LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Toyota Smarter than us or Stupid?

View Poll Results: See first post for full details of the Post question.
Toyota plans on owner's upsizing and purposely builds in this error or does nothing to correct it. 6 17.14%
Toyota has Quality control issues that result in these errors 12 34.29%
Its pure chance. 18 51.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Smarter than us or Stupid?

I have read numerous posts from folks regarding speedometer issues . The feedback from TW members seems to be that Toyota has an allowable amount of error ~10% and if is with in the margin of error, they will not replace the equipment. The trend that I have noticed, more often than not, is where the speed is reading higher than the vehicle is actually traveling.

What are the benefits to this and to whom?

1. With speeds higher than actually traveled miles will be clocking faster than the vehicle actually travels thus your warranty will expire sooner than it should. Benefited party – Toyota

2. If you put on plus size wheels and tires you may be able to correct some of that error. For example, if you have a two mile per hour error and go to a 17 inch wheel you should be able to correct it to zero. If you go to an 18 inch wheel you may clock miles slower than actual and thus your warranty will last potentially longer than the actual miles driven. Benefited party – Owner

So my question is do you think Toyota assumes owners will be putting on larger size wheels and tires on their Tacoma's and as a result factors this in and put's in speedometers running with this error?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
wheel size doesnt affect the distance traveled(or mph) the larger tires do. Its actually about 5% error from the factory to my knowledge.

I have larger tires and now my speedo is slightly slow- I win!
When it reads fast, you cant get a ticket as easily either. You're going about 3-4 mph slower than it reads on the highway- I win!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
There are a few ways to fix the speedo errors-mainly Healers and Different size tires if that lil bit of error bothers you that much

Plus I think you'll find most dealerships will not deny you necessary/warranted services at 36001 miles. Most will work with you for a reasonable amount of time...Items that need warrantee coverage are pretty obvious.

The speedo tolerances are set the way they are for exactly the reason you mentioned. They used to be unable to make speedos more precise- so they accepted the tolerance and moved on. Now-They still build to that tolerance but it's because of the fact it's so easy to modify cars-that anyone can make the speedo do whatever they want.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
TRD packages, at least on the first gens, came with oversized tires. My old taco had two tire size listings in the manual (Haynes). One was a 245 (if memory serves correct) the other was a 31". For Toyota to make a precise speedo for each option package, it would have cost more money than it is worth. It's cheaper to settle for a "one size fits all" option. There is really no sacrifice in quality. It is really a smart thing for Toyota to do IMHO.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
TRD packages, at least on the first gens, came with oversized tires. My old taco had two tire size listings in the manual (Haynes). One was a 245 (if memory serves correct) the other was a 31". For Toyota to make a precise speedo for each option package, it would have cost more money than it is worth. It's cheaper to settle for a "one size fits all" option. There is really no sacrifice in quality. It is really a smart thing for Toyota to do IMHO.
Kinda hadn't thought about it like that...IDK but I think there were 2 tires sizes for my 2008 Access Cab (245 and 265). I guess in that case it is kinda planned...
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Kinda hadn't thought about it like that...IDK but I think there were 2 tires sizes for my 2008 Access Cab (245 and 265). I guess in that case it is kinda planned...
Yeah, some packages come with different tire sizes but on the 2nd gen Tacoma the 245's and 265's are on a different aspect ratio, and even wheel size. That makes them almost the same exact size:
It's 245/75/16 (SR5 4x4 and prerunner)- 30.5" tall
and 265/70/16 (OR package)- 30.6" tall
and 265/65/17 (sport package)- 30.6" tall
these are basically the same size. Just that little .1" can vary between tire manufacturers very easily.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
None of the above ...

The FSM spec allowable variance is on the order of 5%.

I don't know of a brand / manufacturer with tighter tolerances on speedometer readings.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Way back in the old days (like with my 68 Charger) you could go to the dealer, give them your rear end ratio and tire size, they'd check a chart and give you a speedometer pinion that would make the speedo correct.

I was on a Corolla forum a few years back and asked if something like that could be done with newer Toyotas. Nobody could say yes or no. The speedo on our trucks is electronic, and driven by a reluctance sensor screwed into the tranny. You'd think they'd make different sensors to correct problems like this, but I can't find anyone that does.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
First off....I don't think there is any problems with the speedometers.

If you owned a Scangauge and a GPS, you'd know this already.

My 2007 truck reads 2mph fast on the dash speedometer.
The Scangauge takes readings directly from the computer (ECU) which matches the GPS (which is 2mph slower than it reads on the dash speedometer). I've also done a quick mile check, and found my truck to be
.02 of a mile off.

Since the ECU is the GOD of all tacoma data - than that only means the needle on the speedometer isn't calibrated properly to the numbers on the dash panel. It doesn't mean anything other than a visual concept to the driver.

Get a Scangauge II and you can see the actual readings yourself.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
WOW good job..
Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I have 20" wheels & when I go by a radar on the side of the road that shows your speed. My speedometer said I was doing 35, but the radar said 31. I have noticed a 3-4 mph less than the speedometer shows whenever I pass one of these radar trailers. I guess it keeps me from speeding by being less.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the OP is also comparing speedo being off to getting more/less mileage on the warranty....speedo has absolutely nothing to do w/ the odometer...