Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Take 2: Indecisive Tires - 265/75r16

View Poll Results: Which A/T tire should I go with in 265/75r16?
Toyo Open Country ATII - P class 7 9.21%
Toyo Open Country ATII - LT C-6Ply 5 6.58%
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - C-6Ply 42 55.26%
General Grabber AT2 11 14.47%
Hankook Dynapro ATM P Class 9 11.84%
Hankook Dynapro ATM LT 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
belone12's Tacoma Gallery
Take 2: Indecisive Tires - 265/75r16

I posted a poll last month and was confident I knew which direction I was going. Well, that changed. I can't get hammered on poor MPG anymore so I am dropping down to 265/75r16 (from 285). I'd like to retain some of my current beefy look, but want the truck to drive well/comfortable over long distances in mixed weather. Reality: driving 80% on-road/ 20% off-road. I'd like to keep it limited just to the options I posted.

If you have a side profile pic similar to this one...it would be awesome if you could post it for comparison.

Tires are the priority. I have to sort out the front suspension afterwards. Leave that for another day. THANKS!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Are you adjusting your mpg figures to show the difference in tire size? For instance, a 33 inch tire is 6% larger than a 31 inch tire, so every mile you drive you are actually going 1*1.06 miles...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
belone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbelone12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sadly yes. i did a double take on my last fill up, but that was adjusting 7.75% for the tire difference. I drove around the city a lot/stop and go traffic. But even 13mpg is brutal when i'm on the highway.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ouch, I get 17-18 with my 33s
Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
mindEASE is on a distinguished road
mindEASE's Tacoma Gallery
Indecisive tires.

My tires are never indecisive. Lol. I had to say it.

That being said, I have the GY Wrangler Duratracs in 265/75 and I love them.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Grabber AT2's in that size;265/75/16 but they are LT's...

My mileage drop was minimal at best coming from P-series 265/70/16...except for the fact I now "play" more with the AT's ..

I did purchase these from an "Islander",Mountainprimat2, who gave me a TW "great deal" because he upgraded to LARGER tires...

The LOOK is in my avater pic if that is needed...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Nickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shedNickel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Diego
Nickel's Tacoma Gallery
The only tire I recommend is the Michelin LTX AT/2, load range c. Best all around tire, quiet on highway, pretty good off road, high mileage, excellent quality. Just my $0.02
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Ouch, I get 17-18 with my 33s
I feel like i have the worst performing taco out there, I don't know what to do, the fuel is a killer. I was expecting 15-18mpg and totally fine with that, but 10-13 is rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindEASE View Post
My tires are never indecisive. Lol. I had to say it.

That being said, I have the GY Wrangler Duratracs in 265/75 and I love them.
Haha, my tires want to go off-roading, but they'd rather go to the gas station instead. Wrong decision for me. I'm liking the Duratracs too.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
I have the Grabber AT2's in that size;265/75/16 but they are LT's...

My mileage drop was minimal at best coming from P-series 265/70/16...except for the fact I now "play" more with the AT's ..

I did purchase these from an "Islander" who gave me a TW "great deal" because he upgraded to LARGER tires...

The LOOK is in my avater pic if that is needed...
Nice, i like the look of those as well! I walk past a Wrangler with AT2's on the way home and like that tread. Is that your Defender in your gallery?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I love my duratracs. I saw a set of toyo atII the other day and i really liked them, duratracs look beefier though IMO, i would imagine the toyos would be more practical for on road driving.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
The only tire I recommend is the Michelin LTX AT/2, load range c. Best all around tire, quiet on highway, pretty good off road, high mileage, excellent quality. Just my $0.02
Sounds good. Unfortunately they are up there in price for me. Duratracs are at the top of my price range.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I love my duratracs. I saw a set of toyo atII the other day and i really liked them, duratracs look beefier though IMO, i would imagine the toyos would be more practical for on road driving.
i saw Toyo's on a 4runner the other day and really liked them. made me reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
might as well get the best... bfg a/t ko
I've had them in past and liked them, up there with the michelins though. I bought 31x10.50 BFG AT's at Sears in 1997 for $90/tire for my 1st car - Jeep.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have experience with any of those listed but most of them were on my shopping list last year and will be again in the future.

Out of those I would pick Duratracs based on reviews and general opinion of them on TW. Also they are supposedly very good in snow which is always welcome in NY? They do look beefy, although a I'm not always convinced of the side profile...

Second choice, and the ones I just about bought before I came across a deal for used Yoko AT's for way cheaper is General Grabber AT2's. They likewise get great reviews. In the looks department, they remind me of the BFG AT KO's. They should be way cheaper than Duratracs, at least that is the case in my neck of the woods.

Then again, not first hand experience with either of them yet....
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
I don't have experience with any of those listed but most of them were on my shopping list last year and will be again in the future.

Out of those I would pick Duratracs based on reviews and general opinion of them on TW. Also they are supposedly very good in snow which is always welcome in NY? They do look beefy, although a I'm not always convinced of the side profile...

Second choice, and the ones I just about bought before I came across a deal for used Yoko AT's for way cheaper is General Grabber AT2's. They likewise get great reviews. In the looks department, they remind me of the BFG AT KO's. They should be way cheaper than Duratracs, at least that is the case in my neck of the woods.

Then again, not first hand experience with either of them yet....
Yeah we get some snow and i am a skier. To be honest I don't even trust my current tires on snow roads upstate and in VT. Both the Duratracs and the AT2's get great winter reviews, but there is a price difference between the 2. I am leaning toward Goodyear though as it's not a purchase I will have to make again for a few years.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #16

I really like my Cooper ATP's, pretty quiet, good siping and what not. I'll get coopers again.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #17

Another thought, when I switched from my MT's to AT's I gained a full mpg.... Another thing to keep in mind is that it's shitty fuel season, my usual 18ish is down to 16ish right now.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belone12 View Post
Yeah we get some snow and i am a skier. To be honest I don't even trust my current tires on snow roads upstate and in VT. Both the Duratracs and the AT2's get great winter reviews, but there is a price difference between the 2. I am leaning toward Goodyear though as it's not a purchase I will have to make again for a few years.
See, I did not know you budget so I voted Duratracs. For me, Duratracs being $50-$70 more expensive per tire, I would probably end up buying AT2's as was the plan before..
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm not sure about the other tires your concidering but just wanted to mention that my 265/75/16 bfg a/t's have the snowflake insignia stamped on them.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice, i like the look of those as well! I walk past a Wrangler with AT2's on the way home and like that tread. Is that your Defender in your gallery?

I really like the AT2's, they handle nice off-road; rocks, snow , sand and even a little mud and have great road manners..louder than my street radials BUT not enough to crank the radio...my wife calls it a mild hum...

The Defender belongs to a friend who happens to own www.jasperoffroad.com.... That was a trial Flex-out when he 1st purchased it on private property I have access too ....