Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

help me understand this

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
wanna tacoma is on a distinguished road
wanna tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
help me understand this

I was leaving the grocery store and I saw a guy that lived in our neighborhood that has a '13 Tacoma(he used to have a Frontier) but he has Dick Cepek DC-2 on his but they look to be 17" wheels. I know most aftermarket wheels are 16x8 for 16's and 17x9 for 17s. How can the wider wheel fit and not rub. I know some of it has to do with backspacing. The specs for the DC-2 are
16x8
4 backspacing and -12mm offset

17x9
4.5 backspacing and -12mm offset

I know the 16x8 is .5 less backspacing so it will stick out more but the 17" wheel is 1" wider

I hope I haven't confused anybody.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
I was leaving the grocery store and I saw a guy that lived in our neighborhood that has a '13 Tacoma(he used to have a Frontier) but he has Dick Cepek DC-2 on his but they look to be 17" wheels. I know most aftermarket wheels are 16x8 for 16's and 17x9 for 17s. How can the wider wheel fit and not rub. I know some of it has to do with backspacing. The specs for the DC-2 are
16x8
4 backspacing and -12mm offset

17x9
4.5 backspacing and -12mm offset

I know the 16x8 is .5 less backspacing so it will stick out more but the 17" wheel is 1" wider

I hope I haven't confused anybody.
It's because the stock wheels are tucked so far into the fender (as far as the outer edge of the wheel is concerned). Folks routinely run the 17x9's with 4.5" BS with no issues on these trucks. They stick out 3" more than stock.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
So us 16" wheel guys could run a 16x8 with 4" backspacing or a 16x8.5" like the level 8 wheels. Still trying to decide which way I want to go.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So us 16" wheel guys could run a 16x8 with 4" backspacing or a 16x8.5" like the level 8 wheels. Still trying to decide which way I want to go.
What size tires do you want to go with?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
I will probably keep the ones I have now until they wear out. 265/70/16. I keep thinking about if I should get something that is hubcentric like the SCS F-5 wheels.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I will probably keep the ones I have now until they wear out. 265/70/16. I keep thinking about if I should get something that is hubcentric like the SCS F-5 wheels.
Be aware that many 265s are not approved for 9" wide wheels.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
OH I'm planning on staying with 16x8 or 16x8.5 wheels. Only 8.5's I know of is the level 8
Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post
Stay with the 16x8 if you want 265 tires. Any wider if a wheel you'll need to go to a 275 or 285. Stay away from the "hella flush" on the tacoma.
What is hella flush or what does that mean?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
"Not you, fat jesus"
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11A 1-184 IN
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What is hella flush or what does that mean?
Hellaflush a fad going around where individuals, primarily with import ricers, are putting tiny skinny tires on wide rims for a stretched look. Along with being an eyesore, it's unsafe as the sidewall was not designed to stretch that far out and support weight.

Granted this is on compact cars, but running a skinny tire on a wide wheel is the same concept. I was just using it as a figure of speech.

Try and keep the width of the tire. The same, if not larger than the width of the wheel, especially on a truck.