Tire hum or???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
alpinebob is on a distinguished road
Navy: AD
Name: bob
alpinebob's Tacoma Gallery
Tire hum or???

I have an 08 Tacoma double cab 4 w d auto. I bought it last may with 86k miles.
Runs FINE!
Previous vehicle was a 95 Tacoma with 285 K miles and running great but I needed the full back seat room.

About Three month ago I bought a set of Michelin Xts tires as the originals were getting a bit thin. The new tires ride and feel great, but I can hear and feel (in the steering wheel) a slight hum/vibration , mostly at 45-50 mph on any smooth road surface, wet or dry. As I said it is "slight" but I am keenly sensantive to vibs.

My local Auto Tech has road tested it and thinks that it may be tire noise but he is not sure. Tire dealer says he has had no issues with these tires and has sold many sets over the past years. I had installed them on my 95 Taco and did not notice any "hum" and i know that the 2008 truck is quieter overall.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, Alpine bob
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
wheel bearing starting to go?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Rotate the tires and see if the hum/vibe changes. Or even, change the tire pressure temporarily to see if anything changes. By doing this, could narrow it down to the tires.

The new tires could actually hum......as part of the tire design. The vibration could be a balance issue - since you just got them installed..??
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My cheap ass 245 Dunlop's just started doing this about month ago. I know these tires couldn't hum if they wanted to. But it honestly sounds like I have a set of 285 MT's on now. Usually does it anywhere from 30mph +

Never thought about the wheel bearing Jamie, I guess that gives me somewhere to start.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
And btw mine DOES NOT sound like this video of a wheel bearing going bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL1dl_M0Nxs It's just a slight hum which you can only really hear when the radio is off
Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started out soft and got louder.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
alpinebob is on a distinguished road
Navy: AD
Name: bob
alpinebob's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all for the replies.
I have had tires rotated and balanced at Discount, they run very smoothly so I know the balance is good. I raised the tire pressure from 35 to 40 Psi, no difference in the sound.
Today, I tried coasting in neutral , engine off, engine on, no difference at the "hum speed" of 45-50 Mph. had a buddy ride shotgun and he heard the hum too.
I don't suspect a wheel bearing because the hum is very smooth not grating as a bearing will sound.
In four thousand miles 90K I will have both front and rear differentials drained and refilled with synthetic lube, so I will not do it until then.
As to the comment on the radio, I cant hear the hum with the radio on, or with a window open. It is really a low volume hum which seems to be totally speed related leading me toward tire vibration resonating somewhere in the body/chassis???
alpinebob