1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1.5" Wheel adapter/spacer advice?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by strength1046, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Feb 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
    strength1046

strength1046 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Prerunner 2.4
    2.5" Front level kit 1.5" Aluminum Wheel Spacers Leer Camper Shell 285/75/16 Pro Comp tires Pyle PLDN72BT DIN 7"
    I'm finally honored to say that today I am registered as a TacomaWorld member. I am excited to meet, learn and apply techniques and ideas that all of you have to offer.

I had the idea of running larger tires 285/75/16 on my 2001 pre-runner taco. I have posted pictures of the aluminum billet spacers that I would like to attempt to use. But after constant reading, I don't like the idea of a 1" inch over hang and that my tires will just dangle without center[SIZE=3] support from the hub, however I [SIZE=3]feel like I[SIZE=3]'[SIZE=3]m in it for the long haul seeming that I bought the tires, and spacers.

[SIZE=3]I[SIZE=3] have uploaded the photos. So let me know if this application seems safe at all? [SIZE=3]If any o[SIZE=3]f you have done it and gotten away with it for just street riding? Or if any hub/stud/bearing[SIZE=3]/CV joint [SIZE=3]failures have occurred with your experience. [SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]So far I am more on the side of just selling my tires and wheel spacers to some other [SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3][SIZE=3]poo[SIZE=3]r [/SIZE][/SIZE]optimistic [SIZE=3][SIZE=3]soul.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]
    I put them on last night and its just sitting there while I wait in fear. I suppose thi[SIZE=3]s [SIZE=3]is why I actually registered on Tacoma[SIZE=3]World. To actually talk to members who know what they're doing. [SIZE=3]Anyways[SIZE=3], [SIZE=3]soon to be firefighter here[SIZE=3] in [SIZE=3]SoC[/SIZE]al and will appreciate all the supporting[SIZE=3]/ bashing debates on 1.5[SIZE=3]" spacers with a 1" [SIZE=3]overhang. Thanks.

[SIZE=3]Dennis

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

IMG_20130209_214705.jpg
    IMG_20130209_214742.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg

2. Feb 10, 2013 at 12:25 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    you should have gotten hub centric....but you will be 100% fine!

3. Feb 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Hey, welcome to the T-Dub.
    To answer your question, lug centric spacers(you have) are not as good as hub centric spacers. Many have reported vibrations with the lug centric spacers. Since you are already dedicated to them and the rims, go ahead and run them. What you can do is find some hub centric spacers that you like so that you can at least stay committed to your wheels, and replace the lug centric ones, or replace both with a different set of rims with enough back spacing to clear your larger tires. Here are some good wheel spacers , you will need 2 sets for all four wheels. Good luck.

4. Apr 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    1YOTA6

1YOTA6 1YOTA6

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    11 Db cab LongBed Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    ReadyLift 2.75 leveling lift, 1.5inch spider trax wheel spacers, Plasti-Dip wheels and front grill, Under carriage reverse spot lights, OTTRA Switches, wether tech floor mats, Toyo Open Country AT 285-70r17, on the waiting list for HomerTaco Grill :)
    i dont know if i missed something here but whats the difference between hub centric and stud centric as a spacer.

5. Apr 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Hub centric is the way to go with your wheels. If you have factory rims on now, they are hub centric, meaning the center of your wheel slides on the hub snugly, centering your rim to the drive line, and not resting on the lugs. Lug centric is more of a universal thing, that the rim or spacer will rest on the lugs rather than the hub. You will expirience more vibration issues with lug centric than hub centric, because you may run the chance of not having the rim or spacer centered to the drive line. Hope this makes sense.

6. Apr 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    1YOTA6

1YOTA6 1YOTA6

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    11 Db cab LongBed Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    ReadyLift 2.75 leveling lift, 1.5inch spider trax wheel spacers, Plasti-Dip wheels and front grill, Under carriage reverse spot lights, OTTRA Switches, wether tech floor mats, Toyo Open Country AT 285-70r17, on the waiting list for HomerTaco Grill :)
    aaah ok i see what your talking about on the hub centric. but as for stud centric your saying though that its more likely or possible to get vibration with a lug centric spacer that "should" center the wheel when you tighten the lugs down and rely on the tapered edge of the lug nut to center the wheel properly

7. Apr 15, 2013 at 5:33 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Yup, there is a possibility of the lugs and studs being off by just a little bit to cause a nucense vibration.

Products Discussed in

To Top