Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Are 285's A Huge Tire and A Huge Mistake

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #21
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLynn44 View Post
I Jump my truck all the time i have no issues if your putting them on a stock vehicle then of course your going to rub and they wont fit he stated he had a leveling kit therefore there should be no issue
You jump a truck with a spacer lift? .

here is a video you can hear the tire hitting the top of the wheel well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoELT...mTkiII0Yr_JaxQ
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #22
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Not to hijack your thread but I'm wanting to run 285's something fierce, what I've got is 5100's installed set at 1.75 in the front. My wheel's are dick cepek Dc-1 and I have no clue on what the back spacing offset stuff like is. I know they are 16's really only thing I'm worried about is hitting the UCA's I don't really offroad at all but I got my tax return's back and trying to get some new tires this weekend. Any suggestions? Or should I just play it safe and go with the 265/75/16 duratrac's like I had planned.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #23
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTRD View Post
Not to hijack your thread but I'm wanting to run 285's something fierce, what I've got is 5100's installed set at 1.75 in the front. My wheel's are dick cepek Dc-1 and I have no clue on what the back spacing offset stuff like is. I know they are 16's really only thing I'm worried about is hitting the UCA's I don't really offroad at all but I got my tax return's back and trying to get some new tires this weekend. Any suggestions? Or should I just play it safe and go with the 265/75/16 duratrac's like I had planned.
You can always run a set of spacers if the tire hits the upper.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #24
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABurnout View Post
I thought about that but the wheels already stick out abit (I'm assuming they are 16x8) I didn't wanna go so wide it looks ridiculous
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Thank you! Trying to go back down to 285s actually (long story...)

Best of luck with your new wheels and tires, or rather enjoy!
i'll take those 315's and swap my BFG AT 285's
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #26
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do your UCA's smash into your fender wells?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
SaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud of

Name: Sara Lynn
SaraLynn44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You jump a truck with a spacer lift? .

here is a video you can hear the tire hitting the top of the wheel well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoELT...mTkiII0Yr_JaxQ

Egh dont judge me lol i know how to drive only thing to happen so far is my grille falling out no other damage.... But yes you can jump with a spacer lift not recommended obviously thats why im going to spindles and eventually a long travel but back on subject 285's have no problem fitting
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I Jump my truck all the time i have no issues if your putting them on a stock vehicle then of course your going to rub and they wont fit he stated he had a leveling kit therefore there should be no issue
I really hope you put some money into your suspension... jumping a stock truck just seems like a great way to destroy a perfectly good vehicle.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #29
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
James 2.0
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
SaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I really hope you put some money into your suspension... jumping a stock truck just seems like a great way to destroy a perfectly good vehicle.

Negative im not jumping 10 or 20 feet in the freakin air mostly over whoops and dunes im not slow down to roll over it thats no fun... and my truck is perfectly fine its all in how you drive...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #31
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
285s ain't shit!
X2
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #32
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Negative im not jumping 10 or 20 feet in the freakin air mostly over whoops and dunes im not slow down to roll over it thats no fun... and my truck is perfectly fine its all in how you drive...
No offense but if you really believed that it's all in how you drive then you wouldn't be upgrading to spindles... How you drive is important but over driving what your suspension can handle usually doesn't end well. Power to ya that it's working out for you so far, you're braver with your truck that I would be.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
No offense but if you really believed that it's all in how you drive then you wouldn't be upgrading to spindles... How you drive is important but over driving what your suspension can handle usually doesn't end well. Power to ya that it's working out for you so far, you're braver with your truck that I would be.
Im upgrading to spindles cause i dont trust the spacers... those spacers were temporary so i could fit my 285's they just ended up being on my truck a lot longer than i anticipated... and it is in how you drive its all about throttle control and knowing what your vehicle is able to handle im not stupid when it comes to that stuff... I dont go out there and thrash it around but im not gunna be boring cause im afraid to brake a few things whats the point of having a truck then..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #34
Sconnie
mudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasdad11 View Post
^^^this. runnin' 285's with a -12 offset, which only required minimal trimming of the oem wheelwells and shedding the oem mudflaps (since replaced with custom flaps for winter-purposes). no cabmount-chop required, as i do not offroad.
How do you like those jesters? im thinking about getting set?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
^ With an ARB bumper?
Does having an ARB affect the equation much?

I appreciate everyone's input. Since the 285 are ordered, we'll try 'em out and see how it goes. After having them mounted, I'll run it through the paces and if basic problems occur while driving then I'll have the shop remedy the problem somehow. I'm not really interested in rubbing or hitting the wheel well when doing standard driving or mild offroading. The shop has made many mistakes aside from this one and I'm sure they will switch me out to 265 if things aren't working. I don't plan to drive off road fast and I don't rock crawl. I do a lot of driving on dirt forest service roads that have many pot holes and water bars, but I'm using the truck for wood cutting and hunting primarily. Thanks to everyone for the input you all are a very great resource, wish I new about all of this before this point. I'll post pics on my build thread once whatever happens with the tires happens. Thanks again, I would respond individually to the recommendations some of you gave, my forum skills are a little limited at this point.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Do your UCA's smash into your fender wells?
Nope just the tire...

I am going to do the boot streach mod soon and ack the coilovers up a lot more. See if I can't prevent this...
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #37
No Rangers Here is on a distinguished road

Army: Apache helicopter repairman 15R
Name: jordan
No Rangers Here's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i do the same thing it is just on the way home i don't slow down i catch air i get ya thats why i am saving up for when it does break haha i know how i drive
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Workman finds it amusing that so many people on the internet think they are such bad ass drivers.

Workman pulled a stint in the Mohave desert for a few years, and has jumped his share, and his friends share of vehicles in the desert...cars, trucks, SUV's, prerunners, and 4x4's

NO way in hell would Workman jump a "prerunner" Tacoma in its stock form, it is in ABSOLUTELY no way built to do that off the shelf. Especially with some cheap spacer lift! Workman has witnessed and taken part in the destruction of quite a few stock vehicles jumping them over berms, ditches, dunes and tabletops. Granted all these vehicles were older, and not worth anything near what a 2nd Gen Taco is worth.

Biggest jump Workman ever did was with his buddy driving a 1978 Jeep pickup that was an extremely built prerunner, an actual prerunner. Got about 15 feet off the ground and cleared 60ft after we walked it out. That guy definitely did not know how to drive either.

Workman does not claim to be a good driver, he just uses his head when it comes to destroying a 20K pickup not meant to be jumped. Have fun dumping money into your truck after you destroy something, cause its gonna happen.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #39
I have everything gusseted except engine mounts and cam tabs and coil bucket and have yet to jump my truck. Lol
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #40
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
I have everything gusseted except engine mounts and can tabs an have yet to jump my truck. Lol
Good on ya! This is taking this thread way of topic but Workman finds it hilarious that Toyota has a stock truck with a "prerunner" badge. Correct Workman if he is wrong, but isn't the prerunner package just a 2wd with a 4wd stance? What is even remotely prerunner about these stock Tacos? Regardless, anyone who hangs out in the desert long enough should know the difference between a true prerunner, and their nice Taco with a prerunner plastic badge!

Possibly they have hung out in the desert too long and now see their truck as a jumping machine, the heat gets to ya down their But, guess its OK cause they are extremely good drivers