Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

LT vs. P Tire question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
AZarchitect is on a distinguished road

AZarchitect's Tacoma Gallery
LT vs. P Tire question

I bought my 2001 tacoma with LT tires. However, have learned that Passenger tires are recommended. I am getting vibration at high (65mph) speeds and a constant rotational humming (if you will),,,should these tires be replaced? They are about 75% worn.

wah, wah, wah, wah is the noise at 65mph

wah,,,,,,,wah,,,,,,,wah,,,,,,wah is the noise at 15mph.

Used floor jack to check the bearings for any play,,,none found,,, there's no groaning noise.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Are the tires cupped or wearing unevenly? Poorly worn tires could cause vibrations and noise like you described.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Type of tire and brand can effect this also....
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
AZarchitect is on a distinguished road

AZarchitect's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I just got back from the tire place. I had them replace all the tires. $850 later the vibration is completely gone. AWESOME! I went with a LT245/75 R16 A/T. They look and feel great! Can't wait to hit the snow this weekend!

The low growling noise is still there though, I think it's coming from the front passenger area. Only hear it when I'm rolling. maybe it is a bearing after all. Has anyone had a similar experience?