Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Are 285's A Huge Tire and A Huge Mistake

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #41
SaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud of

Name: Sara Lynn
SaraLynn44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Good on ya! This is taking this thread way of topic but Workman finds it hilarious that Toyota has a stock truck with a "prerunner" badge. Correct Workman if he is wrong, but isn't the prerunner package just a 2wd with a 4wd stance? What is even remotely prerunner about these stock Tacos? Regardless, anyone who hangs out in the desert long enough should know the difference between a true prerunner, and their nice Taco with a prerunner plastic badge!

Possibly they have hung out in the desert too long and now see their truck as a jumping machine, the heat gets to ya down their But, guess its OK cause they are extremely good drivers

For one why are you talking in third person and 2 its my truck i pay for it i can jump it if i want thats my choice you dont think i can drive by all means we can test that out for ya... And a prerunner has a electronic diff locker so you might want to learn your facts before you try and talk shit but thanks for your un wanted input on how we should drive our vehicles we pay for... Back to topic i was simply stating that i own a vehicle with piece of shit spacers that fits 285's just fine with no rubbing even while going off a dune or over whoops i however am upgrading to spindles for my own personal preference because i do not like spacers.... Goodluck op hope you get it figured out
Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #42
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Workman always types in 3rd person, workman drives many people crazy, workman simply says, "deal with it".
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #43
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP. I don't think you'll have any issues aside from rubbing a little plastic. With 285s, stock alloys, and spacers, I only rubbed plastic. Even at Moab doing stupid shit stuffing hard every which way. I never rubbed the cab mount. Some do but I didn't. At any rate that's all easy to fix without getting too crazy. I don't think you'll hit the top of the wheel well either. I barely hit it with 35s on whoops.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #44
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLynn44 View Post
For one why are you talking in third person and 2 its my truck i pay for it i can jump it if i want thats my choice you dont think i can drive by all means we can test that out for ya... And a prerunner has a electronic diff locker so you might want to learn your facts before you try and talk shit
Workman was in no means trying to talk shit about jumping a newish, pretty little tacoma. It is your truck and you can 100% treat it the way you like. After all, when negative results come from jumping your stock truck, you will be the only one who has to pay for it, financially or hopefully not medically.

An electronic rear diff!!!!???? An electronic rear diffff!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, Workman was aware that the prerunner package came with this option, which is a useful tool for light offroading and when you get stuck. It in absolutely NO WAY makes the truck an actual prerunner though. You live in the desert right? Go check out a prerunner event sometime, you will have a much better understanding of how these trucks can take air and land smoothly without exploding parts....most of the time. You will also notice all the huge shocks, especially the one coming out the the bed area. Looks a little different, and way more expensive than any stock truck.

Yeah, people who jump their trucks put a ton of time and money into making them capable to do that. People who jump stock trucks are just waiting for negative results. Its a hell of a lot more fun to jump a truck that cost less than a grand, if not free, IWO.

Workman means no offense to those who jump their stock Tacos. Workman loves mashing a vehicle now and then, and he wishes he could do it with a 20K pickup.....that would be AWESOME!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #45
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For one why are you talking in third person and 2 its my truck i pay for it i can jump it if i want thats my choice you dont think i can drive by all means we can test that out for ya... And a prerunner has a electronic diff locker so you might want to learn your facts before you try and talk shit but thanks for your un wanted input on how we should drive our vehicles we pay for... Back to topic i was simply stating that i own a vehicle with piece of shit spacers that fits 285's just fine with no rubbing even while going off a dune or over whoops i however am upgrading to spindles for my own personal preference because i do not like spacers.... Goodluck op hope you get it figured out
Not all pre-runners have the electronic locking differential, only those with the TRD Off Road package. The prerunner is nothing more than a 2wd Tacoma with the same suspension components as a 4wd Tacoma. The other goodies come with the SR5, TRD Sport or TRD Off Road packages.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I have absolutely no rub with BIG 285/70r17 (all 285/70r17 are slightly different sizes) and with all types of offroading. It took a CMC, 3.5 deg caster, and 4 rounds of plastic cutting up front. Took an axle relocate plate and ubolt flip kit for the rear with very minor plastic trimming where plastic was distorted from ripping my rear fender plastic off.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #47
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I as well hope to ditch the POS spacers and weak suspension parts at some point. But are trucks can still look good until we get around to the wanted mods. Hope mine works out like yours.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #48
SaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workman View Post
Workman was in no means trying to talk shit about jumping a newish, pretty little tacoma. It is your truck and you can 100% treat it the way you like. After all, when negative results come from jumping your stock truck, you will be the only one who has to pay for it, financially or hopefully not medically.

An electronic rear diff!!!!???? An electronic rear diffff!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, Workman was aware that the prerunner package came with this option, which is a useful tool for light offroading and when you get stuck. It in absolutely NO WAY makes the truck an actual prerunner though. You live in the desert right? Go check out a prerunner event sometime, you will have a much better understanding of how these trucks can take air and land smoothly without exploding parts....most of the time. You will also notice all the huge shocks, especially the one coming out the the bed area. Looks a little different, and way more expensive than any stock truck.

