Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Line X'd vs Powder Coated Rims

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Line X'd vs Powder Coated Rims

Need some advice... I Plasti Dipped the rims on the truck,,, really like the way it looks. I want to make it more permanent. I know Powder Coat is more expensive, but, would you also Line X/Rhino Line your rims. If you have done either, please offer advice and any pictures. My truck sees all types of terrain as well as sand, mud, salt water (boat), and anything else i get into.

With the rims Plasti Dipped. I haven't done anything with the center caps yet, but plan on matching them to the rims with whatever i decide.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont want to pay that much, try the Rustoleum spray on bedliner. i have it on my truck and has held up well
Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
if you dont want to pay that much, try the Rustoleum spray on bedliner. i have it on my truck and has held up well
didn't even think of that option... thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
x 2 I have it on my avid light bar works well ...
Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
The Red Bull

With the rustoleum, is there any special prep work or typical scuff up with green pad and clean with alcohol?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

they make a coating check my build thread I think page 3? and it shows the steps I did .. I would atleast throw a primer on it
Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
lockwire24 is on a distinguished road

Navy: GSM2
Name: Mark
lockwire24's Tacoma Gallery
I used UPOL Rapter kit. So far it has held up except for when I hit the curb.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Line Ex can go kinda thick and not go on in a uniform and even pattern, making it a total bitch to balance the wheels/tires.

I would not recommend bedliner on wheels for that reason.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I can think of nothing uglier than LineX on wheels.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

I could see line-x being hard to balance but the bedliner coating is as thick as you apply it.. its rough but not uneven
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just use WHEEL paint?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #12

I assume he wanted a textured or rough coated wheel?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Line Ex can go kinda thick and not go on in a uniform and even pattern, making it a total bitch to balance the wheels/tires.

I would not recommend bedliner on wheels for that reason.

This is probably the most accurate comment I've ever read on this board.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
JiggyZ is on a distinguished road
JiggyZ's Tacoma Gallery
I have looked into this exact same issue myself.

I am doing a test patch on some flat steel even as I write this (really, it is drying in another room).

I have decided to go with the Rustoleum bed liner. There are some nice write ups on the Jeep forums and their photos look great. You can find many threads on application and some really good tips-google is your friend here.

Some have gone with primer and others have not. I am not.

Some have done the insides and some have not. I am not.

Some have done 2 coats others 3. Not sure yet.

The keys are:

Like most paint jobs, it is all in the preparation.

Wash with soap and water before and after sanding.

Use a 200 grit sandpaper wet sponge.

In the hard to reach areas, use a wire brush drill attachment, but go easy.

Hit is with acetone and/or Xylol to remove film I would acetone last to ensure the Xylol is off, since Xylol is also a removal agent for this product.

Mark and remove balancing weights for application-replace when cured/dried.

Also, place some coins at the bottom of the lug wells to ensure metal to metal contact-some think it is a big deal, others do not.

The logistics of doing this can also be a little tricky, if this is your only set of wheels and you need go somewhere.

My plan is to rough prep all the wheels one day. Arrive early at my shop the next day for a quick clean and then spray, and hope they are ready by the end of the day, even though can says 72 hours, but that is for throwing stuff in the back of your bed.
Others might complete the project over several days, while rotating the spare.

Some are a little leery of balance issues this may cause. It will probably throw them off very little, since the application is so thin and uniform. If it bothers you or if you notice something, get em rebalanced. Rebalancing or changing tires does not seem to do any damage.

The texture is like a rough spray job, but it goes on very even and dries uniformly, practically idiot proof. The process seems to be somewhat reversible, but your rims will be sanded if you take it off, and I am not aware of any that have done so.

This stuff goes on much finer than plastidip and is much more durable.

My thought process was:

Powdercoating: No. Downtime with the wheels, costs, still subject to damage.

New wheels: No. Nothing really jumped out at me and there are many that are just flat out hideous+ I really like the look of the stock wheel-it goes with the truck. Costs, downtime. I might consider some stock steelies for this option to accomidate OR driving, but not really necessary in my application.

Paint: No. A good option, but less durable. Some have used appliance epoxy here with good results, but too shiny for my application.

I will post up next week, once I finish and see if I can add any ideas. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
JiggyZ is on a distinguished road
JiggyZ's Tacoma Gallery
The test spray ended up being awesome.

After less than 24 hours it has a final cured appearance and will only scuff with metal on metal pounding. Not really even a scuff, since the bedliner is not releasing, looks like the metal I painted is dented but it is just the bedliner deflecting, but still holding strong.

Also, yesterday post mentioned using a wire drill attachment to get the hard to reach areas. While this will work, and I have seen this exact method mentioned, I think a softer sanding type drill attachment would do the trick without the risk of overdoing it with a wire type bit.

Once again, will keep the post updated once I finish up with the wheels and hopefully have a couple of bonus photos with the new kayak rack done with the same material and a new Demello plate bumper up front, which should be coming in late next week.