Notices

Tire rubbing help?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
RobbySkateboard is on a distinguished road
Name: Robby
RobbySkateboard's Tacoma Gallery
Tire rubbing help?

I installed a lift a while ago (OME) on my 05 tacoma, put on some 285/70/17's on the stock rim and had some rubbing if I turned the wheel about 1.25 rotations either direction, I kind of wrote it off assuming it was rubbing on the LR UCA's as I had read other people's were doing that and I could physically see it was REALLY close to it (I never did see them actually touching though) and so I installed some 1.25" spidertrax hoping to alleviate my problem, but alas I have made it much, much worse, I now rub on my fender if I turn the steering wheel .25 rotations, which I actually got out of the car to look at, so I'm wondering if I was rubbing on those the whole time or if it was the UCA's, either way, I need to fix the rubbing ASAP as I am going on a trip Friday morning and will be doing some off roading. I searched the forums and saw the pinch weld mod and that looks like what I need to do but everywhere I saw that mentioned that as a solution was in the 1st gen section so I'm wondering if it's not as easy on a 2nd gen or if there is a better solution for us 05+ guys. I have to do this before 2pm tomorrow (when I work) or else I won't get the chance to do it and have to take off my new spidertrax to make it rub less before my trip and I REALLY would like to have the spidertrax on. Anyone able to provide any help? Thanks for anything.
-Robby
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Those are some big tires to stuff in there, the three areas you may be rubbing is the mudflap, the plastic behind the mudflap and the cab mount (inside the fender at the lowermost back area), examine each of these areas to try to see any wear froma a tire and start there. If it's just the plastic you have no choice but to try to cut enough off to solve it. If the rub is one the metal back insde the wheel well I would ditch the front spidertax until you can get someone to do a cab mount chop for you.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
with stock wheels you need spacers to stop rubbage on the UCA
but now that they're away from the UCA... it's time to cut
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
Bro do you even 'Merica?
jdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdk52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
jdk52's Tacoma Gallery
Exacto knife and a pair of tin snips. You could also try a heat gun.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Well robby im the one that convinced you to get spacers awhile ago, sorry if you feel like i fucked you. The thing is, rubbing on the UCA will kill your tires after awhile and you cant trim the UCA. You can trim everything your rubbing now tho. Like everyone else said it might not be major, take some pictures for us, try stuffing the suspension at full lock, get out and look to see if you rub the cab mount.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Well robby im the one that convinced you to get spacers awhile ago, sorry if you feel like i fucked you.
Not at all, I appreciate your help with my lift. If I need to cut that part that bulges out, so be it I can handle that. But the cab mount chop is where I'm going to need someone else. Anyone here in SoCal around Thousand Oaks do that? I'll get out there with a knife and get that thing cut off in just a few and hopefully that's all I need to clear.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbySkateboard View Post
Not at all, I appreciate your help with my lift. If I need to cut that part that bulges out, so be it I can handle that. But the cab mount chop is where I'm going to need someone else. Anyone here in SoCal around Thousand Oaks do that? I'll get out there with a knife and get that thing cut off in just a few and hopefully that's all I need to clear.
Look at the Socal regional threads and post your query there, I'm sure someone within shooting distance would help a brother out
Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Take some pics of where your rubbing and post. Should be pretty easy to figure out where just by looking
Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
I removed the mudflaps and cut the plastic stuff in front of the tire where it was rubbing which solved my problem. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it, especially having searched for cab mount chop after you guys said it and then seeing all the other threads just like mine where people got mad at them for not searching, haha. I DID search, I just got side tracked by pinch weld mod which was a solution to the first few tire rubbing problems but I guess they were all 1st gen'ers. Thanks for 1) helping and 2) not getting on my case about making a thread that exists 1000 times over.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbySkateboard View Post
I removed the mudflaps and cut the plastic stuff in front of the tire where it was rubbing which solved my problem. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it, especially having searched for cab mount chop after you guys said it and then seeing all the other threads just like mine where people got mad at them for not searching, haha. I DID search, I just got side tracked by pinch weld mod which was a solution to the first few tire rubbing problems but I guess they were all 1st gen'ers. Thanks for 1) helping and 2) not getting on my case about making a thread that exists 1000 times over.
No sweat dude, glad the problem got solved