Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Snow Chains on Larger Tire Clearance

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Snow Chains on Larger Tire Clearance

Hey all- need some help.
Ill be going to Tahoe a few times this winter, but I'll need some chains. Question is, will I have a problem? I've crammed some BFG All Terrain TA K/O's on my 16 inch rims. Tire size is 265/75/16, but I'm on a stock suspension. And if it is relevant I'm also running 1.5 wheel spacers.

I will put chains on the front tires (I'm 4wd), and now I'm trying to decide on chains.
EDIT: Thanks to Monkey Wrench I now know to put the chains on the back of our vehicles, says so in the manual (pg 383).

I like these, but should I go with a Type "S" pair, which is to my understanding made for shorter wheel well clearance vehicles? Or should I go for cables (I'd rather have chains but if it is what will work...)

I just don't want to rip apart the wheel well with the snow chains.
Any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
monkey wrench is on a distinguished road

Name: sean
monkey wrench's Tacoma Gallery
I think your owners manual says not to put chains on front tires. something about sensors and or brake lines being damaged.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Really? Uh oh.. before I had my new tires on I threw some cables on up there.... hmmm I'll go grab my manual.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
You'll definitely have clearance issues with chains on the front with stock suspension, especially with oversize tires. If it actually gets bad enough that you need chains, even with 4WD, put them on the back and you'll probably be fine.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Ya I just read the manual and it says (pg 383) "Install the chains on the rear tires are tightly as possible. Do not use tire chains on he front tires."

So knowing this will I still have clearance issues if I put chains on the rear tires?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
1sttaco11 is on a distinguished road

Marines: USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center
1sttaco11's Tacoma Gallery
i live about 45 minutes from tahoe in the sierras, we have a ton of snow, with that being said, i carry chains in my truck just to be legal in the wonderful state of california. i've put them on twice this winter and both times they were put on someone else's truck to get them out of a ditch/snowbank. Also, i would go with chains, much more reliable as far as durability. Get the self tightening ones, i picked up a pair at walmart in carson city for my tires (265/70/17) cost about $65.00 for the pair. self tightening chains are awesome, they stay tight to the tire, they don't flail out and smack your fender wells or even fall off was i have seen happen on most standard non tightening chains or cables.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
to be honest, there are very few times where you will need 4WD AND chains to get to Tahoe.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #10

alrighty sounds good.. ill check walmart tonight to see if they have any for my tire size. Thanks guys!
Ya and I know I most likely won't need them, but it's nice to have them and be legal in Cali
Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departme.../controlmp.htm

check out the note for R1 & R2
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
well damn.. guess im set unless the road is an R3! Thanks MJ!
My experience living next to donner summit is when the road becomes r3 no one goes on it except snow plows. I have driven on a stretch of road that was "r3" and it is no joke defiantly hard to get through with chains on all fours on a truck.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 80 close on me more times than I care to admit. Funny thing is they always close it at Truckee...and the Donor onramp just a few miles up the road never has any DOT personnel to be found.

As for chains, my recommendation:
http://tirechaindealer.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=125

Video...yes, they are this easy to put on and they work great. Always has chain contact on the ground due to diamond shape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YokkjfisLd0
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, not all Walmart in CA carry chains. I usually find them in locations closer to the mountains.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #16

Well I stopped at my local Walmart super center... Nearly got lost in it (I think that's the third time I've ever been in a Walmart...) found the chains and got some! Sometime tomorrow ill out them on to make sure they work thanks for all your help everyone! Ill try and post some pics and info on exactly what chains i got tomorrow
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #17
spitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austin
spitfire501's Tacoma Gallery
man just be careful i went up there last weekend and needed chains to get out of my buddies cabin cuz we got snowed in. the chains on my oversize tires, even with tension cables on the chains themselves, torn the inside of my fender flares on the rear to shit. i think if i had mudflaps, which i see you have, i would have been fine.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire501 View Post
man just be careful i went up there last weekend and needed chains to get out of my buddies cabin cuz we got snowed in. the chains on my oversize tires, even with tension cables on the chains themselves, torn the inside of my fender flares on the rear to shit. i think if i had mudflaps, which i see you have, i would have been fine.
ya good to know.. hopefully it wont be too bad next weekend. Keeping my eye on the weather reports. If its too bad the group I'm going with will probably back out. I have the only 4wd vehicle and there is like 20 of us in the group..

But for future trips thats good to know. I usually dont go past 10 mph when i have chains on anyway.

How would have mud flaps helped you? Do you mean the chains would have hit those first and saved the inside of the fender flares?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #19

Test fitted my peerless self tightening chains right now. They go on pretty easily, once you get the dang this completely untangled.
Once they are untangled, they go on in about 2 minutes or less, which is nice.

Pros:
quick to get on
color coded for whatever.
instructions are printed on plastic, so when get destroyed when wet
comes with a few extra links for who knows
Self tightening

Cons:
only one complaint really. The self tighteners look kinda cheap. I dont know if they will hold up over time or not. Tried to do some research online but there aren't very many reviews so who knows.

We'll see if I even need to use them when I go up the mountain!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
spitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austin
spitfire501's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
ya good to know.. hopefully it wont be too bad next weekend. Keeping my eye on the weather reports. If its too bad the group I'm going with will probably back out. I have the only 4wd vehicle and there is like 20 of us in the group..

But for future trips thats good to know. I usually dont go past 10 mph when i have chains on anyway.

How would have mud flaps helped you? Do you mean the chains would have hit those first and saved the inside of the fender flares?
yeah that's exactly what i mean. and i believe it would have been more forgiving to hit the mudflaps because they are a softer material. i try and go slow but when the tires started to spin and get going faster was when they smacked