Notices

Tire weight dilemma

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tire weight dilemma

I am planning on 265 65 18 tires for my taco.

I like the BFG AT's a lot they are pricy but I don't mind as they are Proven tire. The problem I am thinking is they are a heavy tire so I am concerned about my mpg. I have also been looking at the new Toyo open country AT 2's they seem to have a nice aggressive Appearance and a very good tread life and I can get the P rated tire as that will do fine for my use so the weight is about 10 lbs less. Tire... That seem like a lot but again I am no expert so here I ask......

Will there be a huge difference in mpg between the two? I drive a ton of highway.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Any kind of weight saving you can get always helps. As to how much of a difference you'll see is hard to determine. We can only speculate and even then it's just a wild guess. If you're upgrading your stock wheels, take that into consideration as well. Try to balance out the combo as best as possible. More often than not, P rated tires will provide a smoother, quieter, and better handling ride for daily use.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not hauling or driving off road I'd stick with P rated and I'd probably choose the AT3 over the BFG. 10 lbs per tire is a decent amount.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
I have P rated and did not lose any mpg when upsizing to 265/75R16. Most people who get LTs in the same size seem to lose 1-2 mpg, which may not sound like a lot but is around a 10% decrease.