Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Question regarding 16" vs 16.5" rims

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Question regarding 16" vs 16.5" rims

Apologies in advance for the silly question..

I'm tire shopping right now and trying to find a set of 33x10.5x16 tires that'll fit on my stock rims, so I can A/B the prices vs going to 15" rims.

I'm looking at these BFGs, that are available in 33x10.5x15:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...sw=false&cs=33

But strangely not in a 16. The more I look around, a lot of places I'm finding don't have 33x10.5x16 of any tire at all - but do have them for 16.5. Maybe it's just me, but I've never owned a 16.5" rim, and haven't heard of anyone else either. Does a 16.5 tire fit on a 16 or something, or am I just out of the loop?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
bmpskir will become famous soon enoughbmpskir will become famous soon enough

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
16.5 was used mostly on military trucks like 80s chevys... I am sure others came with them as well but the issue I see is there are very limited choices for tires for 16.5s... not that common anymore... and unless you want 37s move on... and no - 16.5 tires won't fit 16 rims...
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
A 16.5" tire will only fit a 16.5" wheel, vice versa with 16". You need to start looking into metric sizes, you won't find what you're looking for with Standard Inch sizes.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
^^ yup - there will be a ton of choices...
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Awesome, thanks guys! Right after posting I did find a bunch of metric sized tires in my price range. Anyone know off hand if these here:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/pts/3525576624.html

Would fit on my '01 taco? Pretty solid price and Google seems to think that they will, it's just a long as hell ride from my place to where he is to find out either way. (I'm not sure what the backspacing is, but hopefully the seller does).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpskir View Post
16.5 was used mostly on military trucks like 80s chevys... I am sure others came with them as well but the issue I see is there are very limited choices for tires for 16.5s... not that common anymore...
You learn something new every day.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
285/75R16 is the size that'll get you closest to what you're looking for.

EDIT: I see you beat me to it.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
we just pulled a set of 16.5 rims off of our 2500 '81 GMC and bought some 16" rims. The 16.5 tires are harder to find and more expensive.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #8

bmpskir's Tacoma Gallery
i am only guessing but the issue that may arise with those rims is the center bore... if I remember correctly toyotas have a larger center bore than chebbies... but being aftermarket they may... can you pull up the specs online from their website or something?