LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Am I the only one who really likes the early first gen rims?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Am I the only one who really likes the early first gen rims?

Am I the only one who really likes the early first gen rims?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358743246.190254.jpg
I like them, what can I say why buy new rims when these look fine. Going to 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains. Anyone see any problems?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
No problem at all, go for it!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
33's on stock rims will rub, that's why.. what lift are you running?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
33's on stock rims will rub, that's why.. what lift are you running?
incorrect! well sorta..

33x12.5s will rub on the UCA due to width and the BS of stock rims.

but a 33x10.5 is the same width as a stock 31x10.5 so he will be fine..other then the pinch weld rubbing probably due to the hieght.

i loved my stock 15s. But i wanted 12.5s and you can't run a 12.5 on a 7'' wide rim like stocks.

but stock rims are sweet!.

I repainted mine and they were awesome.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
3rd gen runner wheels FTMFW
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Going to 2.5 5100s and 3 inch coils
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
incorrect! well sorta..

33x12.5s will rub on the UCA due to width and the BS of stock rims.

but a 33x10.5 is the same width as a stock 31x10.5 so he will be fine..other then the pinch weld rubbing probably due to the hieght.

i loved my stock 15s. But i wanted 12.5s and you can't run a 12.5 on a 7'' wide rim like stocks.

but stock rims are sweet!.

I repainted mine and they were awesome.

What rims are those? And how much did that grill guard set you back??
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
you can get that grill guard cheap on JC whitney IIRC..
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Didn't pay for the grill guard. Came with the truck. They are worthless though. If you hit anything wi it it'll just fold over onto the truck. I actually think they are pricey. More worth it to get an offroad bumper.

Rim also came with the truck but I think they are 4runner rims. I found a site with em once for 70 a piece.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wait....you're going to use 3" coils AND set the billies to 2.5"?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Attachment 191145
I like them, what can I say why buy new rims when these look fine. Going to 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains. Anyone see any problems?
I agree, I think those stock wheels (the ones I have with 33x10.5x15 BFG AT) are the best looking tacoma wheels for the 1st gen by far. I just derped them flat black and they work great and look great.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Wait....you're going to use 3" coils AND set the billies to 2.5"?
x2, get the 3"coils and set the billies at 0", not 2.5.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
x2, get the 3"coils and set the billies at 0", not 2.5.
Maybe I'm confused about how I'm suppose to set it up. I am planning to run 33s on 2.5-3 inches of lift I was planning on buying 5100s and 3 inch taller coils. Maybe I should be asking how I should set this up?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Maybe I'm confused about how I'm suppose to set it up. I am planning to run 33s on 2.5-3 inches of lift I was planning on buying 5100s and 3 inch taller coils. Maybe I should be asking how I should set this up?
The adjustability of the 5100s is made for stock length coils. If you buy longer coils, you eliminate the need for the height adjustment. Buy longer coils (i.e. Eibachs or OME) and set the 5100s at 0, will yield ~2.5-3" lift. Some people have gotten away with setting the 5100s to 0.85 with longer coils, but your ride will be much better setting them at 0
Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
There are no 3'' longer coils. No shock you could run on stock UCAs and LCAs will fit one that long.

im assuming you mean 3'' lift coil. most likely the Toytech Eibachs? You do NOT want to precompress them at all. The 5100s adjust for just stock coils. If you get 883 OME coils or Eibach Toytech coils you MUST set the 5100 on the lowest setting. Or you wont have any CV axles for very long.

Im running the 5100s and Eibachs. Love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
The adjustability of the 5100s is made for stock length coils. If you buy longer coils, you eliminate the need for the height adjustment. Buy longer coils (i.e. Eibachs or OME) and set the 5100s at 0, will yield ~2.5-3" lift. Some people have gotten away with setting the 5100s to 0.85 with longer coils, but your ride will be much better setting them at 0
THis. Except on there is no .85'' lift selection on 1st gen 5100s. There is on 2nd gens and 2nd gen tacomas run the eibachs at .85 to get 3'' of lift as you have a bigger motor and diff and well..heavier truck.

1st gen 5100s only have 0'', 1.25'' and 2.5'' for adjustablity.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
THis. Except on there is no .85'' lift selection on 1st gen 5100s. There is on 2nd gens and 2nd gen tacomas run the eibachs at .85 to get 3'' of lift as you have a bigger motor and diff and well..heavier truck.

1st gen 5100s only have 0'', 1.25'' and 2.5'' for adjustablity.
Ah. Got it, I knew I had seen people talking about them on here. Good to know
Old 01-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #17

So how does it work having taller coils without taller shocks. This doesn't make sense too me when you adjust them does it make them taller or does it just compress the coils more? Some technical explanation would be helpful.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
So how does it work having taller coils without taller shocks. This doesn't make sense too me when you adjust them does it make them taller or does it just compress the coils more? Some technical explanation would be helpful.
Eibachs are taller then stock coils. But not 3" taller. They are also much heavier duty coils meriting just over 3" of lift

5100s just compress the coils more to provide lift. This works okay on stock coils but you should never compress coils that provide lift by themselves.

If you got a 3" physically longer coil you would have to be running long travel as eh run 8" or 10" travel long shocks as opposed to the 6" travel shocks stock amd 5100s provide.

Our trucks can't handle more then 3" of lift very well amd the eibachs push the limit as it is.

Make sense??
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #19

So they really aren't taller they are much stiffer so they don't compress as much under load. This makes a lot more sense now.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
So they really aren't taller they are much stiffer so they don't compress as much under load. This makes a lot more sense now.
Well they are longer. Not 3" longer. Probably more like 1"ish taller. But yes they are much stiffer to take a heavier load like bumpers skids winch dual batteries and what not.

Either way.

Do not get lift coils and then precompress them the 5100s. They must be set at 0 with bigger lift coils.