Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Help,what to do? Rubbing tires. Trimming ok???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
GirlRaisedInTexas will become famous soon enoughGirlRaisedInTexas will become famous soon enough
GirlRaisedInTexas's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Help,what to do? Rubbing tires. Trimming ok???

I just had BFG 285-65-18 KO tires and BMF Novacane Death Metal Wheels 18 installed on my 2013 Tacoma DBL cab 2wd. I also did a Max Trac Susp 2.5" front 1" rear lift.
I wish I would have found this site before I had the work done. I trusted the experience of a local place that has been around 40 years.

Basically I went in knowing the wheels I wanted and that I also wanted BFG All Terrain tires. The guy there did the tire calculations and selected the lift. I really should have done more research but I went with what they said was best for the truck. I do not plan on doing any off roading. I just like the look of a lift with bigger tires and fancy wheels.

They finished Friday and I drove it home. Only to notice that I have some tire rubbing when I am turning. It looks like bottom of the fender wells could almost puncture the tires. When the tire is completely turned, you can barely put a finger between the tire and fender well. There is also a horrible sound when the truck dips and drives over low spots. When I called them, they said they could trim the fender wells where it is rubbing. They said that most lifts need some trimming. Is this a normal/acceptable way to handle the situation or should they be putting different size tires on my truck. What are my rights? Are they going to charge me more money if I ask for different size tires and wheels now? What should I be asking for? This is my first truck. Thanks in advance for replying to my post.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
trimming seems to be the way most handle problems with rubbing.
i would say they wont let you return tires for different ones since you have driven in them.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm distressed by the fact that they said this would work with your truck and it clearly does not, not that it can't, it usually can with some modification. You have two choices as i see it, take the truck back and raise hell, make them give you a set that fits your truck without rubbing or get the trimming done. I wouldn't take it back to those people though, I'd be pissed myself. Perhaps some SoCal members can chime in and help you out.

O and welcome to TW!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I'm distressed by the fact that they said this would work with your truck and it clearly does not, not that it can't, it usually can with some modification. You have two choices as i see it, take the truck back and raise hell, make them give you a set that fits your truck without rubbing or get the trimming done. I wouldn't take it back to those people though, I'd be pissed myself. Perhaps some SoCal members can chime in and help you out.

O and welcome to TW!
yea i would suggest getting on the socal bs thread and finding some one local to check it out and help you with the rubbing problem most of us had to do trimming on our truck at one point.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Trim cut chop. Sucks cutting up your truck but dont you wanna keep your big tires? Do you rub the cab mount?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
yea i would suggest getting on the socal bs thread and finding some one local to check it out and help you with the rubbing problem most of us had to do trimming on our truck at one point.
Those are huge fuckin tires for these trucks! Even with a 2 1/2 inch spacer lift, it's still huge, very least the flaps have to go, probably some of that interior plastic pieces on the cabin side of the wheel well. Not sure if she would need a cab mount chop.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those are huge fuckin tires for these trucks! Even with a 2 1/2 inch spacer lift, it's still huge, very least the flaps have to go, probably some of that interior plastic pieces on the cabin side of the wheel well. Not sure if she would need a cab mount chop.
Just a hair smaller than 285/70/17
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Quote:
only 32 1/2 tires basically shouldnt need to do that much just plastics...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Just a hair smaller than 285/70/17
ok, thought they were bigger, still that's beyond what you can stuff in there without trimming, that shop jacked her on those wheels. They knew that shit would rub and then fucked her off over the phone, that's bush league.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say 50% of the people on this forum have had to trim....easy fix. And as Blake mentioned above....there's alot of SoCal members on here that I'm sure would gladly look at it & help with the trimming.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
GirlRaisedInTexas will become famous soon enoughGirlRaisedInTexas will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the replies

They took off the mud flaps before I picked it up. I think the plastic pieces, cabin side of the wheel well will definitely need to go. Also, it looks like some of the black paint has rubbed off deep inside the wheel well...don't know what that area is called. It might be the cab mount. If there is rubbing on the cab mount, then what?

I guess I will have it trimmed. I do not really want a higher lift.
I'm going to ask the guy to test drive it with me so he can see and hear where and when it rubs before trimming. Is that how I should do it?
Open to suggestions.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlRaisedInTexas View Post
They took off the mud flaps before I picked it up. I think the plastic pieces, cabin side of the wheel well will definitely need to go. Also, it looks like some of the black paint has rubbed off deep inside the wheel well...don't know what that area is called. It might be the cab mount. If there is rubbing on the cab mount, then what?

I guess I will have it trimmed. I do not really want a higher lift.
I'm going to ask the guy to test drive it with me so he can see and hear where and when it rubs before trimming. Is that how I should do it?
Open to suggestions.
Ok, click on the link I put in here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ight=cab+mount
It shows the area were most set ups are likely to rub, look at the pics and see if that matches what you are seeing on your truck then we can figure out what to do next, there are members all over Socal that can help you, i wouldn't take it back to the shop ESPECIALLY if those turkeys want to charge you more money for what they should have avoided in the first place.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #13
Smile CMC tutorial

Thank you sooooooo much for posting that CMC tutorial. I will look at my truck tomorrow and see. But at least I know if I do need to have a cab mount chop then I'll make sure they cut, weld new plates and paint it black making sure not to burn up surrounding rubber pieces. There is rubbing on both the fender and wheel wells.

