Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Are 285's A Huge Tire and A Huge Mistake

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Are 285's A Huge Tire and A Huge Mistake

I'll try to make a long story short. I have a 2009 DCSB TRD 4x4. Wanting a little lift, went with a leveling kit. Then realized the truck looked a little weird with stock tires (265/70/16). Decided to buy new wheels and tires and fill up some wheel well. After reading many posts on Tacomworld 265/75/16 sounded like the safest option. Some folks have been running 285/70/17 with "little" trimming. Went to a shop weeks ago and was told that the Duratrac didn't come in a 265/75/16 at that time, I think they do now. However, the salesman said that they have installed 285/70/17 on quite a few tacos with no problems. Well needless to say, they didn't fit, especially because the offset/backspacing made the wheel hit on the UCA. Didn't even sound like they could get them to bolt on (Fuel Boosts). After driving 100 miles to the shop, I was stunned. The salesperson did more checking and calling and let me know that a 285/75/16 on a 16x8 Fuel Boost with proper offset would work or they would do what it takes to make it work. At this point I feel a morbid curiosity to find out what happens. Am I just being dumb standing here waiting for a train wreck, which is my truck, to take place. Or should I quit worrying because it will work out and look decent in the end?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Ummm... long as you have the proper backspacing 285s should fit pretty easy, especially if you only street it. You may have to clearance a little plastic and maybe the cab mount but that's all pretty non-invasive stuff
Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
ivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shedivoryaddict is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ivoryaddict's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Ummm... long as you have the proper backspacing 285s should fit pretty easy, especially if you only street it. You may have to clearance a little plastic and maybe the cab mount but that's all pretty non-invasive stuff
Thanks for the positive input maxamillion, that is reassuring. Nice build by the way.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thank you! Trying to go back down to 285s actually (long story...)

Best of luck with your new wheels and tires, or rather enjoy!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Sloweburn is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Sloweburn's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285/75/16 BFG All Terrains on mine, using stock rims. They rubbed the UCAs a little bit on hard turns. I put on 1.25" Spidertrax spacers for now, until I get new rims.

There is a bit of rubbing on my mudguards when I back up and turn hard. I drilled a hole through the inside of the mudguard and tie-wrapped it back to the body mount to stop it.

Sometimes it touches the front fender liner when off-roading, but I'll be cutting that back once I put the off-road front bumper on - haven't bothered to trim the fender liner at this point.

All that being said, you can just put on spacers until you're ready for new rims with less backspacing - they're about $100 a pair...
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
You shouldnt need to cab mount chop with 285s. unless your offset is very low. Not familiar with those wheels but imo 0 offset is perfect. Maybe slight trimming or bending of the plastic.
Definitely go with 285's over 265's, especially since you have a winch bumper.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryaddict View Post
The salesperson did more checking and calling and let me know that a 285/75/16 on a 16x8 Fuel Boost with proper offset would work or they would do what it takes to make it work.
http://www.fueloffroad.com/specs.cfm?id=177
The wheel P/N that would fit is D53416808345, 16x8" with 108mm centerbore and 1mm offset (assuming you want the black finish).

285/75/16 is a 33" tire. You would need to remove the mudflap, trim away the portion of the fender flare that wraps around the bottom, and do a cab mount shop. The last one requires cutting away metal in your truck's frame and welding in a closeout piece: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-chop-tut.html
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Method Double Standards with 285 MTR's. Icon Extended length coil overs with total chaos arms. Did the cab mount chop. Cut a bunch of fender flair away. And hammered the pinch weld. Still when I hit good sized bumps at speed I hit the tire in to the wheel well. Raised it up a little still happens. So next is spacing down the super bumps. So be aware. You may not rub on the street or rock crawling but if you drive fast off road you might still have trouble.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
^Then get fiberglass fenders. Slippery slope, as more than one TW member have said.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
If your wheel offset isnt too crazy and caster is 2* or more, it shouldnt be that much of a problem with 285's. Assuming youre atleast 2.5" lift. Ran both my 2nd gens with 5100s and trimmed the front flare a little and no mud flaps. Ran it like that for a while, fairly easy and it did get wheeled at time. It did rub slightly on full stuff/lock.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
^Then get fiberglass fenders. Slippery slope, as more than one TW member have said.
Trying to avoid that step. But if some popped up local I would grab them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost JuNkY View Post
If your wheel offset isnt too crazy and caster is 2* or more, it shouldnt be that much of a problem with 285's. Assuming youre atleast 2.5" lift. Ran both my 2nd gens with 5100s and trimmed the front flare a little and no mud flaps. Ran it like that for a while, fairly easy and it did get wheeled at time. It did rub slightly on full stuff/lock.
Like i said its easy when your going slow or just on the road. Hammer some fast rough roads and its a big deal to slam the fender at 50....

Honestly I regret 285's I love the look but the abuse the truck is taking from the tires is more then I fell comfortable with.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #13

285s ain't shit!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
SaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud of

Name: Sara Lynn
SaraLynn44's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285/70R17 with Fuel Boost I had no issue getting them to fit. My Trail grapplers rub a bit more then my Terra Grapplers but thats simply because they are a mud tire with more tread. My Fuel Boost are 17x9 with a 4.5 backspacing thats the norm when you buy 17's anyways. I dont understand why they said they were rubbing unless they ordered you 17x12 which is just retarded on a tacoma with a leveling kit.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 285's
Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
No,no
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLynn44 View Post
I have 285/70R17 with Fuel Boost I had no issue getting them to fit. My Trail grapplers rub a bit more then my Terra Grapplers but thats simply because they are a mud tire with more tread. My Fuel Boost are 17x9 with a 4.5 backspacing thats the norm when you buy 17's anyways. I dont understand why they said they were rubbing unless they ordered you 17x12 which is just retarded on a tacoma with a leveling kit.
The issue for me is not driving around town or crawling, its high speed stuff. Its hard to keep a 285 from hitting stuff at speed.

But yes if your goal is to have the cool look and you don't do any fast off road stuff you will be fine.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoryaddict View Post
Wanting a little lift, went with a leveling kit.
^ With an ARB bumper?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
SaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud ofSaraLynn44 has much to be proud of

Name: Sara Lynn
SaraLynn44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABurnout View Post
The issue for me is not driving around town or crawling, its high speed stuff. Its hard to keep a 285 from hitting stuff at speed.

But yes if your goal is to have the cool look and you don't do any fast off road stuff you will be fine.
I Jump my truck all the time i have no issues if your putting them on a stock vehicle then of course your going to rub and they wont fit he stated he had a leveling kit therefore there should be no issue