Notices

Looking for GOOD, QUIET tires

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Sky King is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Sky King's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for GOOD, QUIET tires

I am one of those, "what ever floats your boat", kind of person so if you are into "aggressive" looking, or off-road tires, I'm OK with that. However, that is not what I am looking for.

My Tacoma is not a 4WD. It is a '07 Double Cab. It will live all it's life with me ON road, mostly highway. The tires on it now are a Firestone with about 15K miles of life left on them. They make a horrible noise.

I will be looking for a set of tires that have three primary characteristics. They need to have good longevity, they must be quiet, and have good wet road handling capabilities. I personally couldn't care less what they LOOK like. I am a function over form kind of person. 90% percent of my purchases are use/mission/performance based, cosmetics add nothing to this equasion.

I hope I am not asking too much in a tire for this truck, but I put about 30K miles on a vehicle a year so I don't want to be buying tires every 1 1/2 to 2 years. 90% of these miles will be interstate highway miles.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Are you wanting to stick with the stock sizes? What size are you running now?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
I am one of those, "what ever floats your boat", kind of person so if you are into "aggressive" looking, or off-road tires, I'm OK with that. However, that is not what I am looking for.

My Tacoma is not a 4WD. It is a '07 Double Cab. It will live all it's life with me ON road, mostly highway. The tires on it now are a Firestone with about 15K miles of life left on them. They make a horrible noise.

I will be looking for a set of tires that have three primary characteristics. They need to have good longevity, they must be quiet, and have good wet road handling capabilities. I personally couldn't care less what they LOOK like. I am a function over form kind of person. 90% percent of my purchases are use/mission/performance based, cosmetics add nothing to this equasion.

I hope I am not asking too much in a tire for this truck, but I put about 30K miles on a vehicle a year so I don't want to be buying tires every 1 1/2 to 2 years. 90% of these miles will be interstate highway miles.
If price isn't an issue, go with the Michelin LTX's. They last forever, have a good milage warranty, and are not loud on road.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
^^
I used to run LTX AT/2's

I live in hawaii

they had great wet road traction, never ran into a time where I didn't have grip

even did pretty well offroad too

no road noise at all
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX AT/2's are exactly what you want.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
LTX MS2! That's the only tire ill put on my truck. Same reasons as you stated. Be prepared for a large bill!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
Michelin LTX AT/2's are exactly what you want.
+100,000
Had them on my Ranger for over 100k miles. Plenty of life left when I sold it.
Given the incredible mileage, cheapest tires I ever bought.
Great ride, great traction, and no noise = best tires too.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...ry/light-truck
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Michelin LTX.

Tons of sipes for wet traction. Never broke them loose in 2WD even when I tried in the rain. Fantastic tire, ridiculously quiet and they'll do your gas bill good too!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
LTX MS2 will give you greater FE and you'll get more miles out of em

the AT2 is obviously more of an AT so you'll get a little less of those two things for a gain in off road capability
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
WOOOOOOO!!!
Big Tea is a jewel in the roughBig Tea is a jewel in the roughBig Tea is a jewel in the rough

Big Tea's Tacoma Gallery
x 1,000,000 on the Michelins. They are not what I have on my truck right now but I've gotten upwards of 75,000+ miles on a set on an F-150 crew cab that spent 90% of it's life on the pavement.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You'll probably squeeze 3 years out of the MS2s also (90,000) they are rated for 70,000 but I've read a lot of reviews of people getting 90-100 on larger vehicles than a Tacoma.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote got the Michelins. That's the only tire my dad will run on his dodge diesel. Got 75k miles out of his last set.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #16

11 pages over 2.5 years of people talking about them.

Fist good thread I found when I searched, there are others

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...-ltx-m-s2.html
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
Like the others have said, Michelin LTX M/S2. 100,000 miles will be no problem. I ran the older series M/S for over 110,000 miles.

Low / no noise, excellent wet weather traction, great on handling and do well in snow.

They are expensive initially, but cheaper in the long run
Old 01-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I think it was mentioned previously but I vote for Michelins
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Sky King is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
Sky King's Tacoma Gallery
Many thanks for all the replies. My brother, who has a 1st gen Tacoma crew cab, is on his third set of the Michelin's LTXs. He swears by them. His only negative comment was that he had to go back to the tire strore three times with each set to get them balanced. Once they were balanced properly, he said they were smooth as glass. He also said that the Michelin LTX is talked about a lot on internet forums as being hard to balance but Michelin and the tire stores will not admit it. He said to get them balanced properly, you have to do the load force balance rather than the standard spin balance.

In any case, it sounds like the Michelin's will be the way I go when it is time.

Thanks again to all.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
LTX MS2! That's the only tire ill put on my truck. Same reasons as you stated. Be prepared for a large bill!
Had these on my '06. Great tire, quiet and great wear. I'll be getting another set on my '10 as soon as the current ones are done.