1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Smarter than us or Stupid?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 2009tacomav6, Feb 2, 2009.

?

See first post for full details of the Post question.

1. Toyota plans on owner's upsizing and purposely builds in this error or does nothing to correct it.

17.1%
  2. Toyota has Quality control issues that result in these errors

34.3%
  3. Its pure chance.

51.4%
  1. Feb 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    I have read numerous posts from folks regarding speedometer issues . The feedback from TW members seems to be that Toyota has an allowable amount of error ~10% and if is with in the margin of error, they will not replace the equipment. The trend that I have noticed, more often than not, is where the speed is reading higher than the vehicle is actually traveling.

What are the benefits to this and to whom?

1. With speeds higher than actually traveled miles will be clocking faster than the vehicle actually travels thus your warranty will expire sooner than it should. Benefited party – Toyota

2. If you put on plus size wheels and tires you may be able to correct some of that error. For example, if you have a two mile per hour error and go to a 17 inch wheel you should be able to correct it to zero. If you go to an 18 inch wheel you may clock miles slower than actual and thus your warranty will last potentially longer than the actual miles driven. Benefited party – Owner

So my question is do you think Toyota assumes owners will be putting on larger size wheels and tires on their Tacoma's and as a result factors this in and put's in speedometers running with this error?

2. Feb 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    wheel size doesnt affect the distance traveled(or mph) the larger tires do. Its actually about 5% error from the factory to my knowledge.

I have larger tires and now my speedo is slightly slow- I win!
    When it reads fast, you cant get a ticket as easily either. You're going about 3-4 mph slower than it reads on the highway- I win!

3. Feb 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There are a few ways to fix the speedo errors-mainly Healers and Different size tires if that lil bit of error bothers you that much

Plus I think you'll find most dealerships will not deny you necessary/warranted services at 36001 miles. Most will work with you for a reasonable amount of time...Items that need warrantee coverage are pretty obvious.

The speedo tolerances are set the way they are for exactly the reason you mentioned. They used to be unable to make speedos more precise- so they accepted the tolerance and moved on. Now-They still build to that tolerance but it's because of the fact it's so easy to modify cars-that anyone can make the speedo do whatever they want.

4. Feb 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    TRD packages, at least on the first gens, came with oversized tires. My old taco had two tire size listings in the manual (Haynes). One was a 245 (if memory serves correct) the other was a 31". For Toyota to make a precise speedo for each option package, it would have cost more money than it is worth. It's cheaper to settle for a "one size fits all" option. There is really no sacrifice in quality. It is really a smart thing for Toyota to do IMHO.

5. Feb 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Kinda hadn't thought about it like that...IDK but I think there were 2 tires sizes for my 2008 Access Cab (245 and 265). I guess in that case it is kinda planned...

6. Feb 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Yeah, some packages come with different tire sizes but on the 2nd gen Tacoma the 245's and 265's are on a different aspect ratio, and even wheel size. That makes them almost the same exact size:
    It's 245/75/16 (SR5 4x4 and prerunner)- 30.5" tall
    and 265/70/16 (OR package)- 30.6" tall
    and 265/65/17 (sport package)- 30.6" tall
    these are basically the same size. Just that little .1" can vary between tire manufacturers very easily.

7. Feb 2, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    None of the above ...

The FSM spec allowable variance is on the order of 5%.

I don't know of a brand / manufacturer with tighter tolerances on speedometer readings.

8. Feb 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Way back in the old days (like with my 68 Charger) you could go to the dealer, give them your rear end ratio and tire size, they'd check a chart and give you a speedometer pinion that would make the speedo correct.

I was on a Corolla forum a few years back and asked if something like that could be done with newer Toyotas. Nobody could say yes or no. The speedo on our trucks is electronic, and driven by a reluctance sensor screwed into the tranny. You'd think they'd make different sensors to correct problems like this, but I can't find anyone that does.

9. Feb 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    First off....I don't think there is any problems with the speedometers.

If you owned a Scangauge and a GPS, you'd know this already.

My 2007 truck reads 2mph fast on the dash speedometer.
    The Scangauge takes readings directly from the computer (ECU) which matches the GPS (which is 2mph slower than it reads on the dash speedometer). I've also done a quick mile check, and found my truck to be
    .02 of a mile off.

Since the ECU is the GOD of all tacoma data - than that only means the needle on the speedometer isn't calibrated properly to the numbers on the dash panel. It doesn't mean anything other than a visual concept to the driver.

Get a Scangauge II and you can see the actual readings yourself.

10. Feb 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    ^^
    Janster's wicked smart... :D

11. Feb 3, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    WOW good job..

12. Feb 10, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I have 20" wheels & when I go by a radar on the side of the road that shows your speed. My speedometer said I was doing 35, but the radar said 31. I have noticed a 3-4 mph less than the speedometer shows whenever I pass one of these radar trailers. I guess it keeps me from speeding by being less.

13. Feb 25, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    the OP is also comparing speedo being off to getting more/less mileage on the warranty....speedo has absolutely nothing to do w/ the odometer...

Products Discussed in

To Top