Yeah, people who jump their trucks put a ton of time and money into making them capable to do that. People who jump stock trucks are just waiting for negative results. Its a hell of a lot more fun to jump a truck that cost less than a grand, if not free, IWO.

Workman means no offense to those who jump their stock Tacos. Workman loves mashing a vehicle now and then, and he wishes he could do it with a 20K pickup.....that would be AWESOME!

I never said it made my truck a prerunner and honestly have no idea wtf your talking about because i never said that nor have I ever said I live in the desert so your obviously high and making shit up as you go.... I know exactly what a prerunner is because thats what I am turning mine into eventually it would be called long travel suspension thats what makes a truck a prerunner not a stupid badge.... So thanks for trying to school me but just because i have a vagina doesnt mean im an idiot i probably know more than you do about a lot of shit wanna school me on mechanics too??? cause you'd loose at that also...nice try buddy figure out your facts first and lay off the drugs cause you have no idea wtf your talking about.... btw Fresno California is not the desert nor the beach or mountains get a map
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryaddict View Post
I as well hope to ditch the POS spacers and weak suspension parts at some point. But are trucks can still look good until we get around to the wanted mods. Hope mine works out like yours.
Sorry about hijacking your thread im not good at keeping my mouth shut to idiots I recommend you get spindles for the price and ride its a better choice than the spacers... But spacers do add a better look to your truck for the time being... Have you got your tire situation all figured out yet?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
There is no problem running wheel spacers and mobbing dez, most of the long travel guys run spacers, I run spacers and am pretty hard on my truck!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #51
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Wow this got real. Looks like the OP already made his mind up.

My truck 2007 TRD OR 4X4
Icon Mid Travel
total Chaos Arms
Method 16" Double standards
MTR 285/75R16 tires
Super bumps

Rubs top of fender and full bump
Cab mount chop and lots of plastic cutting done.

Theres whats happen in my truck. I guess I am the odd man out with rubbing issues.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #52
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Oh you rub your fender not your actual fender well!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #53
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Oh you rub your fender not your actual fender well!
I will get some pics this weekend. Maybe some one can help me fix this so I can bomb with the LT guys a little more.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #54
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Sorry about hijacking your thread im not good at keeping my mouth shut to idiots I recommend you get spindles for the price and ride its a better choice than the spacers... But spacers do add a better look to your truck for the time being... Have you got your tire situation all figured out yet?
No prob hijacking it's been fun reading the banter. The wheels and tires will be put on Saturday, we'll see what happens.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
I have absolutely no rub with BIG 285/70r17 (all 285/70r17 are slightly different sizes) and with all types of offroading. It took a CMC, 3.5 deg caster, and 4 rounds of plastic cutting up front. Took an axle relocate plate and ubolt flip kit for the rear with very minor plastic trimming where plastic was distorted from ripping my rear fender plastic off.
That's comforting to hear DevL, thanks for the info.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
To the OP. I don't think you'll have any issues aside from rubbing a little plastic. With 285s, stock alloys, and spacers, I only rubbed plastic. Even at Moab doing stupid shit stuffing hard every which way. I never rubbed the cab mount. Some do but I didn't. At any rate that's all easy to fix without getting too crazy. I don't think you'll hit the top of the wheel well either. I barely hit it with 35s on whoops.
Thanks maxamillion hopefully it works and my truck looks at least 1/4 as cool as yours.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #57
Workman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWorkman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Workman's Tacoma Gallery
Workman apologizes for coming off like an asshole.

Workman does not use drugs, and he also does not drink anymore. Almost 2 years of sobriety!

The comments were not directed at you because you are a female. They were directed towards anyone who thinks they can jump stock trucks without repercussions. Workman does not give a shit if anyone destroys their personal belongings, he was only trying to suggest its not a great idea to do so.

I am sure that you are a better driver, mechanic, and possibly just a better person than Workman. Workman does not live his life with concerns about who is better at what. Its like talking about how good you are at snowboarding in the dead of summer, then not wanting to go with Workman on a deep pow day in March to show your skills. Talking about how good you are at something on the internet is the same thing IWO. Workman prefers to show his talents in person.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #58

Holy heck, had the new wheels and tires put on today. They are crazy awesome. The 285/75/16 fit perfect without any rubbing or need to trim. It's dark now, but I'll throw up some pics tomorrow. Thanks to all who encouraged me to go for it! My midlife crisis is now complete...on the other hand maybe I need a nice new gold chain and a spray on tan.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #59
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Find a big ditch that will fully compress your suspension. Make sure the front bump is touching. Turn wheel lock to lock looking at the rear of front fenders every 10 degrees. Take pics... cause without trimming it WILL rub.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Find a big ditch that will fully compress your suspension. Make sure the front bump is touching. Turn wheel lock to lock looking at the rear of front fenders every 10 degrees. Take pics... cause without trimming it WILL rub.
I'll do that soon Devl, I'll have to wait a few days, cause my wife stole my truck and went on a road trip with my daughter. I must love her or something...normally this would be grounds for divorce.