Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Help with tire/wheel problem!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
surftaco220 is on a distinguished road
surftaco220's Tacoma Gallery
Help with tire/wheel problem!

I just got new rims and tires. i got 285/50/20 and 20in liquidmetal magmas put on and when i get up to about 50 mph my truck shakes like crazy. The wheels have already been balanced and alined. do they just need to be balanced again or is there another problem?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
it shakes from about 45mph and up and no i don't have a lift
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
just cuz there balanced dosent mean there right.

Check the balance, and most important make sure there on the vehicle correctly. Did you require hub rings on the install or are they lug centric?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
The entire truck shakes and so does the steering wheel. And yes i did notice it shakes a lot less when i take my foot off the gas or push the brake
Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
yeah i'm going to go back to the shop i had it done at and i'm going to let them drive it. Its really bad, im scared going 60 in it. So this problem can be fixed without having to get new rims?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Are the tires directional? Meaning they have an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction they have to turn.

Also just because they balanced them doesn't mean it was done correctly or you didn't throw a weight. I had this happen when I had mine balanced. They wobbled like crazy at 50mph after being balanced. They redid it & the shaking went away.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
yeah i think and hope its a balancing problem and not a damaged rim or tire. I just dont understand how the balancing can be that bad
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
yes the are directional tires
Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
yeah i cant make it tomorrow, but im going friday. I really hope that its just a balancing problem. The rims look great and i waited way to long for these rims only be on my truck for 2 days
Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
snowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of light

snowmansgarage's Tacoma Gallery
This sure sounds familiar! I've been trying help another w8n4mud resolve his issue that is similar to yours. Fill us in on all the details you can e.g. the shop you had them installed at, the style or model number of wheel, whether or not you have centering rings installed, what type of balancing the shop did...etc.

If the shop did not install centering rings on the wheels and are relying on the lug nuts to center the wheels, this is the first item to deal with! I cannot emphasize enough on how important these are. Even though they are oftentimes made of aluminum, UHMW or something similar, they are a vital part of the wheel!

Here's w8n4mud's post:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/25786-bfg-all-terrain-tire-265-70r17-out-round.html
Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
i dont have all the details now but ill get them up tomorrow. I bought and had the wheels put on at discount tire and they didn't mention anything about centering rings, i believe its just relying on the lugs. what do centering ring look like?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
snowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of lightsnowmansgarage is a glorious beacon of light

snowmansgarage's Tacoma Gallery
Not all Discount tires install centering rings, and in your case, they probably did not. Skim through the link to the post I provided and in there you will find some links to some websites that sell centering rings. When aftermarket wheels are made, they are machined with a large diameter hub bore to fit a large assortment of vehicles. The centering rings are an adapter that make that specific wheel fit a specific vehicle. Without getting into too much detail, when aftermarket wheels are installed with no centering rings it can cause vehicle wandering or pulling, vibrations and various speeds and so on.

When you go back on Friday, you need to put your foot down that they install these. But right now, do some reading so you understand the importance of them and their purpose. It might be a good idea to call them tomorrow and make sure they will have them when you go in on Friday to minimize how many trips you are making to Discount!