View Poll Results: Well... Which ones?
Treadright Guard Dog 27 32.14%
General Grabber AT 38 45.24%
Firestone Destination AT 19 22.62%
Kumho Road Venture 6 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
Which tires to buy for under $600?

Im looking for a new tires to play in the dirt with. All my friends are running lifted silverados with mickey thompson tires and im still in my taco with my michelin LTX M/S2 tires . They usually go hit up trails with dirt hills , dirt slopes , water/mud holes about 2-3 ft deep and areas with loose moist sand (which I get stuck in most of the time). I like these LTX tires , they are damn quite and have worn well over the past 5k I put on them but they suck in the dirt , they have zero traction climbing wet curbs , they love to spin in the sand/mud even with the locker and im looking for something a bit more agressive. I average about 800-1000 miles per month (if that),rarely ever got over 75 , most of my driving is highway/street and every weekend or so I like to explore trails and such but Im limited by my current tires. Im hoping to keep the stock 265/70R16 size and find a setup at around $150 per tire or less. I would like to see 30k to 50k out of these tires

Currently Im looking at these 4 types of tires
Treadright 265/70R16 GUARD DOG M/T (P) ... i everytime i see the tread pattern

General Grabber AT 2
Firestone Destination A/T
Kumho Road Venture KL78

Which of these should I get ... or should I just stick with my current Michelin LTX tires?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look for the yokohama geolandar a/ts....I ran those on my old taco at one point. solid tires. affordable and perform well
Old 01-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the guard dogs in 265/70/17 and they are awesome, but beware if you dont like loud tires they are not for you
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with the Guard Dog if you want maximum off-road traction(but slightly reduced on-road manners). Hercules Terra Trac A/T if you want to maintain some highway comfort.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I had the destination ATs on my old s-10. They are a very practical all terrain and great in the snow, they were quiet, and drove great on road. I didnt do much offroading with them but i would imagine the treadrights have better traction offroad.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the Firestones I had. They lasted 45k miles and did well in anything but mud. I just upgraded to Cooper S/T Maxx. $185 each at sears.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I had the destination ATs on my old s-10. They are a very practical all terrain and great in the snow, they were quiet, and drove great on road. I didnt do much offroading with them but i would imagine the treadrights have better traction offroad.
They suck off-road. A bald highway terrain out performed them on multiple occasions.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
I hear ya on the LTX...awesome tire, but too much extra work
to go offroad with them all the time. good for occasional junkets
but you need to work harder on slippy stuff.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
Timfd024 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Tim
Timfd024's Tacoma Gallery
They are all good choices. I think you might get more usable miles out of the Firestone. FYI Pep Boys are offering buy 3 get one free on Hankook Dynapros and Falken Wild Peak AT, just others I think you should consider especially if you are budget minded like myself.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #10
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Grabber AT2's and am impressed with what they do,snow ,sugar/loose sand and rocky trails/small stuff ..

My riding is on Class 6 roads or private land BUT we do "Air down" for longer rides ....20lbs. on all 4 for me...I have LT's...

Not sure if you are already doing that BUT that helps 2 ways...1st;Tread Lightly and 2nd;wider print of the tire to move you through and over instead of just pushing along...

I totally agree with the LTX comments; I have those on my Ridgeline and while they perform well for moderate snow;(GPS & wife just had me on a Class 6 sno-run) act good in NH rain storms and give me great mileage( 65000 on this set) they will NOT go where the Tacoma goes ...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Take a look for the yokohama geolandar a/ts....I ran those on my old taco at one point. solid tires. affordable and perform well
This ^^^^

I'm running them. Haven't wheeled with them but really like them. Great ride and quiet. I have heard they were not good in snow or ice though. Which doesn't affect me very much.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
This ^^^^

I'm running them. Haven't wheeled with them but really like them. Great ride and quiet. I have heard they were not good in snow or ice though. Which doesn't affect me very much.
Worked more than well for me Offroad in dirt, mud, snow, ice, etc

I'd run them again. Definitely not the most aggressive looking tire, but they work well
Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
I'd go with the Guard Dog if you want maximum off-road traction(but slightly reduced on-road manners). Hercules Terra Trac A/T if you want to maintain some highway comfort.
I wouldn't touch the Hercules tires. They're cheap tires and wear out very quickly, in my experience, making any cost savings null because you have to replace them so often.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
265/75 Guard Dogs would be my choice. Unless you have a baby that needs to take naps in your truck.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
68WHISKEY,

How many miles are on your Michelins? What will you be doing with the Michelins if you replace them?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
This ^^^^

I have these as well, however can't comment on off road performance as the most my truck have seen so far was fireroads etc.

They do look aggressive to me, they are not loud and so far wear slowly so I'm happy.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285 guard dogs and love them. The only other tire I would take over them is the MTR's. I had duratracs before the guard dogs and I like the guard dogs better for wheeling anyway. On road they are loud, really loud.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATm from Discount tire. I payed right at $600 for 4 tires, lifetime balance and replacement warranty. These tires have been great on the street, in rain, mud, sand, and have heard good things about their snow performance as well
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #19
Skeeter Skeetin is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: AET/Flight Mechanic
Name: Greg
Skeeter Skeetin's Tacoma Gallery
I have 4 265/75-16 Cooper Discoverer ATP's. I think they're a great tire for the price.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #20
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
265/75 Guard Dogs would be my choice. Unless you have a baby that needs to take naps in your truck.
My kids always fell asleep to the hum of my tires. My old Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.50/16 on my 92 toy almost put me to sleep several times.