1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire choice and Lift kit

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by SillyMan, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    SillyMan

SillyMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sylvain
    Canmore
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Dbl Cab, long Box
    Geolander Tires Skid Plate
    Hello to all,

I am thinking of putting a 3" Skyjacker lift kit for my Tacoma (2012 TRD, Crew)

I would like to up in size from 265/65R17.

2 tire choices comes to mind.
    - Toyo Open Country M-T
    - Goodyear MT-R/Kevlar

Sizes: LT 285/70R17 or LT 305/70R17.

Would be put on a set of KMC XD Revolver rims.

What is recommended tire and size?

The tires would see a lot of highway mileage but I need the M/T for really muddy road (think clay) conditions.

What is your take on that. Other recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you
    Sylvain

2. Feb 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Welcome to TW. :canada:

Anyway, I'm no lift/tire expert, but since noone responded yet, I will try.

According to this thread, 285/70/17 is a popular tire size for a 3" lift. Apparently there may be minor rubbing and cutting involved once you step up from 265's, but I'm sure there are thousands of threads on this topic already on TW if you need more info.

3. Feb 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Sport2012

Sport2012 Thin Blue Line

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Tint, EGR In Channel visors, Access-Lorado tonneau, Tacoma bed mat, Plasti Dip Badges, Tailgate mod, Fog light anytime mod, Toytec (TTHA-CK) 3" lift kit w/height adjustable coilovers, 5100's w/Eibach coils, TSB AAL, LR UCA's, CB drop kit, Diff drop kit, XD spy's on 285/70/17 Duratrac's
    I'm also about to do a 3" lift myself. Should be here in a few days. Did tons of reading here and kryten is dead on. It appears for that size lift, the 285/70/17 is the way to go, with some minor rubbing / trimming. Anything bigger would need major trimming. Wait a few weeks and I'll let you know how mine works out. Im getting the 285/70/17, just make sure the back spacing ion the rim is at least 4.5. Good luck

4. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    SillyMan

SillyMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sylvain
    Canmore
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Dbl Cab, long Box
    Geolander Tires Skid Plate
    Thanks. Sounds like OME is what a lot of Owners are going for.

However, which makes more sense? Adding a leaf spring or a leaf pack. Let me know how that works out for you Sport2012.

What tires are you going for?

Thanks
    S

5. Feb 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Leaf pack is always better, but also costs more.

With aal you are just adding a leaf to a weak leafpack to start with.

6. Feb 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    Most people here will tell you to get the Goodyears. I have no experience with them, but I'm on my second set of Toyos. Last set for 5 years, and had probably 20,000 miles left on em. I've no had problems with them in the mud, great traction. They are heavy, and pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

7. Feb 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    Sport2012

Sport2012 Thin Blue Line

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Tint, EGR In Channel visors, Access-Lorado tonneau, Tacoma bed mat, Plasti Dip Badges, Tailgate mod, Fog light anytime mod, Toytec (TTHA-CK) 3" lift kit w/height adjustable coilovers, 5100's w/Eibach coils, TSB AAL, LR UCA's, CB drop kit, Diff drop kit, XD spy's on 285/70/17 Duratrac's
    Silly, I ordered the ToyTec 3" adjustable lift w/TSB AAL. I was torn between that and the OME. Everything that I've I read said both are great. But, everyone also said OME is "a little stiffer ride" which would be a plus for Off Roading. The AAL is going in because it came with the kit, but if needed I'll upgrade to new leaf packs in the future. (plus I didnt want to spend any more $$ now) I will never be going off road and want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible, this is my daily driver. And I didnt dig the yellow on OME. As for tires I went with 285/70/17 GY Duratrac's, only because I got a great deal on them from a Goodyear shop in my town and their reputation. The others I consider were: NittoTerra Grappler A/T, Cooper ST/Maxx, Fierce Attitude. Again, Im new and learning myself so we will see how this set up works out. Should be all together soon and I will be able to tell you if its good or if it sucks.

8. Feb 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    1. Lift has no effect on what tires rubs... it just means they rub the same under more compression. A 3" lift cannot run a larger tire that a factory suspension.

2. Toyo does not make a 285/70r17 MT. The closest would be a Nitto Trail MT which uses the same internal structure and different rubber styling on the identical core.

3. You wont be fitting a 305/70r17 on a 3" lift without rubbing, even after a cab mount chop.

9. Feb 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    I've had Toyo A/T for 35000 miles with plenty of tread left and love them! My next set will definitely be the Toyo M/T.

Products Discussed in

To Top