Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

16x8" FN Wheels Five Star and 315/75R16 MT Baja Claw TTC

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
niptek is on a distinguished road
niptek's Tacoma Gallery
16x8" FN Wheels Five Star and 315/75R16 MT Baja Claw TTC

I just wanted to show you guys and girls a build I've been working on with my buddy. This is his truck, but he doesn't get on the forums to post much these days, so I'm posting on his behalf. It'll also serve as my review / thoughts on the wheels and tires, since I was involved with helping to source them and test everything out.

Vehicle:
2006 Tacoma Sport Double Cab Short Bed - 2WD

Suspension:
Bilstein / RCD 5100 adjustable shocks
OME 885 Springs
Camburg 4.0" lift Spindles
Total Chaos upper control arms
TSB Leaf Springs w/ 2" Toytec Add-a-leaf
1" Toytec Rear Block

Wheels/Tires:
FN Wheels Five Star - 16x8" -25mm offset 3.52" back spacing matte black wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC LT315/75R16 (35x12.50R16) tires

Misc.
Body mount chop
Fender liner / over fender plastic has been trimmed
Extended brake lines

Wheel/tire clearance is very good after trimming and chopping. There is only a slight rub at full lock. The body chop modification is a must with this tire size, and trimming of the plastic fender pieces is also a must. Tim from DMZ Fab and Race Prep did the body chop for us, and his work is flawless.

The FN Wheels Five Stars wheels gave us just the look that we were going for - simple, clean, understated, and yet aggressive. The stance is exactly what we wanted. Suspension clearance (UCA) is excellent with the wheels' 3.52" back spacing. The wheels are also extremely light weight. They weighed in at 18.5lbs on my bathroom scale.

The Mickey Thompson tires are awesome too. We've only done some light - medium trails so far, but the tires are great. They cut right through any mud that we encountered, and traction in the gravel was excellent. Overall traction is very good on-road as well. Noise level and on-road ride comfort is quite bearable, and of course the looks of these tires are amazing. I believe the MT Baja Claw TT's are fairly unique in that they are directional tires, which seems rare for an MT tire. Aside from any claimed performance benefits from being directional (I can't tell a difference yet from the driving we've done), the look of the directional tread pattern is bitchin'.

Here are some photos as the truck sits now:

(Photos courtesy of our friend Son from Hasback Photography)

Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
Very very sexy looking truck
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
looks so sick dude !
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Looks real good! Any particular reason you went with camburg vs maxtrac spindles?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I wasn't a 4x4 ... I wont say that when it snows though. Looks SICK
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Wow, never heard that before!
Truck looks great! I like those tires.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by veet skeet View Post
No rubbing with 35s and 4 inch lift?
it says in the op.....
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i like it! real easy on the eyes .
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
caffeine nicotine gasoline
livel0veryde is on a distinguished road

Name: josh Rockett
livel0veryde's Tacoma Gallery
How do the tires where with that narrow of a rim?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
didn't read, too much text. my b
i agree
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
niptek's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlooney View Post
Looks real good! Any particular reason you went with camburg vs maxtrac spindles?
No particular reason. We've had these Camburg spindles for a long time, and at the time Maxtrac wasn't making spindles for the Tacoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Haha! I wouldn't mind having a 4x4 actually! Like you implied though, no spindle lift option for 4x4's though.

Quote:
No rubbing with 35s and 4 inch lift?
I see that you re-read the post, but I don't mind answering your question. There is a slight amount of rubbing on the fender liner with the steering wheel at full lock. We're going to get back in there this weekend and finishing trimming the part that is rubbing.

There is no rubbing on the frame with body chop modification having already been performed, but I'm certain there would be frame rubbing with 35's and no body chop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livel0veryde View Post
How do the tires where with that narrow of a rim?
I'm not anticipating any abnormal wear, since the approved rim width is 8" - 11". If the wheels were narrower than 8" I think that the tires might wear more in the center, but speaking from my experience working in tire shops and as a mechanic, as long as you stick to the manufacturer's approved rim width range the tires wear just fine. We'll probably keep the tire pressure in the low 30's psi for the street.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...aClawTTCRadial

Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
top flight security
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
do the bilsteins + spindles give it 6" lift? or 5.5 etc, or does it not work like that.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
niptek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
do the bilsteins + spindles give it 6" lift? or 5.5 etc, or does it not work like that.
I'd estimate 5.5" - 6". It definitely is higher than just the spindles alone (we had just the spindles alone installed for a little while).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
nice looking ride man
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Very clean and simple looking, I like it! Ive been wanting to upgrade to 35s as well
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
niptek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost JuNkY View Post
Very clean and simple looking, I like it! Ive been wanting to upgrade to 35s as well
Thanks! We're really happy with the 35's. It's been a few weeks that they've been on there now, and all is still well.

We just picked up a 2007 Tundra for our next project. Got a really good deal on it!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #20
Stocko is on a distinguished road
Stocko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by niptek View Post
Thanks! We're really happy with the 35's. It's been a few weeks that they've been on there now, and all is still well.

We just picked up a 2007 Tundra for our next project. Got a really good deal on it!
Hey man, so I've been staring at these pics for a week now. Awesome look.

Wondering...how did these tires wear? Some say they're like an eraser on pavement...trying to justify the investment but I don't off road much sadly. Just the beach once in a while.