LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire & Wheel Help

Reply
 
* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
jenk34 [OP] jenk34 is offline
Senior Member
jenk34 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
Joined: Mar 2013, #99523
Location: Pinckneyville, IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 105
jenk34's Tacoma Gallery
Tire & Wheel Help

I know that this topic is worn out, but I would really like some help and opinions.

I have a 2012 silver Double Cab TRD Off Road. I'm currently researching the best wheel/tire package for my truck and my needs. I know that I want to get the Method Double Standard wheels and Goodyear DuraTrac tires. I also know that I'll be getting the Bilstein 5100s on my truck to level it out.

My problem is choosing between at 16" or 17" wheel. If money didn't matter, I would go with the 17 and the 285/70/17 combo. I don't (really) want to do a cab mount chop in order to avoid rubbing. I also don't want to take a hit to my gas mileage.

That is why I am leaning heavily towards the 265/75/16s. The cost is reduced some and it also seems like less of a hassle. The only downfall to me is looks. I just feel like there is huge difference in "toughness".

Opinions?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
KPT KPT is offline
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
KPT's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2009, #22227
Gender: Male
Posts: 34,059
KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenk34 View Post
I know that this topic is worn out, but I would really like some help and opinions.

I have a 2012 silver Double Cab TRD Off Road. I'm currently researching the best wheel/tire package for my truck and my needs. I know that I want to get the Method Double Standard wheels and Goodyear DuraTrac tires. I also know that I'll be getting the Bilstein 5100s on my truck to level it out.

My problem is choosing between at 16" or 17" wheel. If money didn't matter, I would go with the 17 and the 285/70/17 combo. I don't (really) want to do a cab mount chop in order to avoid rubbing. I also don't want to take a hit to my gas mileage.

That is why I am leaning heavily towards the 275/65/16s. The cost is reduced some and it also seems like less of a hassle. The only downfall to me is looks. I just feel like there is huge difference in "toughness".

Opinions?
Never heard of a 275/65/16. You realize that's smaller than the stock tires, right?

If you don't want to rub, with a 3" lift, you could go with 275/70/17.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
dan33900 is on a distinguished road
 
dan33900's Avatar
Name: Dan
Joined: Sep 2012, #86844
Location: Maumelle, Arkansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 124
dan33900's Tacoma Gallery
I run the 275/70/17 on 17 inch Toyota 4 Runner sport wheeels and have no rubbing. But I have seen a loss of 1 mile per gallon in my fuel economy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
jenk34 [OP] jenk34 is offline
Senior Member
jenk34 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
Joined: Mar 2013, #99523
Location: Pinckneyville, IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 105
jenk34's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Never heard of a 275/65/16. You realize that's smaller than the stock tires, right?

If you don't want to rub, with a 3" lift, you could go with 275/70/17.
I didn't mean to put that. I fixed it in my original post. I've been looking at too many tire sizes lately! haha
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
jenk34 [OP] jenk34 is offline
Senior Member
jenk34 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
Joined: Mar 2013, #99523
Location: Pinckneyville, IL
Gender: Male
Posts: 105
jenk34's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan33900 View Post
I run the 275/70/17 on 17 inch Toyota 4 Runner sport wheeels and have no rubbing. But I have seen a loss of 1 mile per gallon in my fuel economy.
Are you happy with your setup? Can you tell a difference in your mpg and mph?

My original plan was to go with Bilstein 5100s all around, 17" wheels and 285/70/17 DuraTracs, but I don't want to do a cab mount chop. I also don't want to mess up my mph and mpg.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
dan33900 is on a distinguished road
 
dan33900's Avatar
Name: Dan
Joined: Sep 2012, #86844
Location: Maumelle, Arkansas
Gender: Male
Posts: 124
dan33900's Tacoma Gallery
I went Bilstein all the way around (Toytec Ultimate kit) rides great, lots of clearance to get in to my duck camp. Highway speeds are not a problem and last highway trip averaged 20.2 mpg not bad for cruising at an average speed of 76 mph.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire & Wheel Suggestions grissom 1st Gen. Tacomas 0 02-14-2013 09:09 AM
Wheel & Tire Help dam777 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 02-07-2013 04:42 PM
Wheel & Tire Package Taco84 Buy / Sell / Trade 0 07-18-2012 11:52 PM
Wheel & Tire Combo? Hdeuce22 Wheels & Tires 10 06-26-2012 12:58 PM
Tire & Wheel Fitment dubstar2003 Wheels & Tires 15 04-11-2010 06:31 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.