Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Running 275/70R17 Tires w/ Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" w/ Offset Wheels or Spacers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Running 275/70R17 Tires w/ Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75" w/ Offset Wheels or Spacers

Long Story Short: It Works!

Current Front Suspension:

Bilstein 5100 Shocks @ 1.75" w/ Stock TRD Coils
Everything Else Stock

Current Rear Suspension:

Wheelers 1.5" 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
Bilstein 5100 Shocks
All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit

Current Wheels & Tires:

Pro Comp 17X8" 7089 w/ 4.5" Backspace
275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST

I had the slightest of rub on the front/rear at full lock in either direction. The tires were only making contact with plastic, and I took care of that tonight. I am very happy with the look and feel of the tires.

What I Trimmed

Front Of Wheel Well

Rear of Wheel Well

I'm sorry I didn't take before shots, but I do hope that this can help someone searching for the answer in the future.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Without a doubt it's tight, but I took it out for a test drive after trimming, and I'm very happy with the results. I think I will take care of the CMC and possibly the pinch weld here in the near future, just to allow for a little more room if needed when flexing. I'm by no means a serious off road driver, but I do drive through irrigation ditches to check on the cows and cut a little jag of firewood here and there. I might drive down old skid trails to get to a good fishing hole or deer camp, but besides that she is my daily driver and sees a lot more pavement that dirt; if you don't count our driveway.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great Wes. Have you noticed any rubbing on the Cab Mount/Pinch Weld yet?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Looks good!

I'm planning on running the BFG AT's in the same size. I'm going with a full 3" though but with same size wheel and offset.

Good to know... Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Nice! Looks good! Good to know... Thanks
Thanks! You will have no problem with rubbing with that lift an this size tire. I will make the bump to 3" someday, but for now this suits my needs and fits our budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Taco View Post
Looks great Wes. Have you noticed any rubbing on the Cab Mount/Pinch Weld yet?
Thank you! Not at all, in regards to the rubbing. Since trimming the plastic there has been no rubbing. I actually crawled underneath last night to check for any signs of rubbing. I have been tentative to the matter due to the fact that they are brand new tires and I want to avoid any premature wear or chunking. Everything looks good, but I will still be taking care of my cab mount and pinch weld in the near future; a little extra space during flex is always welcomed.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what happened to your MPG after putting these one?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
Hey man, I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what happened to your MPG after putting these one?
I have a regular commute and I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBDII adapter and I only notice a 0.2-0.5 mpg drop. The Cooper's are 6 Ply (C Load Range) and really weren't that much heavier than the Toyo ATs that I had on before hand, and it would appear the ~2" larger diameter tires didn't make much of a difference in mileage, but the truck looks great IMO and the added height and traction is always appreciated even in the most mild off-road situations.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tencrawler View Post
I have a regular commute and I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBDII adapter and I only notice a 0.2-0.5 mpg drop. The Cooper's are 6 Ply (C Load Range) and really weren't that much heavier than the Toyo ATs that I had on before hand, and it would appear the ~2" larger diameter tires didn't make much of a difference in mileage, but the truck looks great IMO and the added height and traction is always appreciated even in the most mild off-road situations.
Okay thanks man. I really want to go with this size but I was having a hard time finding a c rated tire. The st's are one of the few options but I heard somewhere that they weren't going to make them anymore once they introduce the st max in this size and those only come in e rated
Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
Okay thanks man. I really want to go with this size but I was having a hard time finding a c rated tire. The st's are one of the few options but I heard somewhere that they weren't going to make them anymore once they introduce the st max in this size and those only come in e rated
You can still find them at Sears. It appeared that they have a fairly large stock of the last production run of the ST. If you go this route, they offer all of the bells and whistles that you would get at any other tire dealer, and I have found thier service better most of the time. Chances are they will have to order the tire from a regional warehouse, and then be sure to check the mfg/exp date of each tire.

