Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Rubbing with 265/75/16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Marcoc has a spectacular aura aboutMarcoc has a spectacular aura about

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
Rubbing with 265/75/16

I recently installed the GY Duratracs in a 265/75/16 load C on my Tacoma. I have a 2.5" lift and the tires are mounted on 16"x8.5" Level 8 Tracker rims. I rub slightly on the front fenders way at the bottom closer to the front door where the mudflaps usually cover, but only in reverse and its kinda random. I can hear the lugs rub slightly on the plastic. What gives? I thought I had enough lift for this size tire. Is it my backspacing on my aftermarket rims? Again it's slightly but you can hear it. Good thing I didn't go larger in size. Should I worry about it? Hasn't happened going forward hopefully doesn't damage fender at flexing or stuffing while i am trail riding. Wanted to put mudflaps back in once I trimmed them but not sure if I can.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
You say you worry about the backspacing, but you don't mention what the backspacing is.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
DILIGAF
06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light06sr5prerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Name: luis
06sr5prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
im sure it because of the height 75. im sure its just rubbing very little on some of all the bs plastic down their. i hardly rub any with 285/75 16 just on full turns and reversing like you and when fully stuffed.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same size tires with no lift. I don't rub at all. You may want to check for some loose plastic or something that is getting in the way.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jarid
JRod4928's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoc View Post
sorry, 4.5" backspacing

It's your backspacing. The wheel wells weren't designed for tires to be pushed outward from the center of the truck at that diameter. More lift won't help you.

I had a similar problem. Both yours and my tires are 31.5" in diameter. Your backspacing/offset is almost equivalent to mine (18x9 with 5" backspacing). So I'm not surprised that you'd get some rubbing, like I did.

At this point, it's just something you'll have to get used to, or start trimming/removing mud flaps.

If it bothers you that much, you'll have to get new wheels with 5" or 5.25" backspacing. But be careful with tires wider than 265 as you may start rubbing the UCA.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
JRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRod4928 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

in your situation, new wheels really aren't necessary. just trim a bit.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
according to GY its actually 31.7". its very minor rubbing on plastic fender. I figured backspacing. they fill the wheel wells nice with just a slight poke out of fenders. The outer lugs of the duratracs are whats rubbing, bet if it was a less aggressive tire it wouldnt happen. mudflaps have been removed. probably take a Dremel to the lower 1 inch piece of plastic
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I have 265/75/16 AT tires with no lift on 16x8 4.5 bs wheels. I had to loose mudflaps and did not have to do any trimming. Had to use a hairdryer to heat up the end piece of the fender flair (where the last mud flap mounting hole is if I rememeber correctly) and bend it in a little bit so the tire clears everytime.

For everyday driving, I never rub even at full lock and in reverse. I don't offroad however.

Considering I'm on stock suspension, I would have thought yours would be fine, but worst case should be very minor modification like I did.

Edit: Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, load range D, 31.9" according to manufacturer website.

Edit2: Just noticed your wheels are 8.5" not 8" wide like mine are so...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
I have the same size tires with no lift. I don't rub at all. You may want to check for some loose plastic or something that is getting in the way.
Does depend on tires as well. Not all tires on that size rub. Duratracs are "beefier" than some other tires.

Before my lift my Duratracs in that size with that backspace wheel rubbed the mudflaps. Removed the fronts and it got rid of almost all rubbing but I still sporadically rubbed somewhere else. Since my 3" lift has been on I've never rubbed anywhere again.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Level 8 Trackers 16x8.5 & 265/75/16 Duratracs on my 2012 and had a similar issue.

Got the tires and wheels installed first and it rubbed when I turned all the way. I removed both of the front mudflaps and it stopped rubbing when turned. But if I turned and hit a slight bump (like going into my driveway) it would rub. When it did rub, it rubbed a large hump on the top of the mudflap.
I had the 5100 installed at 1.75 and no rub at all anymore (I still have the mudflaps removed)
It is pointless to keep the mudflaps on when the tire sticks out further than the mudflaps.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #12

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
I was hoping to install my mudflaps back on once I trimmed them but they may not be possible. the rubbing is very minor. probably put them on and see what happens. I havent been on the trails yet so i am not sure if they rub anywhere else at full flex or stuff.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I bought Husky mudflaps front and back hoping they will work as they don't buldge out so much interfering with turning tires. I test fitted them and they certainly do provide more clearance as the OEM ones, but just not enough in my case. Currently no front mud flaps on the truck.

My point is they may provide enough clearance for someone in similar situation who wants all mud flaps on. Certainly a better chance than with OEM's.

Also, while I had my OEM mudflaps on with these wheels and tires only for a few days, the rubbing almost made a hole into the driver side flap where the buldge is. A few weeks of driving would definitely be enough to make one. Just something to consider.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoc View Post
I recently installed the GY Duratracs in a 265/75/16 load C on my Tacoma. I have a 2.5" lift and the tires are mounted on 16"x8.5" Level 8 Tracker rims. I rub slightly on the front fenders way at the bottom closer to the front door where the mudflaps usually cover, but only in reverse and its kinda random. I can hear the lugs rub slightly on the plastic. What gives? I thought I had enough lift for this size tire. Is it my backspacing on my aftermarket rims? Again it's slightly but you can hear it. Good thing I didn't go larger in size. Should I worry about it? Hasn't happened going forward hopefully doesn't damage fender at flexing or stuffing while i am trail riding. Wanted to put mudflaps back in once I trimmed them but not sure if I can.
Lets see some pics of your truck.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Caster Caster Caster

Whats your caster?

Caster Caster Caster
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Caster Caster Caster

Whats your caster?

Caster Caster Caster
Exactly what I was thinking. With that lift, backspace and tire size you should clear no problem. Sounds like your alignment may need adjusting.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
BOOMSHAKALAKA
boardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud ofboardude has much to be proud of

Name: Bomb.com
boardude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod4928 View Post
It's your backspacing. The wheel wells weren't designed for tires to be pushed outward from the center of the truck at that diameter. More lift won't help you.
^^This. I have a 3" lift sitting on 265/75/16 w the Level 8 Gaurdians (4.5 bs) and I'm still rubbing in the same situation. Though the rubbing is very minor for me not to worry or bother w it

I haven't experienced any rubbing issues when wheeling too
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardude View Post
^^This. I have a 3" lift sitting on 265/75/16 w the Level 8 Gaurdians (4.5 bs) and I'm still rubbing in the same situation. Though the rubbing is very minor for me not to worry or bother w it
X2....but caster is also a big part.

I been wheeling with same sized tire (265/70/17) and same back set for over 30k with only minor rubbing in reverse at full lock and stuff. And that rubbing was on my mudflaps that would "rub off" in that situation
Old 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
X2....but caster is also a big part.

I been wheeling with same sized tire (265/70/17) and same back set for over 30k with only minor rubbing in reverse at full lock and stuff. And that rubbing was on my mudflaps that would "rub off" in that situation
Oh Definitely.

I had rubbing on one side and not the other, the difference? Caster is 1.7 on the right side, 2.1 on the left.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #20

Marcoc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Caster Caster Caster

Whats your caster?

Caster Caster Caster
I had one of the best shops in my area align the truck to OEM spec a few months back, right after the lift was installed. Would have to check the paperwork for exact numbers. The rubbing is very minor not going to destroy anything, just wanted to see if some others out there had the same issues with aggressive tires. tried to post a picture its telling me its invalid format, not really great at computer