Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Need help choosing M/T tires!

View Poll Results: Which tire do you recommend?
BFG 285/70R17, Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 40 41.24%
Goodyear 295/65R-18, Duratrac 22 22.68%
Toyo 295/70R-17, Open Country Mud Terrain 24 24.74%
Mickey Thompson 285/70R-17, Baja MTZ Radial Tire 17 17.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
mercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to behold

Navy: civil service
Name: gary
mercurymullet's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 97 explorers. One is stock with 265/75 16 michelin all seasons. The other is about 800lbs heavier, same motor with 33x12.50 15 KM2s. The offroad one gets better MPG. Not saying that the two vehicles might just differ, but I was impressed with the mpg of the KM2s for MTs
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
And one thing i forgot to mention. Is price a problem? if it is thats why most go with the BFGs. if you can foot the bill for some Mickey Thompsons i would. I havent heard of anyone hating them and will always buy Mickey Thompson
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
ive had procomps, 2 different nittos, and a set of goodyears. im now on hankook mt rt03's and they are by far my favorite
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
I wheel with a few guys that run Mickey Thompson's and they are an awesome tire. If you have the cash I would get those. However, I have BFG's on my truck and things get a little hairy in the rain but other than that it's a great tire.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #25
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks for the input, guys! Keep it comin!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #28
AcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the roughAcadianTaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Vince
AcadianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can't comment on your list of tires, but I ran the Hankook MT RT03 and they were a good tire all around for a MT.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Km2
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I liked my Hankook MT's
This.

Plus, they won 4 Wheeler magazine's MT shootout beating out both Toyo's and KM2's.

Edit: Toyo's weren't in the shootout, but the MTZ's were (took 3rd). KM2's came in 8th...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Looks like the KM2s are doing pretty good in the poll. Does anyone know how to find out how much each tire weighs?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I can bet the reason the KM2s are on top is because of sheer popularity not performance.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #33
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
km2 is popular, not sure why other than great marketing and the endless sizes, otherwise any of your other choices would be preferred imo. have you considered the dick cepek mud country? what about the intero ssr or trxus, all 3 of these will outperform the km2 just like the others you have in your list.

km2 is the lightest of the bunch, tread depot list the weight of these i think, so does bfg, if not they will provide it to you. if you want lighter just remember they won't be tougher, that extra weight in the sidewalls of the toyo's and mickeys are good for wheeling..

edit - duratrac is weak also.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #34
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I can bet the reason the KM2s are on top is because of sheer popularity not performance.
X2

The older KM's were better, IMO.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #35
Shits & Giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
Hmm, quite likely me thinks.

I was really hoping this thread would make my search easier but it is mostly adding several more dimensions to it instead.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
Shits & Giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
km2 is popular, not sure why other than great marketing and the endless sizes, otherwise any of your other choices would be preferred imo. have you considered the dick cepek mud country? what about the intero ssr or trxus, all 3 of these will outperform the km2 just like the others you have in your list.

km2 is the lightest of the bunch, tread depot list the weight of these i think, so does bfg, if not they will provide it to you. if you want lighter just remember they won't be tougher, that extra weight in the sidewalls of the toyo's and mickeys are good for wheeling..

edit - duratrac is weak also.
I like the Dick Cepeks, they even look siped. The Interco's are a little too much tire for what I want. I'd like a nice mix between road use and trail use (snow, mud, rock etc.).

When getting M/Ts, should I even bother with road noise? Is pretty much any M/T just gonna be noisy as heck?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #37
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
MTZ's trust me you can't go wrong with them.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #39
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dura tracs
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskross View Post
I like the Dick Cepeks, they even look siped. The Interco's are a little too much tire for what I want. I'd like a nice mix between road use and trail use (snow, mud, rock etc.).

When getting M/Ts, should I even bother with road noise? Is pretty much any M/T just gonna be noisy as heck?
ya the dick cepeks do have some siping which will help in wet conditions, they are 3 ply sidewall also and have a nice center channel to clear water well on the road. i ran interco ssr's on previous rig, they were the smoothest off road tire i've ever experienced on the road and the siping in them works wonders, went to these after running swamper radials which had no siping and sucked in wet or icy road conditions.

getting to the noise, what you will find is every mud tire has a slightly different tone depending on the tread. vehicle weight and tire pressure impact road noise also.

Products Discussed in this Thread