Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Biggest 17 inch tire with 3 inch lift

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Gloade16 is on a distinguished road

Gloade16's Tacoma Gallery
Biggest 17 inch tire with 3 inch lift

Getting a 3 inch procomp lift put on my truck with UAC's, and deciding on tire size. Anyone know what size i could run without trimming? 17 inch wheels, heard people can run 285/70/17 with no rubbing but also heard that people are rubbing with this size as well.
Pictures would be appreciated!!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, Its different for everybody. Some people claim 285s don't rub with a lift, some people had to cut and CMC.
Some people even said that 265s will rub on their front mudflaps!
So it really depends on the backspacing and offset of your wheels, amount of caster, and if you plan on off roading or not. I like the look of 285s, but i'll stick to 265s because I plan to wheel mine, and its my DD. Gas prices suck here...
Maybe when it gets a little older, i'll be more willing to cut and go bigger, but right now it only has 3,500 miles on it.
There are a few threads here about perfect offset and backspacing to minimize rubbing, but it still differs truck to truck.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloade16 View Post
Getting a 3 inch procomp lift put on my truck with UAC's, and deciding on tire size. Anyone know what size i could run without trimming? 17 inch wheels, heard people can run 285/70/17 with no rubbing but also heard that people are rubbing with this size as well.
Every 285/70/R17 is different in size. That said I had to do quite a bit of plastic cutting, metal trimming, mud flap removal and cab mount chop to fit 285/70R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x9 4.5" BS wheels -13mm offset.

I guarantee you, without a doubt, you cannot run 285/70R17 without trimming. Noone can. If they say they don't rub I GUARANTEE you they are lying. I had to cut quite a bit of metal and ripped off one of my rear fender flares offroading. I had to add a Ubolt flip and axle relocation plates to get the rear to clear with stock bumps.

ABOVE is PRE axle relocate plate and Ubolt flip...

ABOVE is POST cab mount chop and trimming with minimal compression... needed to set caster to over 3 degrees to clear.

ABOVE is the very start of my trimming...

You will need a cab mount chop, then cut the plastic and the black liner plastic I am holding up to and including that bottom lip below that bolt above my finger. You need to cut back the sheet metal there so its almost even with the cab mount chop then roll the lip. You need to pound the pinch weld FLAT up to thatupper cut I made in the plastic there.

ABOVE metal mount for the mud flaps cut out and the edge folded over. You can see how the tire sweeps through that area when turning and arcing side to side, especially under compression.

ABOVE you can see how you need to cut back the black liner to expose the pinch weld... it must go from sticking out into the wheel well at a 90 degree angle to being FLAT, not just folded over gently, but FLAT. Requires extensive use of a full sized sledgehammer.

With UCA that add caster by moving the UCA BACK to add 2 degrees you move the tire BACK as well meaning you compound rubbing issuus. I had PERFECT 2.5 degree caster but the wheel was too far rearward and was rubbing... had to get max caster which was over 3 degrees to get the tire to clear my cab mount POST CHOP. This first alignment was NOT ENOUGH.

Remember that 3" and lesser lifts (non drop bracket and non spindle lifts) DO NOT change rubbing... only how much compression is needed till it rubs. DO NOT let some asshat tell you that a 3" lift will "fit 285s without rubbing." Its going to rub and you need to do what is necessary to stop the rubbing. Its not rocket science. Its not difficult. It does take some tools and elbow grease and about 5 rounds of trimming bit by bit till you get a perfect, rub free fit. I was very pissed off because I listened to so many people say this would be easy as pie... it is not.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloade16 View Post
If you are not going to flex the suspension much, you could go with 275/70/17 and not have to trim much, if any.

But DevL's post above mine is right on, the lift won't change what rubs and doesn't rub when the suspension is compressed. Only trimming changes that.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
cbe513 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
cbe513's Tacoma Gallery
I have 3" procomp and ride with 285x70x17 with no issues at all. Nitto Terra Grappler
Attached Thumbnails
Biggest 17 inch tire with 3 inch lift-2013-02-22-07.29.29.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Arrrrgggghh...I was so close to pulling the trigger on 285/70/17's till I read this thread lol back to the drawing board...
Old 03-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
05taco2.7 is a splendid one to behold05taco2.7 is a splendid one to behold05taco2.7 is a splendid one to behold05taco2.7 is a splendid one to behold05taco2.7 is a splendid one to behold05taco2.7 is a splendid one to behold05taco2.7 is a splendid one to behold
Name: JIMSTER
05taco2.7's Tacoma Gallery
i run 265/70/17 general grabbers

before that had 255/70/17 bfg mud terrains

both had slight rubbing at full lock

ended up shoving caster WWAAYYY forward and trimming the front bumper to fit
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
3" pro comp
I got away with 285's and no CMC, 295's needed a CMC.

295s

Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
Arrrrgggghh...I was so close to pulling the trigger on 285/70/17's till I read this thread lol back to the drawing board...
Just trim and CMC.. trimming is only plastic and the CMC doesnt effect anything and you'd never know..
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
Speak English..it's America
testedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of lighttestedone is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11B
Name: Rick
testedone's Tacoma Gallery
True on the CMC, but if you don't have access to the tools to do it or shops that are "reasonable" then it is a pain...

Couple local places told me 3 hours to do it at $95.00 an hour.... (and these were SMALL independent shops)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
My biggest concern with the CMC is rust.