Notices

Newbie to lifts and tire sizes

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Jferrill84 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Jferrill84's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie to lifts and tire sizes

I have a 2013 prerunner. Looking to do a 2-3" lift. What are the pros and cons of the body and suspension lifts? Also, with that size lift , will I have to get bigger tires and all? Can I keep the original wheels and tires on with the lift ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Canadian Redneck
NiceTaco has a spectacular aura aboutNiceTaco has a spectacular aura about

NiceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Oh they will try to murder you on here for not hitting the search button... But I'm not an asshole...

Body lift I wouldn't bother with they don't seem to popular on these trucks.

Suspension lift is the way to go, there are many routes you can take depending on what you want. You can spend a little or alot on a lift again it depends on what you want and how deep your pockets are. I will advise you to search some of your options tho..

Spindle lifts are popular on prerunners I think. Some other popular companies are OME (old man emu), Toytec, Icon etc to give you a few search options...
You can look at bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks... Most people will advise you to stay away from spacer lifts.

If you go 2.5 -3" you will need to change your UCA's so consider that cost.

You will find lots of good info on the forums and most people are willing to help but there are a few dick farmers around. I am not to familiar with Prerunners so hopefully my info isn't completely wrong.

As far as changing the wheels/tires you don't "have" to do anything but you may want to especially if you go 3" may look a little odd with stock but I am sure you can find some pics on here.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
MIAtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
MIAtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I personally have a spacer lift on my base model because I don't have deep pockets and I don't do much off roading they are good for a quick lift but limit the up travel of your front suspension. The bilstein 5100s are a good option for up to a 2.5" lift and you can swap you rear leafs for the ones off the 5 lug because they have more of a curve because 5 lugs run the axle over the leafs. You can also try some coils overs on the front but they cost a little more ( roughly $1000+)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
lol

Nicetaco gave you some good info, but if you are looking for a more specific answer you will have to try to give us some specifics. Do you plan on offroading? What is your budget? Do you want to "level" the truck or lift the front and rear the same.
This info will help becase you can spend a few hundred on a lift to a few thousand, all depends on what you want to use it for.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
jaymay82 is on a distinguished road
jaymay82's Tacoma Gallery
Cool turtles
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
Jferrill84 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Jferrill84's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not plannin on doing any mudding. Maybe trail rides. Not trying to do anything crazy as far as lifts and tires. Just wanna level it and raise two inches.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Get some bilstein 5100s. Keep it cheap and use your stock coils. Set the billys to 1.75 and your good to go. When the time comes bump up a tire size to 265/75/16