1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can a soft front suspension cause wear on the outside of the front tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by pidro_el_pirata, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Feb 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can a soft front suspension cause wear on the outside of the front tires? I just got my tires aligned and the alignment was relatively good but the outsides of the front tires were more worn compared to the inside. Trying to figure out what could cause the wear since the alignment was good.

My rear shocks were replaced within 50,000 miles but I don't think the front shocks have ever been replaced. There is no doubt that they do need it- I'm the second owner and the truck has 139k on it.

2. Feb 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Not sure if its the same but when I had my Mustang my wife thought she was in the Daytona 500 all the time. She wore the outside edges off from driving so fast through turns. When I took it in for tires, the shop thought alignment was bad, but it was fine.

3. Feb 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    The outer tread will always wear faster than any other part of the four tires because of ^that. Even if you don't take corners quick it's still going to wear because all the weight gets thrown to that tire in a turn. If it's bad rotate the rears tires up and fronts swap sides in rear

4. Feb 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    pidro_el_pirata

pidro_el_pirata [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yea I had them rotated so they will even out. I was just wondering about the technical aspects of the suspension affecting the wear.

Products Discussed in

To Top