Fuel Hostage Rims??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Fish Killer
TampaTacoma is on a distinguished road

Army:
TampaTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Fuel Hostage Rims??

I have a 2013 TRD Sport double-cab and am looking to add 18" Fuel Hostage rims with 285/65 or 285/70 tires. Is anyone running the same or a similar set-up? Any photos or advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #2
whonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the roughwhonoez is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jay
whonoez's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to know too
Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Fish Killer

Army:
Ok, so after looking around I found two similar builds:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...er-3-lift.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oma-build.html

Liking what I saw from both I placed an order for 18" Fuel Hostage wheels (matte black) and 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler tires. I'll post some pics when complete. Gonna start with just the wheels and tires but will probably add a 1-2" lift in the future.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTacoma View Post
Ok, so after looking around I found two similar builds:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...er-3-lift.html
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...oma-build.html

Liking what I saw from both I placed an order for 18" Fuel Hostage wheels (matte black) and 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler tires. I'll post some pics when complete. Gonna start with just the wheels and tires but will probably add a 1-2" lift in the future.
You do know that you cant put 285's on your truck without a lift right? I started out the same way wanting 18"s on 33"s but had to get a 3" lift for them to fit with some minor trimming.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
285/70 on an 18" wheel is almost a 34" tire. It will fit if you don't mind cutting
Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
285/70 on an 18" wheel is almost a 34" tire. It will fit if you don't mind cutting
He wont be able to fit those without a lift though. And with 34" tires he will need to do the cab chop mount.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Fish Killer

Army:
That was my concern. The wheels I ordered (Nitto 285/65/18) have a diameter of 32.52" so they "should" fit without the lift; however, they will likely rub especially during turns. I would like to add a lift in conjunction with the new tires but am unsure of which route to take. I believe a leveling kit to increase 1" in the front and 2" in the back should do the trick but am all ears for any suggestions.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
That was my concern. The wheels I ordered (Nitto 285/65/18) have a diameter of 32.52" so they "should" fit without the lift; however, they will likely rub especially during turns. I would like to add a lift in conjunction with the new tires but am unsure of which route to take. I believe a leveling kit to increase 1" in the front and 2" in the back should do the trick but am all ears for any suggestions.
Yeah I know the 285's are a little under the full 33"s but I still think your going to at least need a 2.5" lift up front to clear those tires with some trimming. The rears will be no problem for you but the fronts will. Only reason I say this is because when I started asking around a few years ago when I joined TW most everyone I talked to said I would need a lift to fit the 285's.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
Fish Killer

Army:
Just got the 18" Fuel Hostage wheels (matte black) and 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler tires installed and I'm thrilled with the look. Onto the next questions, how is the ride and is the lift needed? Well, the ride is great but I do get slight rubbing on the rear portion of the front wheel-well during full turns over bumps but nothing on flat surfaces, also no rubbing in the back. There is no issue clearing the UCAs; however, I haven't done any off-roading yet. Right now I'm looking at Bilstein 5100's set to 1.75" in the front with the factory coils to level the truck out and eliminate the rubbing. Eventually I'll be the back done as well. In the meantime I'll post pics and assessments of the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Hostage Rims??-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.

I'm surprised you arent rubbing more in the front without having any lift but thats a good thing I guess, haha. But once you lift the front it should help with the rubbing issues quite a bit more. Have you done any trimming yet?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
Fish Killer

Army:
No trimming, was hoping to avoid that if possible but we will see after the lift.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
No trimming, was hoping to avoid that if possible but we will see after the lift.
Wow I'm really surprised you havent had to trim anything cause even people with lifts had to trim. Dont worry, if you do have to trim its just minor stuff that can be easily done with a Dremel.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
AZDesertTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Pamela
AZDesertTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just got the 18" Fuel Hostage wheels (matte black) and 285/65/18 Nitto Terra Grappler tires installed and I'm thrilled with the look. Onto the next questions, how is the ride and is the lift needed? Well, the ride is great but I do get slight rubbing on the rear portion of the front wheel-well during full turns over bumps but nothing on flat surfaces, also no rubbing in the back. There is no issue clearing the UCAs; however, I haven't done any off-roading yet. Right now I'm looking at Bilstein 5100's set to 1.75" in the front with the factory coils to level the truck out and eliminate the rubbing. Eventually I'll be the back done as well. In the meantime I'll post pics and assessments of the process.
Looking good! How much do they stick out from the fender, from the picture I can't tell? What is the backspacing/offset?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
Tarpon24 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frankie
Tarpon24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wow that looks really clean on your truck.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Fish Killer

Army:
So my buddy's shop put the wheels and tires on for me and was supposed to run the lift at the same time but the springs are on back order for another week. Once it was all set up I would have gotten the specs, meaning I have no idea of the current backspacing/offset. I can tell you that the rims are nearly flush to side of the truck and I'm not running wheel spacers, so I'm assuming that my backspacing is near zero.

Pics:

Soon as I get the lift complete I'll post pics and full specs
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
Never Hesitate
CHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CHAOTICxDEMON's Tacoma Gallery
Those look like 18x9 and if they are then they have a -12mm offset...Correct me if im wrong OP. looks good though. Where them pics at?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
Fish Killer

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOTICxDEMON View Post
Those look like 18x9 and if they are then they have a -12mm offset...Correct me if im wrong OP. looks good though. Where them pics at?
Yep, they are 18x9s with 285/65/18 tires, and I believe you are correct on the offset. Here is the final product. The lift kit is from Toytec with Bilstein 5100's all around, the front is set to 2.5" with OME 883 coils and a 1.5" AAL in the rear.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #20
Never Hesitate
CHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shedCHAOTICxDEMON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CHAOTICxDEMON's Tacoma Gallery
Wow looks awesome op. I got some fuel boost heading my way. Thinking of putting 285/70/17 nitto terra tires on it. Not sure yet though. How do u like them tires? Any complaints?