Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

15" Wheels / 3.75 Backspacing / 1.25 Spacers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
15" Wheels / 3.75 Backspacing / 1.25 Spacers

I'm juuuust about ready to pull the trigger on a set of wheels/tires for my '01 reg cab, just wanted to verify with the gurus that this should work.

I'm going to a 15x8 rim, with 3.75" backspacing. I have 1.25" Spidertrax spacers going on as well, and am going to a 33x10.5 (or 12.5) tire. That should clear the calipers w/minimal rubbing, correct?

(Apologies again for the newbie question, just don't want to have to send anything back)

Edit: I have 2.5" of lift as well.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I bet you'd have less rubbing without the spacers than with them.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Think so? I was planning on 15x8 which (iirc) are just an inch wider than stock. I figure if anything the spacers will help them clear the calipers, and if it's just a matter of the pinch weld mod and some fender trimming I'd be fine.

I'm more concerned with ordering the wheels/tires and finding out that they won't make it over the calipers. There looks to be about 1.5" of clearance with the stock 16s, and I assume that a 15" in diameter rim is about 1/2" of clearance less all around.

I could be completely off though, heh. My truck's a budget woodsmobile and 15" tires are lot cheaper than 16s. I don't do heavy rock crawling or any jumping/etc, and I love the look of spacers. It's like the poor man's wider tire.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
So I'm searching some more - with the 1.25" spacers that'd effectively put me at 2.5" of backspacing, which would make my wheels stick way the hell out, correct? (1.25 spacer + 3.75" backspace wheel = 2.5" backspace?)

So I probably don't need the (brand new, ugh) Spidertrax if I go with the 3.75BS rim, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
So I'm searching some more - with the 1.25" spacers that'd effectively put me at 2.5" of backspacing, which would make my wheels stick way the hell out, correct? (1.25 spacer + 3.75" backspace wheel = 2.5" backspace?)

So I probably don't need the (brand new, ugh) Spidertrax if I go with the 3.75BS rim, right?
Yes you're correct, that's where I was coming from.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Insert witty title here

Air Force:
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Rgr that. At the expense of my sanity, assuming the wheel itself clears the caliper, with 3.75BS on a 15" running 33x10s, I should have minimal rubbing, correct? (Assuming I do the pinch weld mod)

Apologies again for so many questions, but the truck goes in the shop for the lift tomorrow and I'm ordering wheels/tires. I really don't want to screw it up, haha.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
Rgr that. At the expense of my sanity, assuming the wheel itself clears the caliper, with 3.75BS on a 15" running 33x10s, I should have minimal rubbing, correct? (Assuming I do the pinch weld mod)

Apologies again for so many questions, but the truck goes in the shop for the lift tomorrow and I'm ordering wheels/tires. I really don't want to screw it up, haha.
Yes sir.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
You may have to do some minor trimming of the front fender.
The issues I had with my 33x12's were at almost full turn, the corner of the tread came in contact with the front fender one way and the pinch weld area the other way, but after a little trimming all is well now. It should all work out for you.