I don't mind a little trim at the bottom of the fender well and the inside wall underneath the glove box area looks like it might need to be notched and maybe the cab mount..... but I do not want the truck to look all chopped up. I'm going to make sure they weld a filler piece or plate and not leave it open. It's my daily driver, brand new and I want to keep it looking nice and clean not like a homemade craft project.

First though I going to ask him why he order such huge tires? I'm going to tell him that I would like smaller tires and to find another BFG that fits the 18 inch rims but fits better on the truck with no rubbing.

Secondly I would like to know why he didn't discuss trimming before I drove away? I mean, I'm sure this is not an isolated incident. So why was nothing said ? I won't pay for the trim or CMC if I need that. I will ask them to absorb that cost since they ordered such huge tires.

I know you said not to go back to that place, but I feel that they are responsible to fix their mistakes. That way they have done all of the work, the lift, tires, wheels, locks, trimming....so that in the future if I have any problems with the truck....they are the only ones who have modified it and they can not blame anyone else. Of course if they don't weld and just plan on trimming with and exacto knife, I wont have them do it. What do you think about that?

This time I will be more informed...just a little late though.

Thank you again for the CMC video link. Good nite.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5995 View Post
only 32 1/2 tires basically shouldnt need to do that much just plastics...
Unless the wheels have an aggresive offset. I had to do the CMC and alot of trimming to avoid rubbing during normal driving with my 285/70/17 and 2.5" of lift

Edit: ruled that one out. I looked up the wheels and found 5" backspacing. Holy balls those wheels arnt cheap.

Girlraisedintexas. Ask the shop about the wheel specs, the backspacing and offset can lead to more rubbing, and i am not sure i found the right info on the 5" backspacing.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlRaisedInTexas View Post
Thank you sooooooo much for posting that CMC tutorial. I will look at my truck tomorrow and see. But at least I know if I do need to have a cab mount chop then I'll make sure they cut, weld new plates and paint it black making sure not to burn up surrounding rubber pieces. There is rubbing on both the fender and wheel wells.

I don't mind a little trim at the bottom of the fender well and the inside wall underneath the glove box area looks like it might need to be notched and maybe the cab mount..... but I do not want the truck to look all chopped up. I'm going to make sure they weld a filler piece or plate and not leave it open. It's my daily driver, brand new and I want to keep it looking nice and clean not like a homemade craft project.

First though I going to ask him why he order such huge tires? I'm going to tell him that I would like smaller tires and to find another BFG that fits the 18 inch rims but fits better on the truck with no rubbing.

Secondly I would like to know why he didn't discuss trimming before I drove away? I mean, I'm sure this is not an isolated incident. So why was nothing said ? I won't pay for the trim or CMC if I need that. I will ask them to absorb that cost since they ordered such huge tires.

I know you said not to go back to that place, but I feel that they are responsible to fix their mistakes. That way they have done all of the work, the lift, tires, wheels, locks, trimming....so that in the future if I have any problems with the truck....they are the only ones who have modified it and they can not blame anyone else. Of course if they don't weld and just plan on trimming with and exacto knife, I wont have them do it. What do you think about that?

This time I will be more informed...just a little late though.

Thank you again for the CMC video link. Good nite.
The CMC thing is probably not something most shops would do, it's a mod that us toyota folks came up with. If in fact you need to do that you'd want to reach out to your local TW members for that. Most shops would just stare stupidly at you if you asked for that. There is a plastic bracket that holds the mud flap they took off, make sure that bracket is gone as well. At 2.5 high i shouldn't think you should need the CMC but I wanted you to see if it is the same area that is rubbing on your truck. Please keep us posted on this and good luck
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a good idea to bring a male friend with you when you go.
Sad to say a lot of these places still take advantage of females.
I'm sure you could get a knowledgeable SoCal TW member to go with you if you need one to or have one check it out before you go to see what needs to be done.
Post some pics of your truck, good luck getting this fixed.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
It might be a good idea to bring a male friend with you when you go.
Sad to say a lot of these places still take advantage of females.
I'm sure you could get a knowledgeable SoCal TW member to go with you if you need one to or have one check it out before you go to see what needs to be done.
Post some pics of your truck, good luck getting this fixed.
I was thinkin the same thing, i think it would be good to get an experienced member to look at it at least before she goes back
Old 01-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Help is on the way. Posted in 3 SoCal threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
GirlRaisedInTexas (but living in SoCal) needs help with 285s rubbing.
She needs someone with expreience to check out & fix her problem.
If you can help her thread is http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/257848-help-what-do-rubbing-tires-trimming-ok.html
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
What city are you in.