Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

34" Tires - Nothing but the truth.... BF Goodrich KM2 - 285/75r17

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #41
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Wait till you add new UCA and your tire moves back ANOTHER half inch lmao! Don't let the rear cycle without glass.When you go negative arch the axle moves forward and you will rip off your fender flare.
Really man?..... Do some research before you post your unsubstantiated lift claims(By unsubstantiated I mean no pics or details of your truck other than running off at the mouth about how others advice almost "ripped your bumper off") . Oh and listen to people who have actually addressed these problems that have been documented on this site. Once again feel free to PM me . Have a lovely evening and don't forget to read quotes below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
There is glass for the whole truck. Again, I am well aware that the tires will hit the stock body parts. The UCA may change the tire location depending on your alignment specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
All but LRs will add caster and that will move tire back. The LRs you can go any way you want so...

Bump your caster via the LCA and you'll move it forward, a little...
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #42
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Really man?..... Do some research before you post your unsubstantiated lift claims(By unsubstantiated I mean no pics or details of your truck other than running off at the mouth about how others advice almost "ripped your bumper off") . Oh and listen to people who have actually addressed these problems that have been documented on this site. Once again feel free to PM me . Have a lovely evening and don't forget to read quotes below....
Hahaha get mad!!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #43
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
Hahaha get mad!!
Nope, not mad just a little frustrated with this guy. Multiple requests for PM's and nada. Just keeps showing up in 285 threads with nothing to back it up but " I almost ripped my bumper off because you told me........"
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #45
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Here you go son...

Post chop. 2.5 degree caster. 1" compression. 285/70r17. 2 deg uniball UCA.

I have spouted my unsubstantiated BS (by this you mean my posting my pics and details of my self installed and self trouble shot suspension?) all over because I was told things that are false and try to help and educate others. Sorry if that offends you. I will try to talk more shit to those helping others like you do so I fit in better. No desire to PM you.

Nothing I said is wrong. UCA that corrects caster makes rubbing worse. He will tear off flare without glass. Nothing but the truth... just like the post title.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #46
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery

Above is TSB + Icon. This is POST Ubolt flip to raise bump stop and POST relocate plate to lower axle and space it back 3/4". This is 285/70r17. The tire is narrower and smaller than the OP's tire. I previously ripped that fender off because forum consensus was 285/70r17 fit without rubbing.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #47
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here you go son...

Thanks Dad. I guess from here on out we'll just agree to disagree. I tend to not take others words on the interweb for absolute truth. But by your logic, if you tell me that my 285's will rub no matter what I use my truck for, I will have to do a CMC, and pinch weld beating today. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The tire is narrower and smaller than the OP's tire.
Oh, and 285 is 285 no matter what the aspect ratio is.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #48
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Above is TSB + Icon. This is POST Ubolt flip to raise bump stop and POST relocate plate to lower axle and space it back 3/4". This is 285/70r17. The tire is narrower and smaller than the OP's tire. I previously ripped that fender off because forum consensus was 285/70r17 fit without rubbing.
This is when I had 285/75/16's on my truck before I had the All-Pro leafpack and I wasn't able to hit my fender at all. I always had around 1/2" of clearance all around. You could always bump it so it doesn't ever have a chance of hitting if you want. When I upgraded to 315/75/16's with the All-Pro's and new bumps I wasn't able to hit fender either.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #49
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The tire is narrower and smaller than the OP's tire.
Oh, and 285 is 285 no matter what the aspect ratio is.
Negative. All 285 width tires are different widths. The OP's tire is both taller and wider than mine. All 285/70R17 are also different diameter and widths... you can have .4" width difference or more. Tires are unique in size by model.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #50
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
This is when I had 285/75/16's on my truck before I had the All-Pro leafpack and I wasn't able to hit my fender at all. I always had around 1/2" of clearance all around. You could always bump it so it doesn't ever have a chance of hitting if you want. When I upgraded to 315/75/16's with the All-Pro's and new bumps I wasn't able to hit fender either.

285/75R16s are almost universally smaller than 285/70R17s. Once you get close in fitting or not, the tire size becomes critical.

