Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Do I need wheel spacers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
jerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to behold
jerysan's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jerysan
Do I need wheel spacers

I just bought the TRD Anthracite wheels and I need to find out if I still need to run my Spidertrax wheel spacers?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
RGosen is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 1st Battalion
Name: Christ would now agree, don't get yourself nailed to a tree
RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard of a lot of people just grinding the caliper a few mm as thats all it takes rather than spacers
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGosen View Post
I have heard of a lot of people just grinding the caliper a few mm as thats all it takes rather than spacers
Not needed for these wheels. And not really a great idea IMO across the board.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
jerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to beholdjerysan is a splendid one to behold
jerysan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
what size tires?
LT285/75R16
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
jerysan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I only have the spacers cause of the stock wheels. I know the Antharcite wheels have a 4.5 backspace and just want to make sure before I install the wheels and tires this weekend.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
4.5 backspacing should clear a 285/75/16 with minimal trimming
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOC View Post
4.5 backspacing should clear a 285/75/16 with minimal trimming
+1, you're good to go. It's going to be a nice setup.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
jerysan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
+1, you're good to go. It's going to be a nice setup.
I'll post pics later...now I have the full set up.
885x with 5100's up front with Built Right arms and 5100 on the rear.
Good thing I get toyota employee prices....great price on the wheels
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #10

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wheel spacers have shown to be a lot less safe than shaving a few mm off the cast of the caliper
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGosen View Post
Wheel spacers have shown to be a lot less safe than shaving a few mm off the cast of the caliper
Why not just buy wheels that fit?

Did I advocate the use of spacers?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #12

RGosen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why not just buy wheels that fit?

Did I advocate the use of spacers?

Haha cary true. Just hard to find soemtimes I guess..I did go back to wheels that fit as I didnt like the wheel wobble from my last new tires and wheels even after balence some rims and tires cause this issue...could be due to simply not having the correct rims on and tire sise