Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Need help choosing M/T tires!

View Poll Results: Which tire do you recommend?
BFG 285/70R17, Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 40 41.24%
Goodyear 295/65R-18, Duratrac 22 22.68%
Toyo 295/70R-17, Open Country Mud Terrain 24 24.74%
Mickey Thompson 285/70R-17, Baja MTZ Radial Tire 17 17.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
Name: Chris
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
Need help choosing M/T tires!

I think I've narrowed it down to these:

BFG 285/70R17, Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tire
Goodyear Wrangler 285/70R-17, Duratrac Tire
Toyo 295/70R-17, Open Country Mud Terrain
Mickey Thompson 285/70R-17, Baja MTZ Radial Tire

I like to do a variety of offroading including snow, mud and rock. I just don't want to be limited as to what I can do by my tires without sacrificing an unreasonable amount of MPGs and daily drive-ability. What's your favorite, which ones need to be removed from the list?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Be warned toyos wear quickly but are great for traction.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Taco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant futureTaco Libre has a brilliant future
Name: JohnnyHildo
Taco Libre's Tacoma Gallery
dura-tracs aren't a mud tire, they're all terrain. given its your daily driver its what i would recommend tho
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oowen View Post
Be warned toyos wear quickly but are great for traction.
completely opposite experience with the toyos, first set on this truck but on other fullsizes in the family we have gotten 40k+. I expect my toyos to outlast my last set of KM2s, both E rated.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Libre View Post
dura-tracs aren't a mud tire, they're all terrain. given its your daily driver its what i would recommend tho
He might mean MT/R's?

OP all mud terrains will destroy gas mileage (They're heavier than road tires and offroad contact patches arent as efficient onroad), but all the ones you posted seem to have a fair following behind them; each person will tell you what they run is the best

I ran KM2's before I picked up these MT/Rs, and toyos before that

the km2's are super quiet onroad and have excellent grip offroad, never ran into traction issues- tread wear was great; after about 30k they still had around 50/60% tread left
these MT/R's are a little louder onroad but still pretty quiet, excellent grip on the rocks. From what I've read the tread design doesnt offer itself as well to self-cleaning in the mud, but I absolutely hate mud anyways....

the toyo's are the loudest of the bunch, but had excellent traction on the rocks as well

I had trouble with the toyo and the KM2 in the rain, on-road, but that's to be expected with a mt
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

These are the Goodyears I'm looking at

I've heard the same things about the Toyos, that they can be loud and depending on the ply can wear kinda quick.

They are all comparable in price but I like the larger size of the wrangers and toyos but with larger size comes more money into gas...
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
dura-tracs!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskross View Post
These are the Goodyears I'm looking at

I've heard the same things about the Toyos, that they can be loud and depending on the ply can wear kinda quick.

They are all comparable in price but I like the larger size of the wrangers and toyos but with larger size comes more money into gas...
Duratracs arent mud terrains, theyre all terraina
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Shits & Giggles

I would think the duratracs would still do just fine in the mud though, so I'm leaving it as an option.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Findus11 will become famous soon enoughFindus11 will become famous soon enough
Findus11's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Duratracs if you see any snow they're a great choice as well
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #13
3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough3RZ Taco is a jewel in the rough

Army: 91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Name: Austin
3RZ Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have BFG A/T KO's and they do fine in snow and mud, grip real well on rocks and last amazingly well. But for M/T's i would go with the BFG MT's
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I liked my Hankook MT's
X2... like muh RT03's better then muh previous KMII's

they seem to do well in a variety of conditions.
often surpassing the KMII's in specific conditions.
Snow and wet road surface comes to mind.

But I'm still breaking 'dem in
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Mickey thompson MTZ for me! My favorite tire Ive ever owned. Too bad theyre a bit pricey. I didnt like the km2s, I find them too slippery in the rain IMO.

Currently running Maxxis Bighorn in 34s. I love it! Handled awesome in everything offroad. Good price too! Better in pavement than KM2, especially in rain.
10ply would hurt your mpg. Stay with 8 or less.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
I've gotten great mileage out of all my Toyos, even on my old F350 Diesel. They are heavy so your MPGs do drop a bit as stated above. I've tried KM2s and I just like the performance off road and the looks better of my Toyos. Mine are the 295/70/17
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Toyos definetly have the longevity. I had my old set for 5 years and sold them with a lot of tread left. My dad had his first set for 3 hunting seasons then three years of daily driving and road trips. I have heard they suck in snow
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of light

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
heard good things about all of the tires you've listed, i think it mainly comes down to brand preference and price. I do know that when i was looking at them, i remember the km2 being 6 or 7 lbs lighter than the toyos (which helps for mpg) but otherwise, theyre all good tires
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
I have the MT ATZ's and I can tell you in mud they are amazing.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Micky Thompson FTW! I love my Baja Claws! Ive put them through some shit and they are still kickin strong

Products Discussed in this Thread