Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Options for Multiple Wheel Sets (I.e., Winter/Summer, Street/Off-Road, etc.)

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #81
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Or does anyone make a program, chip, or programer that you can turn the light off, fool the system or just cut it out as an option.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #82
Kilted Taco is on a distinguished road

Kilted Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gadget View Post
Or does anyone make a program, chip, or programer that you can turn the light off, fool the system or just cut it out as an option.
Not certain if it is what you want but here are a few links to TPMS tools.

http://ateqtpm.com/products#comparison

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATEQ-TPMS-VT...-/261225975195

http://www.tooltopia.com/ATEQ-vt15.a...ricegrabber_r1

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet-.../dp/B008SCWXN4

Just a little something for every wallet size!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #83
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
I get what those do, but it does not look like you can turn the function off on the truck so the light never comes on and system does not work.
Those are to reset the codes.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #84
hoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoarder23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Life Support, VFA
Name: Shay
hoarder23's Tacoma Gallery
The problem with disabling it is that in most states your car wouldn't be legal and you would set yourself up for liability issues, especially if you were to sell the vehicle in that condition.

And I'm not sure what kind of nails you have on the road in NC but I got one in my tire the other day and didn't notice it until the next morning when my tire was low in my driveway. Plus the systems aren't designed with people that pay attention to their cars in mind, they are for people that barely know how to put gas in htem.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #85
Hot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hot Taco's Tacoma Gallery
So I've been trying to figure-out why shops like Discount Tire are keeping it a secret that they can clone sensors. From the customer's perspective (at least those of us that drive Toyotas), it's the best solution for the TPMS problem.

Then in dawned on me. If the tire shop clones the sensors, then that's two times a year less that they'll be able to get the customer into the shop to poentially spend more money. Even though Discount Tire will do the sensor/ECU updates for free, when you come in to the shop, that's their chance to sell you something. If you don't come in, they can't sell. Therefore, they probably aren't going to push their clone-able sensors!

This is all just a theory, but I don't see why else they wouldn't be promoting the clone-able sensors over the non-cloneable.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #86
doc1187 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
doc1187's Tacoma Gallery
Just a thought, if you take one "summer wheel" with a tpms in it. Swap it with the spare. then use your four "winter tires" without a tpms. Would that work???
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #87
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Nope. The truck would detect this as 3 out of 4 sensors have malfunctioned.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #88
doc1187 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
doc1187's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks For the Help
Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #89
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question regarding the factory sensors in the 16" 4x4 steel wheels,

Figured it's just best to ask it here then start a thread,

Can anyone confirm that the steel wheel sensors will work in a 16" steel wheel from ProComp,

I am looking at the series 52, because they are cheaper for a set of 4 versus finding and buying a set of Gen 1 16" spare wheels.

Thanks gang!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #90
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
And can anyone confirm they only read every 20 minutes or so, does anything trip the system into reading them faster, say a large decrease in pressure or something like that.

If this is the case I am better off just disabling it and going without,
Old 09-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #91
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^What I wrote earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ruli...le.6.html#IV_1
Hyundai's comments during the rulemaking process suggests TPMS sensor sampling takes 3 minutes, and multiple samples are needed to overcome data errors, so a 20 minute grace period is necessary.
Looks like the current polling rate is around 3 minutes, but the TPMS ECU needs multiple samples to get a reliable reading. I imagine more frequent sampling can also shorten the sensor's battery life.

The TPMS system was not intended to alert the driver of punctures; it was intended solely to make up for lax maintenance.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #92
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The TPMS system was not intended to alert the driver of punctures; it was intended solely to make up for lax maintenance.
So so true,

So I AM better off just wiring around it and putting good ole'fashioned rubber valve stems in my Tunda 16" TRD wheels!

Thanks for the info,

"Public Citizen this and that, lol... "

Old 09-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #93
Im not important
dafloydboy will become famous soon enough

Name: M.L. Evans
dafloydboy's Tacoma Gallery
These sensors don't help me a bit because this is just more of the same old regulation that just cost us more money for our trucks, this TPMS thing came about because back in the 90's some people were too lazy to check there tire pressure On there explorers and coupled with some less than quality tires you get rollovers and deaths. Now we are stuck with these things that nobody wants. All you have to do is walk around your car every few times you drive and check your tire pressure once a month, in fact mine have never changed in the year I've had it. Well that's my rant for the day.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #94
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
So so true,

So I AM better off just wiring around it and putting good ole'fashioned rubber valve stems in my Tunda 16" TRD wheels!
Yes, there's a mod to disable power to the idiot light. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-disabled.html

I consider TPMS a convenience feature, so I paid for sensors when I got new wheels. Bi-weekly manual tire pressure checks sound trivial until the weather turns bad or you are running late.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #95
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, there's a mod to disable power to the idiot light. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-disabled.html

I consider TPMS a convenience feature, so I paid for sensors when I got new wheels. Bi-weekly manual tire pressure checks sound trivial until the weather turns bad or you are running late.
Thanks,

I am actually thinking about doing that this Monday on my day off,
Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #96
Greenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to beholdGreenpants is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
Greenpants's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 09-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #97
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafloydboy View Post
These sensors don't help me a bit because this is just more of the same old regulation that just cost us more money for our trucks, this TPMS thing came about because back in the 90's some people were too lazy to check there tire pressure On there explorers and coupled with some less than quality tires you get rollovers and deaths. Now we are stuck with these things that nobody wants. All you have to do is walk around your car every few times you drive and check your tire pressure once a month, in fact mine have never changed in the year I've had it. Well that's my rant for the day.
The 1999 Grand Am I had was my first car to have these sensors. I believe the tires had to be rotating though for the sensors to get a reading. 1999 was the only year the Grand Am had this system because it didn't work well. It was always throwing false alarms, especially if you were driving on bad roads.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #98
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #99
fj40taz is on a distinguished road

Name: Carl
fj40taz's Tacoma Gallery
i was speaking with a buddy from who has an xterra and inquired as to weather or not he had the tps snsors on his rig cause i know he switches tires and rims..

he said he does but does not worry about it, he just deals with the light on the dash..

but anyway he said s few of the guys he knows found another way around it.. he said to take one of the sensors and put it in a piece of pipe and seal it then pressurize it and put it in the truck somewhere.

i figure to get a piece of black threaded pipe and put a shrader valve on one side so u can pump it up to 35psi and mount it to the frame rail or inside of the spare tire...
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #100
B.S. Goodwrench

KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40taz View Post
i was speaking with a buddy from who has an xterra and inquired as to weather or not he had the tps snsors on his rig cause i know he switches tires and rims..

he said he does but does not worry about it, he just deals with the light on the dash..

but anyway he said s few of the guys he knows found another way around it.. he said to take one of the sensors and put it in a piece of pipe and seal it then pressurize it and put it in the truck somewhere.

i figure to get a piece of black threaded pipe and put a shrader valve on one side so u can pump it up to 35psi and mount it to the frame rail or inside of the spare tire...
If I am not mistaken all the sensors the system is programmed to "see" have to be in the "Pipe Bomb" lol... Someone else on here did that, PVC pipe with a valve on the end,

worked for him.

Products Discussed in this Thread