Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Lightweight Wheels?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Lightweight Wheels?

Is there a lightweight wheel for the 17" group? Lighter than stock? This seems like an easy way to save gas. No?

Now I'm curious as to how much the stock wheels weigh.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Konigs and SCS.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
Is there a lightweight wheel for the 17" group? Lighter than stock? This seems like an easy way to save gas. No?

Now I'm curious as to how much the stock wheels weigh.
The stock TRD Sport wheels, 17x7.5, weighs about 25.5lbs.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
I actually like that matte black Stealth6, but it appears to only be in 17x8.5". I was hoping for an exact OEM replacement since I don't want to have to buy new tires too.

Would be ~2lb savings too. I wonder what that translate into IRL performance.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
Fixed, thanks Chaz.
No problem, but to be fair the Konigs were about a half lb lighter than your 5s ha I almost got them anyway for that retro look though!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
I actually like that matte black Stealth6, but it appears to only be in 17x8.5". I was hoping for an exact OEM replacement since I don't want to have to buy new tires too.

Would be ~2lb savings too. I wonder what that translate into IRL performance.
If your stock tires are 265/65/17, they're approved for an 8.5" wheel. You don't necessary to have to upsize right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
No problem, but to be fair the Konigs were about a half lb lighter than your 5s ha I almost got them anyway for that retro look though!
You can go wrong with either wheel. Both are lightweight and within a few ounces of each other. Your truck looks great!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
snipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the rough
snipes285's Tacoma Gallery
Stealth 6

I was also looking to save some weight on a new set of rims. I wanted to keep my winter tires on the stock rims and mount the OEM rubber on something nicer. I purchased a set of SCS Stealth 6 rims along with some Mcgard spline lug nuts, both in gloss black.
Both tires are stock size (265/65R17)
The difference in weight with the SCS set-up is a reduction of 5.4lbs per wheel!
I am VERY happy with the look and the way they feel so far. I know the OEM rubber sucks but, getting the rear to spin on acceleration and the way the truck accelerates now puts a big smile on my face.
These rims also stick out further than stock, I believe by 2.2 inches according to Vin at SCS. I believe this also contributes to how planted the truck feels in aggressive cornering now!
I'll be watching my mileage over the next few fill ups, I would expect it should be better as well...if I can control the jack rabbit starts.....

Vin was awesome. He replied to all my email questions, got the shipment on the way asap and provided absolutely EXCELLENT customer service!!
Cheers!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
The 17x8" Konig Countersteer Type X is under 21lbs per wheel, and works great with stock tires (265/65R17) or larger tires. The 8" wheel width won't make your stock tires looked stretched out as would happen with a wider wheel.

Available in anthracite light gunmetal, matte black or matte bronze.

http://www.fnwheels.com/new-products...rsteer-type-x/
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 16" countersteers better because of the curved profile spokes.
I'm hoping to get me some 16" countersteer off roads soon myself, wrapped with duratracs.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
PARTS HOARDER
JdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdMeF9SiR2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JdMeF9SiR2's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to JdMeF9SiR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
I like the 16" countersteers better because of the curved profile spokes.
I'm hoping to get me some 16" countersteer off roads soon myself, wrapped with duratracs.
PM sent to you.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
jmandeville is on a distinguished road
Army: AIt PLT SGT
Name: Justin
jmandeville's Tacoma Gallery
@ SNIPES285 I was wondering if you had any numbers for miles per gallon now that you have had your wheels for awhile? I'm looking to get either one of these wheels and wondering how they will help my milage.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #13

I can tell you I went from heavy wheels and 28" tires to Light wheels and 31.7" tires that were significantly wider and slightly more aggressive tread and didn't lose any mpg (I also did some exhaust mods in there so not exactly definitive, plus I have a much weaker engine than you so the help is more drastic).
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
I plan on doing a similar wheel tire setup as what you have. Just curious if the countersteers are worth the extra money.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
snipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the roughsnipes285 is a jewel in the rough
snipes285's Tacoma Gallery
Going from my stock rims (17") with winter tires to the SCS Stealth rims and the OEM rubber, I lost a total of 5.4 lbs per wheel.
Acceleration feels more agressive as does the handling. On my first tank of gas with these, my milage was the same but, I was accelerating from lights and passing much harder than I would normally do (having some fun!).
My last fill up, however, was the best milage I've seen with the truck so far.
I normally see a 21.5 m/gal, last fill up showed 23 m/gal. I know there could be a number of factors contributing to milage but, it was the best I have seen.

I seriously considered the Countersteer's (even lighter). Both companies had great service and would respond all emails and were very helpful, I believe they both have a quality product. The Countersteers were more expensive but, it really came down to style of wheel. I preferred the look of the Stealths.
You cant go wrong either way.
Attached Thumbnails
Lightweight Wheels?-img_1193.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
I'm pretty torn between the f5's and countersteers. If they were the same price I would probably go countersteers. But for the price of them I can get the f5's and a CAI.