Since the leaf pack determines axle location fore/aft, different leaf packs will rub or not in front of wheel well, for a given tire size. AllPro seems to space the axle more rearward, to match the lift height. The factory leaf and TSB leaf do not.

Wheel back spacing and width also effects rubbing. An 8" wheel with 4.5" backspace wil move the wheel in .5" compared to a 9" 4.5" BS wheel and thus reduce rubbing.

Since the leaf pack thickness (along with any and everything over the axle like a Ubolt flip plate) determines bump height (if mounted to top of pack) or bump travel (if mounted to frame) and thus the amount of up travel you have available. A thicker leaf, like the AllPro, will allow less compression vs. a very thin leaf like TSB + Icon - overload, becaue of this (unless you have some alternate bump set up). Most people willling to spend the money on glass and 34" tires are not going to be wanting to throw away their wheel travel by simply extending their bump stops. Maximizing up travel is just as important as maximizing down travel, especially in trucks like ours, with limited articulation. Of course glass solves 99% of all fitting problems in the rear.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #51
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Negative. All 285 width tires are different widths. The OP's tire is both taller and wider than mine. All 285/70R17 are also different diameter and widths... you can have .4" width difference or more. Tires are unique in size by model.
Ummm. Positive. I find it comical that you only choose to address this when it's convenient to your argument. I have agreed with you on some of the most basic thoughts that you have given us. Not all of us have an absolutely identical suspension setup as you. Edit: Nobody has an identical setup as you. Every truck is minutely different. How about a truce. I'll stop telling people that don't wheel that 285's will fit depending on specific tire manufacturer, proper wheel backspacing and lift height, and you stop telling people that 285's won't fit regardless of lift and/ or backspacing. Then we can stop clogging otherwise useful threads with no PM's, Deal?

Quote:

A thicker leaf, like the AllPro, will allow less compression vs. a very thin leaf like TSB + Icon -

And the thickness of the leaf does not necessarily indicate spring rate.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #52
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery

I for one appreciate the back and forth on this. I'd be pissed if everyone said, "Sure.. no problem" and I couldn't make it work. At the same time if I wanted a bigger tire and saw someone with it when I'd been told it wasn't attainable, I'd wish I would have tried.

Good debate and discussion for considerations. A lot of people read these threads when deciding what they want to do, myself included.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #53
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

And the thickness of the leaf does not necessarily indicate spring rate.
I think what he was saying is the AllPro leaf pack is thicker then the stock leaf pack and if the bump stop is mounted in the stock position on top of the pack, the axle will be further away from the bump stop. Since the distance between the centerline of the axle and the bump stop has increased, the wheel/tire will not be as far up in the wheel well when the bump stop hits the frame as it would be with the stock pack.

Spring rate is kind of irrelevant when discussing wheel travel anyway. With a properly spec'ed spring rate for a given application, the bump stop is the limiting factor in available up travel, and unsprung weight and/or available shackle travel is the limiting factor for down travel. Obviously that is for leaf springs and assumes proper length shocks, brake lines and so on.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #54
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Not that I want to wander back into this thread but:

- Tires of the same metric size will differ in actual size.
- Wheel width and backspace affects contact

and

- Deal with your shit. If you want to run larger tires, clearance what needs clearancing and deal with what you can't clearance. It's not the internet's responsibility to make sure your modding goes according to plan. That's your responsibility.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #55
Limitless is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
Limitless's Tacoma Gallery
The BFG's KM2 that I am running is 33.9 OAD.

Here are some pics from the a week ago. Please note, more grinding, pounding and cutting was done after these pics.

-The lower portion of the pinch weld was ground flat.

-The Cab mount went back another 1/4" - 3/8"

-And the Sledge Hammer came out for good measure.

I will post the finished, well almost finished, shots up when I get a chance.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #56
Here is a descriptive pick of the further cutting, beating and grinding that followed:

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #57
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
I was able to beat my pinch weld almost flat, why cut? Am I missing something I should be noticing?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #58
Sorry To Everyone Following My Threads. My Embedded Image Code Got Stripped From My Posts!!!! Not Cool.

Here is a link to the gallery HERE