1.5" Wheel adapter/spacer advice?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
strength1046 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Dennis
strength1046's Tacoma Gallery
1.5" Wheel adapter/spacer advice?

I'm finally honored to say that today I am registered as a TacomaWorld member. I am excited to meet, learn and apply techniques and ideas that all of you have to offer.

I had the idea of running larger tires 285/75/16 on my 2001 pre-runner taco. I have posted pictures of the aluminum billet spacers that I would like to attempt to use. But after constant reading, I don't like the idea of a 1" inch over hang and that my tires will just dangle without center support from the hub, however I feel like I'm in it for the long haul seeming that I bought the tires, and spacers.

I have uploaded the photos. So let me know if this application seems safe at all? If any of you have done it and gotten away with it for just street riding? Or if any hub/stud/bearing/CV joint failures have occurred with your experience. So far I am more on the side of just selling my tires and wheel spacers to some other poor optimistic soul.

I put them on last night and its just sitting there while I wait in fear. I suppose this is why I actually registered on TacomaWorld. To actually talk to members who know what they're doing. Anyways, soon to be firefighter here in SoCal and will appreciate all the supporting/ bashing debates on 1.5" spacers with a 1" overhang. Thanks.

Dennis

Attached Thumbnails
1.5" Wheel adapter/spacer advice?-img_20130209_214705.jpg   1.5" Wheel adapter/spacer advice?-img_20130209_214742.jpg   1.5" Wheel adapter/spacer advice?-img_1779.jpg  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
you should have gotten hub centric....but you will be 100% fine!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, welcome to the T-Dub.
To answer your question, lug centric spacers(you have) are not as good as hub centric spacers. Many have reported vibrations with the lug centric spacers. Since you are already dedicated to them and the rims, go ahead and run them. What you can do is find some hub centric spacers that you like so that you can at least stay committed to your wheels, and replace the lug centric ones, or replace both with a different set of rims with enough back spacing to clear your larger tires. Here are some good wheel spacers http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72 , you will need 2 sets for all four wheels. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
1YOTA6
1YOTA6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
1YOTA6's Tacoma Gallery
i dont know if i missed something here but whats the difference between hub centric and stud centric as a spacer.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YOTA6 View Post
i dont know if i missed something here but whats the difference between hub centric and stud centric as a spacer.
Hub centric is the way to go with your wheels. If you have factory rims on now, they are hub centric, meaning the center of your wheel slides on the hub snugly, centering your rim to the drive line, and not resting on the lugs. Lug centric is more of a universal thing, that the rim or spacer will rest on the lugs rather than the hub. You will expirience more vibration issues with lug centric than hub centric, because you may run the chance of not having the rim or spacer centered to the drive line. Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
1YOTA6
1YOTA6 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
1YOTA6's Tacoma Gallery
aaah ok i see what your talking about on the hub centric. but as for stud centric your saying though that its more likely or possible to get vibration with a lug centric spacer that "should" center the wheel when you tighten the lugs down and rely on the tapered edge of the lug nut to center the wheel properly
Old 04-15-2013, 05:33 AM   #7

Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1YOTA6 View Post
aaah ok i see what your talking about on the hub centric. but as for stud centric your saying though that its more likely or possible to get vibration with a lug centric spacer that "should" center the wheel when you tighten the lugs down and rely on the tapered edge of the lug nut to center the wheel properly
Yup, there is a possibility of the lugs and studs being off by just a little bit to cause a nucense vibration.