Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG rugged terrains

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Banned
2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Thomas
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
BFG rugged terrains

Anyone have experience with the new BFG rugged terrain tires?

I'm sure they are smooth on highway and wear well

But how do they do offroad , ... Sand, mud, clay, rock crawling ...?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010TRD View Post
Anyone have experience with the new BFG rugged terrain tires?

I'm sure they are smooth on highway and wear well

But how do they do offroad , ... Sand, mud, clay, rock crawling ...?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-terrain.html

the only post i found with OR even mentioned

the other 6 threads I didnt see any offroad replies....

as for crawling, Id not attempt it.......odds are u will kiss the sidewall goodbye quickly

mud/clay..............odds are ur gunna get them caked as to be expected with an AT.....Muds have large voids for self cleaning, and are very soft
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
They are technically a highway tire. I have them. They don't do too well in muddy offroad conditions
Old 01-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Banned
2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed2010TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
My main use is hard clay and sand ... I have mudgrips for wet conditions

They appear that they would do good in sand ....?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
matadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shedmatadorCE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
matadorCE's Tacoma Gallery
I've got them but I don't do any kind of off-roading. I will say that they have soft sidewalls tough which I don't like, even compared to the stock Rugged Trails.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
those look strikingly similar in to the rugged trails. if their construction is as similar as the rest of the tire looks, you won't want them.

most ATs do very well in our sand. the key is more the size in this case. since it's not a wide lug gap mud terrain, you don't have to worry about them digging a hole in the sand. so the answer to "will they work" is in the size. unfortunately, clay and sand generally see different sizes excel. in the clay and sand that you and i see at least, you want a tall skinny for the clay, and a wider tire for our deep sand.

since your mud tires will dig you in deep if your not careful in a flace like ocala, i'd say if you get these, cater them to sand, meaning a wide size. then you can use the muds for the clay stuff......that is if you are set on these tires.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
just what BARTRD said..these tires are made to look rugged but are almost strictly a highway tire. They usually get around 55k at least if they are used for what they are intended for. If youre looking for an overall comfortable tire with real aggressive tred for off road and nice highway,i would say check out the Michelin AT/2 (more aggressive looking of these 2) or MS/2
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Why not look at BFG A/Ts? They are great on and off road.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
Banned
2010TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm open to any thing I can find on a budget ... Not pressed to buy ... So just looking into some CL deals .. For now , no way I'm paying tire shop prices
Last 4 sets of tires I've been thru we're found for cheap on CL
Old 01-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Treadright
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
+ another vote for Treadwright. I'm gonna get a 265/75 Warden from them to use as a spare. God forbid I get a flat tire and have to rely on the stock rugged fail spare on a trail.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #19

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the treadwrights are retreads. The idea made me nervous at first but I've been researching these tires for years and have only found a few negative experiences and tons positive.