thttp://www.sears.com/cooper-discoverer-st-lt275-70r17c-114q-owl-off-road/p-09534905000P
Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
Watt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatt maker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
Watt maker's Tacoma Gallery
Are you still liking these tires? Thinking of picking a set of these up. Just want to factor in everything. Mpg, noise, balance, on and off road performance, dry, wet, snow, ice, etc......
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
FARNORCAL is a jewel in the roughFARNORCAL is a jewel in the roughFARNORCAL is a jewel in the rough
Coast Guard: MK
Name: Ryan
FARNORCAL's Tacoma Gallery
Can you take a picture from the front and rear to show how far your tire sticks out from fenders?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt maker View Post
Are you still liking these tires? Thinking of picking a set of these up. Just want to factor in everything. Mpg, noise, balance, on and off road performance, dry, wet, snow, ice, etc......
I still very happy with my choice. I just picked up Goodyear Wrangler MT/R off of Craigslist and FJ steel wheel for a full size/adequate backspacing spare. With that being said. When I need new tires, if I can find these size Cooper ST, I will most likely go with them again, and depending if the Tacoma is still my daily driver, I might go with a more aggressive tire like the MTR, until then the noise is negligible, MPG loss was less than 1 MPG, no added vibes or shimmys, handle great in all weather conditions (never been in sand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARNORCAL View Post
Can you take a picture from the front and rear to show how far your tire sticks out from fenders?
They are almost perfectly flush with the stock fender flares. Hope that helps.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
Blue Barchetta
FuzzyRuttin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russ
FuzzyRuttin's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting.. I was just looking into buying new tires, currently have 275/70/17s, exactly what you installed. I've had this taco for just over 2 years now (bought used) and wondered what was done to the front end to fit this size of tire... it's obviously not stock. You said Bilstein shocks get the job done, and as it turns out, my shocks are lt blue/yellow (Bilstein colors, right??) The tires in your original post are the exact tires I was eyeing, and figured I'd do a quick search on this forum.

So, how do you like the Coopers? Recommend?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #15
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyRuttin View Post
Interesting.. I was just looking into buying new tires, currently have 275/70/17s, exactly what you installed. I've had this taco for just over 2 years now (bought used) and wondered what was done to the front end to fit this size of tire... it's obviously not stock. You said Bilstein shocks get the job done, and as it turns out, my shocks are lt blue/yellow (Bilstein colors, right??) The tires in your original post are the exact tires I was eyeing, and figured I'd do a quick search on this forum.

So, how do you like the Coopers? Recommend?
The adjustable Bilsteins have a silver body. The Bilstein 5100 are most likely the most cost effective way to achieve this minimal lift, but another adjustable coil/strut combo could do the same.

As far as the Coopers go, I still like them quite a bit. I have had them for a year, and they have held up very well. The noise is minimal and they look great on the truck. As mentioned above in an earlier reply, they have performed great in all conditions.

Bilstein 5100 w/ stock coil
Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
I suppose you don't have tsb leaf pack right? did you left overload leaf in after installing the progressive AAL?
so if rear lifted +1.5 and front +1.75, you reduced rake by about 0.25. looks pretty level.
I plan to do the same.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #17
Blue Barchetta
FuzzyRuttin is on a distinguished road

Name: Russ
FuzzyRuttin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tencrawler View Post
The adjustable Bilsteins have a silver body. The Bilstein 5100 are most likely the most cost effective way to achieve this minimal lift, but another adjustable coil/strut combo could do the same.

As far as the Coopers go, I still like them quite a bit. I have had them for a year, and they have held up very well. The noise is minimal and they look great on the truck. As mentioned above in an earlier reply, they have performed great in all conditions.

Bilstein 5100 w/ stock coil
Ok, you got me to finally crawl on my stomach and take a snapshot to figure this out. The label at the bottom says 'Toyota Bilstein'... Must be these.

Thanks to the nasty salted northeast roads this truck has put up with all its life, everything is pretty damn crumby. (Dammit my car stays in the garage!)

The rear-end is still OEM, so there's obviously tons of negative rake. But anyway, Bilsteins do seem like a good inexpensive option.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #18
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyRuttin View Post
Ok, you got me to finally crawl on my stomach and take a snapshot to figure this out. The label at the bottom says 'Toyota Bilstein'...

Thanks to the nasty salted northeast roads this truck has put up with all its life, everything is pretty damn crumby. (Dammit my car stays in the garage!)

The rear-end is still OEM, so there's obviously tons of negative rake. But anyway, Bilsteins do seem like a good inexpensive option.
Those are the stock Bilsteins that come on the TRD models. What does the top of the coil over look like? is there any sort of spacer (i.e. hockey puck)?

Check out wheelersoffroad.com
1.5" AAL: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product-c...n-and-chassis/
5100 Shocks
Front: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/b...trut-set-c477/
Rear: http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/b...urrent-tacoma/