off when I swap wheels
Old 05-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #74
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
diable the whole system. easy and works great. no light, no sensors, no hassle.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #75
YotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotatechMatt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
YotatechMatt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I ordered a set of these same wheels (love the style!) but they are still sitting in my garage next to a stack of for new DuraTrac tires because this TPMS nightmare. I sure wish Toyota had designed thier TPMS like Volkswagen (I have two sets of wheels/tires and it recognizes either set without a trip to the dealer).

Toyota/Lexus does have a switch on some higher end models that allows you to change between 2 sets of registered wheel/sensor assemblies.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #76
Kilted Taco is on a distinguished road

Kilted Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotatechMatt View Post
Toyota/Lexus does have a switch on some higher end models that allows you to change between 2 sets of registered wheel/sensor assemblies.
Do you know which models?
If we could figure out the part # for the upgraded modules we could all order them and switch them out and not have nearly as big an issue.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #77
merkman has a spectacular aura aboutmerkman has a spectacular aura about
merkman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
diable the whole system. easy and works great. no light, no sensors, no hassle.
Hey Mike,

How do you disable it? That would make the most sense to me...thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #78
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Taco View Post
Do you know which models?
If we could figure out the part # for the upgraded modules we could all order them and switch them out and not have nearly as big an issue.
I'm sure it wouldn't be that simple. The ECU (computer) in the Tacoma isn't likely equipped with whatever port or capability that the other models have.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #79
An update on my Discount Tire experience...

I was finally able to get back to Discount Tire today to have them swap-out the VDO Redi-Sensors that they incorrectly installed with Schrader EZ-Sensors. Everything went smoothly as far as I can tell and as it turns out, the Schrader sensors are considerably less expensive than the VDO sensors (probably because they don't have metal valve stems). Because of that, I got money back for the sensors and Discount Tire compensated me for my gas because I live pretty far away.

The manager was concerned that my TPMS light might go on during my trip home since I now have two sets of tires with the same sensor IDs, but the light didn't come on.

Despite the original issue, Discount Tire's customer service is top-notch and at least I've finally confirmed that they can clone sensors!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #80
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, from what I understand, the truck ECU stores 5 codes or numbers only for one set of tires....

The truck only checks every 20 or so min, so it does not help you at all to have them, if you hit a nail the tire will be flat before the ECU tells you something.....

That good are they, Not much....

SO if you run into problems, batteries or anything, maybe change to a different set of tires you are forced to reprogram them or spend money....

So my thinking is, can you program the truck for One TPS only?

Doing so would let you use a smaller pipe for one, also if you need to replace them due to age, you could buy one only and program it.. Less cost, less time and less to worry about. Only one TPS not 5.
When they die (batteries) only forced to get one, less time and money across the board.

Any thought on programing the truck to one and using one inside a pipe?

Products Discussed in this Thread